LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

I was going with this clutch originally but Cobb in Plano prefers the Competition Clutch Stage 2 over it. :confused: I am unsure as there is very little in review out there on Subies. But, I will trust their judgement and do a write up on it. I called them and walked thru what hp/torque I'm pushing and they too suggested the Stage 2.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was going with this clutch originally but Cobb in Plano prefers the Competition Clutch Stage 2 over it. :confused: I am unsure as there is very little in review out there on Subies. But, I will trust their judgement and do a write up on it. I called them and walked thru what hp/torque I'm pushing and they too suggested the Stage 2.

DONT DO IT! Absolutely horrible. You have to run Comp clutches flywheel and it throws off everything. I had horrible decel chatter, a horrible smell during break-in and 2000 miles after that, and not to mention that the clutch didnt even last a full year under quite normal driving conditions.

NOT recommended from me

Yea I took out my comp clutch after a little over 9k. You think the cm350 has horrible chatter? The comp is that times 10!! And no matter what I did if I revved under 2k rpm it would feel like I was driving the car over jagged boulders. With the lwfw that came with, the car did rev up faster but the Decel chatter was a little annoying. I currently have a CM350 paired with a wrx smfw & tsk3 tob, and i am about 3k miles in and am happy with it. Note the chatter does begin around 1k but is a lot more easily controllable to the Comp clutch!

Comp clutch is no beuno. Two guys locally just put them in and its been a terrible experience for them. Holding power is great dont get me wrong but engagement is inconsistent and chatter in the one is unbearable. One has roughly 4000 on his and the other is just a bit over 10000 miles.

How is the FX350 compared to South Bend Stage 1 or Stage 2 Daily if anyone running it. I have a Exedy twin disc currently and while pedal effort is good, the noises this thing makes at low rpms make it for a interesting drive.

Don't buy a southbend . I put a south bend stage 3 daily in my car its putting 325hp down seen 25 launches and from day one it chatters and has a heavy pedal . After 4 thousand miles its slipping . I'm taking it out of the car in a few weeks . Very disappointed I hope the fx300 I ordered works better

Pulled my fx 350 today because the clutch would not disengage. I found that the clutch disk had fused to the pressure plate. I sent Clutchmasters a kind e-mail. We will see what they say. In the mean time, I have installed a factory STI clutch.

Yikes! Can you install an 05 Sti in 05 LGT or did you install Sti clutch with Sti 6 speed? (Can't remember if spec B MT or Sti)

His avatar lists a 6 speed tranny. The spec B also has the 6 speed (similar to STi but different final ratio). You can use an STi clutch as long as you change the flywheel to an STi flywheel...bolts right up.

So he bolted 6 speed Sti to LGT...with option to go w LGT clutch or Sti clutch+flywheel? Not to get off topic ;-)

The spec B 6 speed uses a pull style clutch. The flywheel has to be for that setup as well. The 5 speeds use a push style clutch and have a different flywheel.

So he bolted 6 speed Sti to LGT...with option to go w LGT clutch or Sti clutch+flywheel? Not to get off topic ;-)

The spec B 6 speed uses a pull style clutch. The flywheel has to be for that setup as well. The 5 speeds use a push style clutch and have a different flywheel.

I have a spec B 6 speed transmission with an STI clutch/flywheel.

Some 5 speeds have a pull type clutch and some have a push style clutch.

The Clutchmasters clutch I was referring to was an STI fitment clutch with a factory STI flywheel. I should have been more specific .

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at replacing my stock clutch 65k miles as it's showing signs of slipping in 4th+ gear, how many 6MT owners here and what clutch are you running? I am over 400 WTQ on Mustang dyno as i'm running E85 with 20G. I've read through this entire thread and still not completely convinced that the FX350 is the right one for my setup.

I was considering going with the Exedy FM022HD, but still on the fence and some say it's overkill for me. My buddy with his 07 STi that puts down 560+ WTQ E85 on rotated Garrett, on same Mustang dyno is running the RPS Street MAX clutch with excellent holding power and street driveability.

Run far, far away from the FX350

My 6mt friends have Exedy HD and love them. I've driven some, and it's worlds away better. One has a twin plate, now considering a triple, and another looking at the twin. If you want the pre-mo setup, twin plate is your best bet. Feels excellent on the street, and should last longer than a single plate

I'm looking at replacing my stock clutch 65k miles as it's showing signs of slipping in 4th+ gear, how many 6MT owners here and what clutch are you running? I am over 400 WTQ on Mustang dyno as i'm running E85 with 20G. I've read through this entire thread and still not completely convinced that the FX350 is the right one for my setup.

I was considering going with the Exedy FM022HD, but still on the fence and some say it's overkill for me. My buddy with his 07 STi that puts down 560+ WTQ E85 on rotated Garrett, on same Mustang dyno is running the RPS Street MAX clutch with excellent holding power and street driveability.

Similar setup as you 385/425 on E85 Stock STI clutch and flywheel. Haven't had an issue.

Search on NASIOC. Some good articles on the stock clutch.

I had an FX300 before the stock STI and I hated it.

Stock clutch is made by exedy.

If I wanted to go any heavier at all I would go with whatever the equivalent 1 step up is in an exedy clutch like what's in the STI performance catalog.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a CM FX-300 and it's slipping after about 42k on a OTS Stg 2 map. Thinking after all these reviews I just stay with it? I expected more (don't launch or track it) mileage but I do DRIVE the car to it's fullest and enjoy it. :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

If you are considering a replacement clutch, I started a thread for the SpeedSport carbon-carbon single & dual disc clutches. These are manufactured by the son of the RPS clutch company. I'm going to be putting the single in and will document as much info as possible and provide feed back.

The clutch is supposed to be able to hold up to 600 lbs torque which is way more than needed, but also have the same drivability as any Twin disc without the heavy foot pressure needed, smooth engagement, ability to slip, and be able to outlast most other non-carbon. The clutch lists for 1495, but can be purchased for 300 less, perhaps a better discount if there is a GB.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223307

Went with a fx300 today instead. This thread made me nervous to go fx350 after seeing everyone complain of rough initial break in and chatter even after several thousand miles.

Probably a good choice, I hate mine. Once it goes, or the next time I do some major maintenance I will fork over the cash for an Exedy.

Archived