LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've gotten 42kish out of my 300 and thinking of going with it again since I plan to sell the car in the next two years.

I personally now don't expect more than about 25-30k out of clutches if you drive them fairly aggressively (and I'm not even talking about hard launches or drag racing, just spirited driving)...just "scheduled maintenance" for me now ;-) 15k would be frustrating.

I agree. I have to remind myself as well that the only reason my stock clutch lasted 80k was highway driving and being at Stage 0 till 60k+. :lol:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

It's strange it's slipping mostly at engagement from a stop. It'll hold through a second gear pull and inconsistently through third gear. I'm pushing about 375 torque at the wheels. Idk what to do. I may go with ACT street series.

I personally now don't expect more than about 25-30k out of clutches if you drive them fairly aggressively (and I'm not even talking about hard launches or drag racing, just spirited driving)...just "scheduled maintenance" for me now ;-) 15k would be frustrating.

Do you really believe that...? In my mind, at least 100,000 miles should be more the norm. My 92 Civic Si went over 200,000 miles on the stock clutch, it would have gone longer but we put a Apexi turbo kit on at 196,000 miles at 8 psi then went to 12psi just after 200k, that's when the clutch gave up.

My Spec 2+ clutch was still going strong at 85K when I put the EJ257 in. That saw lots of abruse.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
:( x2

You had 15K on yours and it was slipping before you went 6MT? Mine isn't slipping at all yet, and I just hit 15K on it earlier this week. Here I thought I was racking miles up really fast!

No, no. Read that as "sad face times 2". I removed my FX350 after about 2500 miles because it made me hate my car.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

50K on my ACT HDSS and WRX FW and while I don't like it, it holds well once engaged. From everything I've read here, don't think I'd ever be happy, in any way, with a CM FX350.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

10k with my CM350 was smooth in the beginning then was a little finicky for about 2k on the starts(chatter) now small chatter when the clutch is warm on low rpm starts but clutch goes in pretty smoothly when released correctly around 1.4k rpm. Def a love hate relationship in the beginning but as others said it gets better over time. Fingers crossed when I get to 15k. Clutch is still grabbing strong

• Moderators
50K on my ACT HDSS and WRX FW and while I don't like it, it holds well once engaged. From everything I've read here, don't think I'd ever be happy, in any way, with a CM FX350.

I would second your assumption here and say you wouldn't like it.

Spec 2+ has no chatter at all, pedal feels lighter the CM FX350... Drives like normal and nice and grabby. Can't comment on holding power yet as I'm breaking it in and not giving it WOT. Wish I got this from the get go.

That's how my 350 was initially too, then degraded, and is back to being smooth and comfortable without slipping (yet). Took a few hundred miles before things changed with shudder, and I had no decel chatter until 1K+ miles. I'll be watching to see how break in goes and power handling capacity. Thank you for sharing results!

• 1 month later...

Recently installed FX350 with SMFW and TSK3.

Initial impression with 0-400 miles - The clutch pedal is light! Very surprised with the ease of driving now. Extremely easy to drive from a stop. Shifts are nice and seamless without any drama. Absolutely no shutter, chatter, shaking or squealing.

Current impression with 700 miles - This clutch shudders like MAD. I drive all over the Tri-State area for work. I did the first 350 miles in 3 days so it was mostly highway. No drama. I recently did more city driving and this clutch is killing me. The shudder is shaking the car pretty violently from 1st gear. This does happen when it's warmed up. You'll definitely know when it's warm.

