LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

My left foot only flexes down (plantar flexion) pretty easily, it doesn't flex up (dorsiflexion) nearly as well. With the HDSS kit, the engagement point is relatively low, certainly not at the bottom, but definitely fully "in" before mid-stroke.

I'm wondering how much "higher" in the stroke the CX350 would be, relative to the HDSS or even the OEM DMFW setup? Bio-mechanically, this makes a big difference to me, especially if I have to do a lot of stop-and-go driving and would need to rotate more at the hip, to compensate. A lot higher, and I would see this getting old and very uncomfortable very quickly.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Put the CMFX350 and SMFW in my 05 LGT about 1500 miles ago. No tsk3 kit. It feels like my friends HD clutch in his trans am. It is very grabby, more so for me after the break in. I was having some issues (or so i thought) with it but it turned out to be the tranny mount. I just got that issue worked out so well see how that goes but for now it looks to be good. I do not think this clutch will ever slip, I am at around 300whp and same in torque. It has not slipped ever. I would not recommend this clutch to someone else if they wanted a nice smooth DD car. When i take off from a stop it feels super grabby and if your not use to it it will seem like something is wrong (what i initially thought). The SMFW im sure does not help this (This grabby feeling I think is something to just get use to). For me personally this is good and probably what i really need (I do DD this car in the summer). My engagement point was also somewhat high as others on here have described but after playing with the pedal adjustment I was able to put it wherever i want it. I can't remember what the stock pedal felt like to push in but i remember after installation saying "wow its really easy to push". Higher RPM's are needed for me before and after break in for smoothness. Will get slight chatter now and then but nothing crazy, again i feel like this is normal.

In short, i would say its exactly what it is, a good high performance clutch.

8.5-9 out of 10 for me.

I got this clutch from Underdog, I would HIGHLY recommend getting it form him. He has gone above and beyond to help me with any issue that came up. Also very easy and pain free to order from.

To someone who daily drives a grabby exedy stage 1 clutch, I don't believe jumping to a clutch like this. Could anyone else who daily drives it chime in?

I think it really depends on what your looking for, and what your use too. When I got the car I thought the stock clutch was grabby and not very good for DD, but I was coming from a cavalier.

My FX300 is starting to go after 30k miles. Does anyone know if the FX300 and 350 share the same pressure plate, and if I can just swap in a new disc?

Car makes roughly 350/350

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

Ill post this here from another thread...Just talked to clutchmasters about this last week

Yes the pressure plate is the same one. The clutchmasters power plus 1

The disc the pressure plate and the flywheel all wear in as a unit. The way the clutch disc actually forms to the pressure plate and the flywheel it is not truly flat.

Once this starts to wear, if you swap in a new disc it will wear uneven and life will be reduced.

I had a long conversation about this with CM as I was thinking to do the same thing.

Now you might say well they just want to sell clutches but being around the auto industry my entire life I always heard to resurface everything.

So I just thought Ill call and discuss it with them to see if I can get around it and that is basically what they said.

So the other thing is the flywheel needs resurfacing or you need a new flywheel.

Subaru is not allowed to resurface by law if replacing clutch they have to replace flywheel.

Interesting... I spoke with a representative today, and they made no mention of having to be installed as a complete set.

Disc can only be purchased through them at a cost of $295.00.

Will report back as I'm just installing the disc with my old FX300 pressure plate with roughly 30k on it.

Interesting, the disc is half the cost....

Lonnie told me they are fazing out the FX300 discs and going to be going to just the new material FX350

I am going to get an FX350

Are you going to resurface the flywheel?

I spoke with Lonnie Futch

MY EMAIL, and then I called them:

"I am currently running an FX300 in an 08 STI transmission.

The FX300 and STI flywheel are about 1.5 years old with 40K on them.

Just wanted to know if it would be worth putting in a new clutch disc while I have it out.

Since the pressure plate and flywheel are not that old I figured I could just replace the FX300 disc.

I am sort of on a low budget so did not want to purchase the whole clutch, figured while I have it out I could do the disc.

Do you have any input on doing this?

What would it cost to purchase just the FX300 disc?

Thanks"

RESPONSE:

Hello ,

You would be better off change the whole kit . why do you have it out ? was there a problem ?

Thanks

Lonnie

(909) 877-6800

Interesting. Spoke with the same person.

I don't forsee just replacing the disc posting a huge problem, as long as the flywheel is resurfaced.

One side of the disc is against flywheel, flat surface, other side is against pressure plate flat glaze free surface.

I would think both need to be resurfaced and since Ive never heard of anyone doing that to a pressure plate I would think you need to replace it.

Let us know how it works out......

My plan was to put the FX350 in my STI 6 speed. I am currently running the FX300.

In the past I have had ACT clutches in my 5 speed.

The FX300 was really off and on and not very forgiving for a daily driver. It did get better with time. Very hard to modulate on hills or in traffic until it had about 15-20K on it.

It currently has 40K and still working fine.

I am swapping my 6 speed out this week because of a 6th gear whine (possibly caused by ROYAL PURPLE being used by previous owner BEWARE)

I was going to go with the FX350 but as underdog knows I really didnt have the cash to spend on another clutch and flywheel at about 900.

