LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I upgraded to Group N motor mounts on my 2nd gen LGT and the NVH was significant, and I'll likely go back to the stock mounts. Had purchased a new set (now on standby) to replace the stockers on the Subenwagen when I replaced the stock clutch with the ACT HD clutch. But, I've resisted doing so, for the same reason that I am replacing the set on the 2nd gen.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
I believe that others have installed the motor mounts in the past without the same results. Glad to hear that all is good for you, but likely this is a "YMMV" scenario.

I have group N on my XT and it shudders like mad with the FX350

^^Like that guy^^

I think a combination of aftermarket mounts can fix / mitigate the issue for some, but I don't think is a magic panacea. I'm fully capable of driving my FX350 with zero shudder, it just requires a particular driving style that I don't think is suited for my needs (daily driver with heavy traffic).

Either way nos, glad it worked out for you! I've heard of some success for those with shudder (on various clutches) with a pitch stop mount as well, FWIW.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well, after putting some more miles on the mounts I've noticed that there is an increase in NVH. But considering I've already heard the NVH from my Whiteline LCA bushings plus group-N bushings throughout the drivetrain, this was the one NVH increase that actually brings some rumble into the cabin. All of the other bushings either brought road noise or gear whine into the cabin- now everything seems pretty even. As for clutch chatter, there is still some, however it's much easier to drive around.

And this definitely could be a YMMV scenario.. I'm just mad that I didn't try them sooner, so I thought I'd pass along my success to balance out the "Don't do it, they're noisy" comments. My retort? OEM catback + Group-N motor mounts = good rumble in cabin, no extra attention from the fuzz. :)

I have group N motor mounts and Whiteline bushings, sway bars, King Springs, etc all the way around. I'm happy with the suspension settings, but the constant clutch jar is disturbing. I'm sure there's a component of vibratory resonance at play with the clutch and tension adjustment of bushings and mounts throughout the drivetrain. However, it's sounds like it's not just my specific vehicle.

I recently moved (was relocated) to SoCal. It turns out that I'm literally down the street from Clutch Masters. I had remembered that they were in California, but I didn't remember where until I had time mess with my car a bit.

I stopped by their shop today and they're pretty good guys. They're pretty busy, but they took time to look up my purchase records and they had a look at my car to identify what's going on. I think we're going to work something out and I'll end up putting a FX200 into my car. Realistically, it has more than enough power capacity for my car's output, but with a full face design and much longer lifespan.

Well heck, if an FX200 can handle the power from a 16g, I may go that route. What other power mods do you have, or what power are you putting down? That may be the best route when I ultimately replace my ACT.

A FX200 should be fine with 16G power, from what I understand. That clutch still has a lot more capacity than stock, but it should last a lot longer. I think I'm sticking with full face clutches from now on. I'm not racing it. I wasn't that aggressive with the tune that I wanted. On a dyno, it put down 278hp and 301tq at the wheels @5400ft elevation. It has 740cc injectors, walboro pump, knockoff TMIC,TGV deletes, equal length headers, and larger exhaust throughout.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, it would appear that I will need to append my prior review, as I have started experiencing the same clutch chatter others have reported on with this set-up.

As my prior review stated, through the official break-in mileage and beyond, this cluch has been fantastic. The engagement has been very smooth and the holding power is great. Now, as I've rolled past 2000 miles on the clutch, it has began to chatter pretty violently at times. On cold starts in the morning, it's great - still very smooth engagement. After my 30 mintues communte (or if I'm in traffic), however, it's a whole different animal.

I've tried varying my method of releasing the clutch in first gear with little success. It seems that once it's up to tempurature, there's no release method that will prevent the chatter. The best I've found is to use my standard release method from ~1200 RPM or so, but rather than spend any time slipping the clutch to get going smoothly, I basically release the clutch in a medium-quick motion, not really pausing to allow engine speed and vehicle speed to match. This, of course, means that starting in first gear is not a smooth event, and traffic is a pain. Any other method (either higher or lower RPMs) results in chatter that I'm sure will/has damage the powertrain mounts. I've also noticed that spirited driving will result in some chatter during a quick shift on the 1-2 upshift. Frustrating.

I'm hoping based on other reports that it might mellow out in another 1-2k miles. As it stands, this has taken a car that I fell in love with and turned it into a vehicle I sometimes avoid driving, and I'm not okay with this.

I think I'm going to give it until the end of the year, as I will have accumulated another 3-4k miles between trips to the parents house for the holidays, along with my standard commuter miles. If it does not seem to be improving by then, it's getting replaced. I want to look forward to driving the Legacy again, and right now, I just don't...

• Moderators
Mine was bad from 500-2000 miles or so. Made a pretty big improvement from 2000-2500 miles and has continued to gradually get better. It's still gets me every now and then but for the most part it is manageable.