Resolutions - I've tried many different variations in take off. Sometimes an extra blip of the throttle can cure the shudder. People will start thinking you want to race them at the light. Wonder what would happen if a cop rolls next to me at a red light...go figure. I've varied the take off RPMs but still can't find the range that is most consistent. Sometimes it feels like stock, other times it feels like the car is about to shake itself apart. I know for sure there's some damage being done. It's pretty sad actually. You could disengage the clutch quickly and try again with a different method but that usually results in 5 people behind all pissed off. Often times I can slip the clutch for an extra second or so and if I get it just right it'll be smooth as silk. If not, SHUDDER. If it's shuddering and you're adding gas and it continues to shudder you're just eating up the clutch. If you ease out the clutch and it grabs you'll launch yourself forward. It's extremely hard to drive the car smoothly right now. It's so frustrating. I call these shudder episodes. Sometimes they'll be brief, .5 second but could last up to 2-3 seconds if you don't think fast or move your feet quick enough to fix it.

^^Sorry for your troubles there, I had the same issue. I think you have to drive it incredibly aggressive. Otherwise, just bite the bullet now and swap it out for something else so you can stop hating your car.

Thanks BMB, it almost does make me hate driving the car now. Do you think it will get better with more mileage? I mean, some have experienced less shutter with more driving.

It's not about driving it aggressively for me. If this was the only way to avoid shudder I would adjust my driving style. But I've tried different methods to try to find the sweet spot, if you want to call it that, but it's just so inconsistent IMHO.

• Moderators

Mine never really got better. I pulled it and sold it--ended up swapping to a 6mt :/

You're right, some folks seem to have a better experience over time. I didn't really, I think I went close to 3k miles with it. I was taking our minivan over the outback because it was unpleasant to drive.

Cheesinlo- I had the exact same issue. While mine has gotten much better recently, I will still say this clutch is f-ing junk. Currently getting parts together for an engine build, so a new clutch is definitely on my list. I'll probably try Southbend this time

Recently installed FX350 with SMFW and TSK3.

Initial impression with 0-400 miles - The clutch pedal is light! Very surprised with the ease of driving now. Extremely easy to drive from a stop. Shifts are nice and seamless without any drama. Absolutely no shutter, chatter, shaking or squealing.

Current impression with 700 miles - This clutch shudders like MAD. I drive all over the Tri-State area for work. I did the first 350 miles in 3 days so it was mostly highway. No drama. I recently did more city driving and this clutch is killing me. The shudder is shaking the car pretty violently from 1st gear. This does happen when it's warmed up. You'll definitely know when it's warm.

Resolutions - I've tried many different variations in take off. Sometimes an extra blip of the throttle can cure the shudder. People will start thinking you want to race them at the light. Wonder what would happen if a cop rolls next to me at a red light...go figure. I've varied the take off RPMs but still can't find the range that is most consistent. Sometimes it feels like stock, other times it feels like the car is about to shake itself apart. I know for sure there's some damage being done. It's pretty sad actually. You could disengage the clutch quickly and try again with a different method but that usually results in 5 people behind all pissed off. Often times I can slip the clutch for an extra second or so and if I get it just right it'll be smooth as silk. If not, SHUDDER. If it's shuddering and you're adding gas and it continues to shudder you're just eating up the clutch. If you ease out the clutch and it grabs you'll launch yourself forward. It's extremely hard to drive the car smoothly right now. It's so frustrating. I call these shudder episodes. Sometimes they'll be brief, .5 second but could last up to 2-3 seconds if you don't think fast or move your feet quick enough to fix it.

I have had the same experience as you. My clutch now has about 14K mi on it and it hasn't gotten any better. It performs well when the vehicle is cold, but once it heats up I have to launch at every take off or it shudders. Sometimes it's just a little bit of shudder, like a thump thump, or it's all out rattle your brain shudder.

If clutches weren't so damn expensive for these I would have already replaced it. But with what? I have no idea. It seems like all "performance" clutches come with drawbacks. The CM has a really nice pedal feel(softer than stock), but the shudder sucks!

a lot of us are starting to experience slipping with them past 10k miles now.

My email with clutchmasters resulted in an explanation that the clutch is meant to be abused, i.e. hard launches, otherwise it will shudder/wear quicker/etc.

wish I would've known that before installing it in my DDer though.

Archived