LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

Seems weird to me you had to adjust the pedal. When I had my FX300 in I did not and really dont know anyone that had to.

The pressure plate on the 300 is the same as the 350.

Very interesting........

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Seems weird to me you had to adjust the pedal. When I had my FX300 in I did not and really dont know anyone that had to.

The pressure plate on the 300 is the same as the 350.

Very interesting........

Indeed.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

PP fingers/springs could be making that noise. Once a little oil/grease vapor and clutch surface material work their way into the mix, that sound will likely cease. Alternatively, it could be the CSC on the fork as well. Put a long screwdriver on the CSC , with your ear to the other end, and have someone push the pedal down. You'll know right away whether it's at the CSC or inside. with the actual clutch bits.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
PP Fingers/springs are making that noise. Once a little oil/grease vapor and clutch surface material work their way into the mix, that sound will likely cease.

Sounds about right. I can feel the top of the clutch fork with my hands while the clutch is actuated and it just doesn't "feel" like it's the actual fork either, which is why are really think it's the PP. Not gonna worry about it really until break in is complete. 400 miles left until my camry gets to be an OBXT again :lol:

Just ordered the clutch from Underdog, along with a replacement TSK3 bearing and OEM SMFW. Rick was very helpful and had a great price! I am looking forward to adding my impressions on the clutch soon.

Currently my car is having a turbo upgrade and a few other things performed to it, and my mechanic confirmed my fears that my ACT is showing early signs of slippage, due to the wandering first gear. I bought the car with the PO's setup of a 6 puck and a LWFW. It was showing signs of slipping, so I had the puck swapped for an HD disk, and the LWFW/PP resurfaced. The puck only lasted about 13k of city driving in Charleston, SC... Some think that resurfacing a LWFW/PP is a bad idea, others not so much, but regardless, my clutch is very near the end of it's life at 30k. I don't Autox/track/drag, and there are only two instances I can think of where the clutch smoked/smelled, but otherwise I don't abuse it. Was stage 2 for it's whole life. Fingers crossed that the FX350 will withstand the new 18G and last much longer!

• 2 weeks later...

From my end:

My buddy, who is doing all the work on the car, said he finally got to it today after being unexpectedly backed up by a car before me. He pulled the engine in order to do a lot of things, including the clutch. He pulled the ACT setup and said the flywheel and disk looked great, but my TSK3 apparently had made deep gouges into the pressure plate, which he said was likely causing the weird and wandering engagement... So no true FX350 update, but will have one in the next week or two :)

From my end:

He pulled the ACT setup and said the flywheel and disk looked great, but my TSK3 apparently had made deep gouges into the pressure plate, which he said was likely causing the weird and wandering engagement...

Interesting and concerning at the same time. This is my exact setup and these are my symptoms. That and a light TOB whine at startup.

Interesting and concerning at the same time. This is my exact setup and these are my symptoms. That and a light TOB whine at startup.

I recently heard a story about the TSK3 kit causing issues.. My guess is if you don't get the sleeve seated perfectly on the snout it can cause misalignment. I've had a slight TOB whine since I installed my sleeve kit, but was careful to seat the sleeve so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm also curious whether our CSC's are causing issues- I still need to find the other version of our CSC to see the difference in stroke. It seems there are a lot of people with TOB's that are constantly contacting the pressure plate. Whether or not that is normal, it doesn't seem right from a design standpoint. It is my understanding that the '07-'09 CSC's are either shorter or longer, not sure which. If the later version is shorter, the CSC may allow the TOB to pull back further from the pressure plate preventing the constant contact, thus greatly increasing the life of the TOB and PP.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally picked up my car today, and am very impressed with the CM! After the car has been sitting for a bit, the engagement on take off can be a bit grabby, but once you drive around a bit, it takes off nicely from a stop. The engagement is a little lower than halfway, and the pedal is light, but firm. Can't wait to finish break in and really put it through it's paces!

• Moderators
Finally picked up my car today, and am very impressed with the CM! After the car has been sitting for a bit, the engagement on take off can be a bit grabby, but once you drive around a bit, it takes off nicely from a stop. The engagement is a little lower than halfway, and the pedal is light, but firm. Can't wait to finish break in and really put it through it's paces!

Don't worry, take off "grabbiness" will get MUCH worse :lol: And then it will get a bit better. And then you'll be at 1000 miles like me with a bit of shudder that's mostly-sort-of controllable...

The flywheel surface contact area, the CM FX 300 series pressure plate, and the clutch disk are incompatible with each other. And the DMFw is substantially "thicker" than the SMFW, so front-to-back dimensions are all off too.

What is everyone's thoughts in regards to Unabomber's post about Clutch Masters?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2459427

3. By this point you know that you buy clutches based on torque. That's it. No and then. Now go to the Clutchmaster's site and check their clutch torque ratings. When you search and find out that they do not have them listed, ask yourself the following questions:

What kind of dill-hole would buy a clutch from a company that doesn't list the torque holding capability of their product like the folks at ACT, South Bend Clutch, Exedy, Gripforce, RPS, and Competion Clutch do?

Since no one on the planet earth knows the stock clutch's torque holding capacity for sure, how can a company claim that their clutch holds "110% over stock"?

What is everyone's thoughts in regards to Unabomber's post about Clutch Masters?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2459427

What is the Torque rating of a Clutch Masters clutch kit?

Clutch Masters does not advertise specific Torque rates due to the wide range of possible scenarios that will neglect the TQ rating estimates. Torque ratings can be deceiving since it does not take into consideration the factors that will alter and drastically change the holding capacity of a clutch kit such as tire size, driving style, naturally aspirated vs forced induction, or nitrous. All of these factors and elements play a major role in determining the torque rating capacity of a clutch kit. Please contact a Clutch Masters representative if you are unsure or have more questions regarding Torque ratings.

• Moderators

Well, Cryo is running an FX300 on his 06 spec.b with an HTA68 dyno'd at 355hp/440tq. Still worried about holding capacity?

I know that Unabomber is quite well respected, but just to get pissy about a company not listing the numbers seems a bit childish when real world performance / accounts seem to indicate that the clutches are holding just fine.

Obviously YMMV, but during my clutch search I couldn't find ANYTHING without negative reviews, and the CM kits seems to have the fewest negative reviews. Aside from stock, everything seems to have some level of driveability / longevity issues--it is what it is and you just have to pay-to-play.

Thanks for the info. I'm not concerned about the holding capacity or anything, as I know many have been using the FXx00 series successfully on powerful cars. I just didn't understand UB's reasoning in that post, but that helps clear it all up.

If you're ready to buy now, PM Underdog. Great price, reliable, and friendly service.

I adjusted the clutch some today, and between that and the clutch having been broken in, this setup is absolutely phenomenal! The feel remains the same, but the engagement has become much more civil and predicable. Still grabs hard when beating on it, but when cruising around, the clutch now slips nicely and comfortably off the line. So far I am extremely pleased with this setup!

Archived