LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CM350 and wrx flywheel should be at my house when I get home. Same thing with Marc, I will attempt to provide feedback (hopefully good comments) when I can. My competition clutch didnt even last a year and I never even tracked it. Does anyone have any tips for contacting comp clutch and attempting to get some sort of warranty covered. I was not pleased at all and my mechanic thought it was very weird as well.

Cheers

Wow! Same with me haha! My competition clutch only lasted 9k Miles!!!! And I only launched the car once.

CM350 and wrx flywheel should be at my house when I get home. Same thing with Marc, I will attempt to provide feedback (hopefully good comments) when I can. My competition clutch didnt even last a year and I never even tracked it. Does anyone have any tips for contacting comp clutch and attempting to get some sort of warranty covered. I was not pleased at all and my mechanic thought it was very weird as well.

Cheers

Wow! Same with me haha! My competition clutch only lasted 9k Miles!!!! And I only launched the car once.

Did you attempt to get any money back or no? Contemplating not even contacting them but I would like a little money back as its ridiculous that it only lasted me 20k miles

No I didn't. I was also debating on calling but I threw out all my packaging / proof of purchase. At that point I already knew it would be a problem or a fight to get a replacement so I just bit the bullet and went ahead with CM.

Just got my CM FX350, WRX smfw, and TSK3 bearing kit installed by the guys at AZPinstalls and my first impression is the clutch pedal feel is amazing!!! It is extremely light, grabs hard and super low right when the pedal lifts. It took a few tries (stalls) getting used to over my super hard / heavy high grabbing comp clutch. Also there is ZERO chatter!!!! I put about 50 miles on it and will leave an update when it's broken in.

clutch installed and......holy cow!! pedal feel is amazing, not nearly as much decel chatter as the comp clutch, and NO SMELL. quite happy right now. other than im trying to hit every red light so I can get the break-in period over with :)

Before Mike changed the other one out he drove it and logged the slipping. I haven't had this one checked with a log, but it seems to be doing the same thing as the first.

It's possible I'm feeling something else, maybe the tune isn't right. I read somewhere that the new tuner Mike is using is more precise. My left valve cover is leaking, so my plan is to drive it through the winter to put more miles on the clutch. In the spring I'll pull the motor to fix the valve cover and have the flywheel resurfaced. My hope is that the clutch will be fully broken in by then. If it stops doing what it's doing I'll fix the valve cover with the motor in the car and call it good.

Im no expert but i would guess FW issue. When i took my OE one out the FW was in worse shape than the clutch disk.

Also the fx350 is very grabby for me. I have taken it to the drag strip several times. I just dont see it ever slipping for anything under 400whp.

Edit: Is slipping with about 13k miles :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a little under 9000 miles of a mostly hate relationship with this clutch, it's coming out. I sat in ridiculous stop and go traffic both Thursday and Friday on the way home from work and that was the final straw.

As I've posted previously, my clutch began to exhibit the notorious launch shudder that many others have reported. It got to the point where there was NO way to take off from a start without some level of shudder. I could change my take-off method to make it less severe or more brief, but it was never smooth. I began to hate driving the car. I also had serious fears of other components in the drive train breaking from the violent shaking.

So, Friday after I got home from work I put the car up on stands and ripped the damn thing out. It's getting replaced with an Exedy Stage 1 as it's rated to 301 ft-lbs on the wheels, which with my 16G and pump gas should be no problem. I don't have any intentions of going for more power. It's also full-face organic which will help ensure a smooth engagement. It's also about $150-200 cheaper than comparable full-faced organic clutches.

Flywheel (OEM SMFW) and throwout bearing (TSK3 kit) all look good so they'll be reused.

Pretty frustrating, but I need to like driving the car again. Plus, after a new clutch and the new Konis I'm also installing, it should be pretty nice.

I put me a CM fx350 in my spec b about a week ago. Factory clutch was slipping occasionally with exhaust/tune. It has a super strong hold, does not slip at all for me. Hitting boost in 5/6 gear, when it ramps up in boost pressure it sounds similar to when it was about to jump rpm slipping with original clutch, but it just rolls out (I love the available passing acceleration).

It is very evident that my motor mounts and trans mount are not in great condition. The whole drivetrain flops around during shifts, should have seen that coming, cause I took the trans out without a device to change the pitch of the motor/trans (for anyone who misses the reference, unless you get it in a sweet spot, she ain't coming out). So I am sure I helped myself trash the motor mounts.:spin:

Oh and guess what retard got a wrx single mass flywheel and tsk3 for my car. I should really research things before I buy things.:lol:

~2000 miles on my CM FX350 and almost no shudder in first gear...every once in awhile. Clutch is absolutely amazing.

I do have a question tho, I just installed a Invidia Q300 last night and am hearing a god awful shudder/chatter sound right beneath the center console. What could it be? I noticed the exhaust is super close to the driveshaft heat shield but I doubt it would make this much sound. Any ideas?

Thanks all!! Cheers!

Well, after a little under 9000 miles of a mostly hate relationship with this clutch, it's coming out. I sat in ridiculous stop and go traffic both Thursday and Friday on the way home from work and that was the final straw.

I hope that this is not the road I am going down. Almost 5,000 miles and the shudder is a little better but still there. Hope I don't have to drop 2k on clutches in a years time, but I don't love driving my car as much as I used to.

Interested to know how the Exedy treats you.

Archived