Unfortunately, it would appear that I will need to append my prior review, as I have started experiencing the same clutch chatter others have reported on with this set-up.

As my prior review stated, through the official break-in mileage and beyond, this cluch has been fantastic. The engagement has been very smooth and the holding power is great. Now, as I've rolled past 2000 miles on the clutch, it has began to chatter pretty violently at times. On cold starts in the morning, it's great - still very smooth engagement. After my 30 mintues communte (or if I'm in traffic), however, it's a whole different animal.

I've tried varying my method of releasing the clutch in first gear with little success. It seems that once it's up to tempurature, there's no release method that will prevent the chatter. The best I've found is to use my standard release method from ~1200 RPM or so, but rather than spend any time slipping the clutch to get going smoothly, I basically release the clutch in a medium-quick motion, not really pausing to allow engine speed and vehicle speed to match. This, of course, means that starting in first gear is not a smooth event, and traffic is a pain. Any other method (either higher or lower RPMs) results in chatter that I'm sure will/has damage the powertrain mounts. I've also noticed that spirited driving will result in some chatter during a quick shift on the 1-2 upshift. Frustrating.

I'm hoping based on other reports that it might mellow out in another 1-2k miles. As it stands, this has taken a car that I fell in love with and turned it into a vehicle I sometimes avoid driving, and I'm not okay with this.

I think I'm going to give it until the end of the year, as I will have accumulated another 3-4k miles between trips to the parents house for the holidays, along with my standard commuter miles. If it does not seem to be improving by then, it's getting replaced. I want to look forward to driving the Legacy again, and right now, I just don't...

I couldn't have summed up my experience with this clutch any better. This is exactly my experience and how I feel about this clutch. I have about 500 miles and it may be just a hair better now than day 1 (or I am learning to drive around it).

When I leave the house its not too bad, but 20-25 minutes later you have to drive very carefully or you unleash the shudder beast. I am now the only one that can drive this car and I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did.

Your comment on avoiding the Legacy is spot on. I even sometimes drive my girlfriend's Prius in favor of the Legacy! :eek:

I haven't read much about people reporting this to CM and I am wondering what their response would be. I think I am going to place a call or draft a letter.

For now I am hoping it gets better with more mileage. I really don't want to drop another grand on a new clutch, again. So frustrating.

...Your comment on avoiding the Legacy is spot on. I even sometimes drive my girlfriend's Prius in favor of the Legacy! :eek:

I haven't read much about people reporting this to CM and I am wondering what their response would be. I think I am going to place a call or draft a letter.

Yikes on the Prius! My other vehicle is a lifted Jeep XJ, which if fun for other reasons, but not as sporting as the LGT (obviously).

I was thinking about sending off an email to CM just to get their feedback on the issue, since there are clearly more than one of us in the same boat. I'll report back what I hear.

Mine was bad from 500-2000 miles or so. Made a pretty big improvement from 2000-2500 miles and has continued to gradually get better. It's still gets me every now and then but for the most part it is manageable.

This is my experience as well. Perhaps a random 500 miles of the 2200 milescontributed towards break in. Stop and go driving is less than 25% of my commute and weekend driving.

What's your ratio of city vs. highway driving?

Most of my driving is probably 80 percent highway, so I don't get all that many first gear starts compared to others who might be 80 percent city. Just trying to gauge where my clutch is compared to you milage references.

• Moderators

Been paying attention to this a bit more lately. I'm at 3500 miles or so and things are significantly better. It's still a performance clutch but I can drive it fairly easily even when it is good and warmed up and in traffic as well. It definitely takes some higher RPMs to keep things smooth, but it seems to be happy with a balance of RPMs and a speedy clutch release.

For a while, I was completely deadset on getting rid of this setup. My options were going to back to a stock setup or swapping in a 6mt. Came across a deal on a 6mt setup so I'm still going that route, but if those parts weren't already in the garage I would be sticking with the FX350, FWIW. I think everyone's mileage will vary with this clutch and it's a bit of a love/hate relationship I guess. I think the biggest thing seems to be that the clutch just takes way too damned long to break itself in--can certainly get frustrating through the process.

When the 6mt finally goes in I'm thinking I'd like to sell the whole setup as it sits as well so that whomever decides to pick it up should be able to skip that break in period since the clutch disc and flywheel will already be worn in properly.

Thank you for the additional feedback. I've found the key for me lately has definitely been the quicker pedal release. Using this method I've gotten it to a point where I can get the car going without much more than one quick chatter, rather than the repeated shaking I was getting before. Hopefully things will keep improving from here, but like you said, it's still a performance clutch at the end of the day.