So after further research I decided with my 6 speed, which has a larger clutch, I am going to go with the stock Subaru Clutch.

I had over 112,000 on my stock 5 speed clutch and it still looked good when removed because of the TO bearing/snout issue.

209 for flywheel, 250 for clutch disc and pressure plate.

Im running 350/360 to the wheels on pump, and 385/425 on E85 (not used very often)

According to what I read all over the various subaru forums the Stock 6 speed clutch will hold up well as long as you are not launching the car all the time.

To me that will be the best of both worlds. All these after market clutches seem to have some sort of issue. Hard pedal, noisy decal, chatter, etc etc

With me driving my car every day (and the wife once in a while) I just felt this was the thing to do.

Here is a thread showing an example of what I found....

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1372578&highlight=stock+sti+clutch

I too have read that the stock 6-speed clutch can hold a lot of power, and am considering going that route as well. My short list right now is: stock STi, FX350 or FX200. If the 350 feels like the 300 and that is really on/off, I might avoid it too - my daily commute is 2 hrs of stop-and-go. I will probably be going 18g with fuel mods, but no e85, as we can't get that here.

Cash aside, did you consider the FX200? It might hold slightly more than stock (they claim 70% but who knows) but is supposed to feel really close to stock.

Also, are you supposed to replace the release bearing with the clutch? That seems to be another $110 - still a lot less than the CM kit, but just to compare the price of the two.

Eric

Yes you should replace the release bearing. That is the failure point on the 5 speeds as well.

I didnt have to buy the release bearing as it was already attached to the fork on the brand new crated Subaru 6 speed I purchased.

But yea its 110 bucks for the 6 speed TO bearing.

After having the FX300 and reading about the FX350 I was all set to go FX350. Even ordered it and then cancelled it on underdog :redface:

He was gracious though ;)

I then started doing more research to go cheaper as I just didnt want to put a new transmission in with the same FX300 clutch.

Seems to still be working fine but was ready for something more mild.

I didnt look at the FX200 when I read about the stock STI clutch being able to hold so much.

I just figured it would be fairly quiet and it held enough and it was way more cheap.

Felt like I had a winner in the stocker for what I am doing, even with the power I am running.

So I finished my Clutch break in on my fx350 and was able to go to full boost again. All I can say is that I am very happy with my decision to go with the fx350. The clutch pedal is so light and I can modulate it a lot more than I was expecting out of a high performance clutch. I also have zero chatter.

When I get on it, the clutch holds the power great. It gives me a lot more confidence than my previous ACT.

I would highly recommend this clutch for anyone in the 300+ whp/wtq area that wants great daily driving ability and great performance.

Jon

• Moderators
So I finished my Clutch break in on my fx350 and was able to go to full boost again. All I can say is that I am very happy with my decision to go with the fx350. The clutch pedal is so light and I can modulate it a lot more than I was expecting out of a high performance clutch. I also have zero chatter.

When I get on it, the clutch holds the power great. It gives me a lot more confidence than my previous ACT.

I would highly recommend this clutch for anyone in the 300+ whp/wtq area that wants great daily driving ability and great performance.

Jon

What flywheel are you using? If you are using the single-mass flywheel is it a new part or used part, and did you have it machined at all prior to install?

I think I might buy one of these today...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well I still need to get the GroupN engine mounts (and thinking pitch stop as well). I'm at 2300 miles give or take post install. It's been really smooth and I rarely have any take off shudder now. I think the mounts will help on those rare occasions.

I think this clutch is overkill if you plan stage 2 power or less. If your going for 300WHP or more it's a great DD friendly performance clutch due to pedal feel and I like the predictable engagement. I have no regrets picking this clutch and have had a few opportunities to be rolling around 5MPH, rev up to around 5K RPM and essentially drop the clutch and it holds with ease, zero slip, and the car just digs and goes! :D

Stage 3 may be in my near future so really happy this setup. If you plan stage 2 or less, it may be worth looking into their FX100 or FX250 as they should have plenty of holding power.

• Moderators
Well I still need to get the GroupN engine mounts (and thinking pitch stop as well). I'm at 2300 miles give or take post install. It's been really smooth and I rarely have any take off shudder now. I think the mounts will help on those rare occasions.

I think this clutch is overkill if you plan stage 2 power or less. If your going for 300WHP or more it's a great DD friendly performance clutch due to pedal feel and I like the predictable engagement. I have no regrets picking this clutch and have had a few opportunities to be rolling around 5MPH, rev up to around 5K RPM and essentially drop the clutch and it holds with ease, zero slip, and the car just digs and goes! :D

Stage 3 may be in my near future so really happy this setup. If you plan stage 2 or less, it may be worth looking into their FX100 or FX250 as they should have plenty of holding power.

Question tho is whether the drivability would be any better with the FX250...? Not sure that's the case...

Either way there's a 16g sitting on the shelf at the moment so I guess the right answer is the 350.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I think the take off shudder is from a drop in RPM during engagement and the major increase in holding power of the clutch. Like I mentioned before though - it has almost completely stopped for me with the miles I have on it, I'd say it happens like once a week now if that. I've never driven there other offerings to compare.

If 16G and full fuel upgrades I would get the 350 - like I said before, I have zero regrets that I chose this clutch :D

Archived