Been paying attention to this a bit more lately. I'm at 3500 miles or so and things are significantly better. It's still a performance clutch but I can drive it fairly easily even when it is good and warmed up and in traffic as well. It definitely takes some higher RPMs to keep things smooth, but it seems to be happy with a balance of RPMs and a speedy clutch release.

For a while, I was completely deadset on getting rid of this setup. My options were going to back to a stock setup or swapping in a 6mt. Came across a deal on a 6mt setup so I'm still going that route, but if those parts weren't already in the garage I would be sticking with the FX350, FWIW. I think everyone's mileage will vary with this clutch and it's a bit of a love/hate relationship I guess. I think the biggest thing seems to be that the clutch just takes way too damned long to break itself in--can certainly get frustrating through the process.

When the 6mt finally goes in I'm thinking I'd like to sell the whole setup as it sits as well so that whomever decides to pick it up should be able to skip that break in period since the clutch disc and flywheel will already be worn in properly.

BMB's experience is the same as it was for me (as noted earlier in the thread). I just had my mechanic install GroupN motor mounts during my 105K service over the weekend and it's made the clutch situation even better. I already had the GroupN trans mount and X-member bushings in. Last on my list will be some rear diff bushings and I'm going to avoid the GroupN pitch stop as the front portion of the drivetrain is rock solid now.

I also drive 75% highway for commuting and I think it needs time to fully break in as BMB stated. It's a love/hate relationship, but don't think this clutch will complain anymore than it has during break in once I throw more power to it with Stage 3 - which is why I chose this model and still really like the pedal feel/engagement.

All- Mine has SIGNIFICANTLY smoothed right out. It still gets super grabby and 'skips' violently from time to time (only when being engaged from a stop) but it is happening MUCH less.

Clutch held 308/320 on a Mustang Dyno no problem. I'm guessing another 12% thereabouts is the real number (345/358 ish) from what I have on the Mustang vs. Dynojet forums.

I'm pretty happy with the clutch all in all!

As all have described this clutch is a love/hate relatinship. I installed my first FX350 when I replaced my motor and then had it tuned by Shamar on the mustang dyno at Infamous Performance. Slipped terribly, but the numbers that came out were ~230/265. I put another 500 miles on it (about 1200 total) and then took it back for replacement under warranty.

I'm on my second FX350 now, again with around the same mileage. I babied it for about 700 miles and it was slipping worse than the first one. MSprank told me to beat on it...so I have been. It's still slipping, but beating on it has definitly made it feel better.

What I don't understand is that it slips while already engaged, but if I drop it with hight revs from a dead stop it spins all 4 tires...any ideas?

For reference I'm running stage 3 (BNR 18G, ID1000, Invidia high flow 3" into stock, PW TMIC)

• Moderators

Are you sure it's actually slipping? That doesn't sound right at all. Mine has NEVER felt like it slips, that's for sure. Engagement was juddery for a while, but I'm at just about 4k miles now and my drive into work this morning actually felt stock-ish :iam:

If I didn't have all the parts for a 6mt swap in the garage, I would be keeping this clutch without question. I hated it for a bit and was ready to pull everything apart and swap it out, but at this point I definitely wouldn't bother--I'd just add a bigger turbo and supporting mods instead, lol.

Are you sure it's actually slipping? That doesn't sound right at all. Mine has NEVER felt like it slips, that's for sure. Engagement was juddery for a while, but I'm at just about 4k miles now and my drive into work this morning actually felt stock-ish :iam:

If I didn't have all the parts for a 6mt swap in the garage, I would be keeping this clutch without question. I hated it for a bit and was ready to pull everything apart and swap it out, but at this point I definitely wouldn't bother--I'd just add a bigger turbo and supporting mods instead, lol.

Before Mike changed the other one out he drove it and logged the slipping. I haven't had this one checked with a log, but it seems to be doing the same thing as the first.

It's possible I'm feeling something else, maybe the tune isn't right. I read somewhere that the new tuner Mike is using is more precise. My left valve cover is leaking, so my plan is to drive it through the winter to put more miles on the clutch. In the spring I'll pull the motor to fix the valve cover and have the flywheel resurfaced. My hope is that the clutch will be fully broken in by then. If it stops doing what it's doing I'll fix the valve cover with the motor in the car and call it good.

• 2 weeks later...
Going to have my setup for sale in a day or two once I get the right stuff ordered. My shuddering issue is pretty major, and I am selling the car. Not too easy to explain this problem to a potential buyer.. So anyone who wants it come and get it!

• 2 weeks later...
My FX350 has maybe 2000miles + and is good. Too on/off to really like but liveable. There were few times that I understood what this "stutter" means but it disappared as soon as it came. Smooth and light. Just difficult to drive so that it doesn't jerk the car when it grabs. Part of problem is OBXT OG-suspension which is now replaced. I hope this will make it much easier to control as body roll should be eliminated.

Archived