LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

I'm stuck buying two used tires for the rear. And I can't put them on until I get the suspension aligned. And I can't do that until I get the top hats, spacers, and dust covers to put my new suspension together and install it.

Yeah. College sucks. I have like $2,300 of debt and that doesn't even count school.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. College sucks. I have like $2,300 of debt and that doesn't even count school.

aahh, to only have <5000 debt again... house, 3 kids, divorce, credit cards left over from said divorce, student loans still. kids live with me, i get no child support and im still paying off my student loans like 13 years later. sucks to be an adult sometimes. add to that, my oldest starts college next year. my twins are turning 16 also, so more cars are in my future. insurance is quickly becoming the highest bill i have lol.

aahh, to only have <5000 debt again... house, 3 kids, divorce, credit cards left over from said divorce, student loans still. kids live with me, i get no child support and im still paying off my student loans like 13 years later. sucks to be an adult sometimes. add to that, my oldest starts college next year. my twins are turning 16 also, so more cars are in my future. insurance is quickly becoming the highest bill i have lol.

Hold ur head up high my friend. Every dog has his day. And I'm sure ur day is coming. Lol. (not sure if that sounds good or bad but it's supposed to sound good)

Well here is my fun

Went through mcdonalds drive through and curbed my rear rim. I offically will never go through another drive through again!.......I dont think i can hold that promise lolol

Lmao fatass mcds is the devil and makes u and ur car unhealthy lol hit up bk next time they don't have the retarded 90• turn and u avoid curb rashes lol

A connection port to the EGR valve cracked & shattered.

Now one of the hoses are just hanging there & it is causing pinging when I accelerate.

Interesting that it doesn't throw an EGR code at all.

This car doesn't have a lot of big problems unless they come from me but all of the small problems are very few.

Last night and today... First time getting the car back on the road after 6-7 months. Timing idler broke and I pulled the motor to rebuild the heads and just refresh the top end overall. Drove it over a mountain to a friend's performance shop in the area (Fabw3rks) and back, no problem. Got really confident and volunteered to drive my friend on a 3 hour round trip to pick up his brother. Right as we slowed down from interstate speeds, the temp gauge rose over normal. Acted exactly like a HG leak.

Then we smelled ATF. Something is leaking ATF onto my exhaust Y-pipe.

Limped it home carefully, decided to deal with it the next day (today) and a situation arose which required the Leggy to brave the mountain once more! One little rise in temp (3-4 dots on the gauge) on the way up the mountain but all seemed well. My power steering pump was really low when we first started the car but we also busted the transmission pump seal removing the torque converter seal, so we still haven't had it off the ground to see if it's a power steering hose or the trans itself. Yuck.

tl;dr Had it running and it felt good, so something had to break... and we don't even know what yet, lol

I'm leaking more oil as of last night. Lots of oil. Gratuitous amounts of oil. Like a quart overnight.

And there's now like a water slushing noise when hitting gas from idle.

Now I just need an EJ25 ASAP before this poor thing dies

U try replacing ur valve cover gaskets?

• I Donated
U try replacing ur valve cover gaskets?

Or try cleaning the engine and then watching to see where the oil comes from. Its probably better to trace down the leak and fix it instead of just throwing parts at it hoping for the best.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Or try cleaning the engine and then watching to see where the oil comes from. Its probably better to trace down the leak and fix it instead of just throwing parts at it hoping for the best.

Sorry I didn't mean to post an unfinished post. I was sidetracked. But ur right. Engine gunk and a power hose does the trick. Make sure to get under the car as well. Also check ur oil temp/sender switch under the alternator. I've fixed a few leaks in some subies Kuz of that part

I attempted to fix my 98's oil leak. Well, it's only gotten worse in the hours of work since yesterday at 10 am. I tried using my good used gasket but both my valve covers and possibly the head are bent just enough where is just won't seat. I fixed the leak using is, but now another one has popped up because the gasket from the HLA heads is just a little different for some stupid ass reason. Buying another one tomorrow and that will be that.

After that, Wednesday I am fixing the door latch, power steering leak, ABS connector, passenger corner marker, and dash lights, replacing the A/C condenser and charging up the system, and replacing the drivers front axle.

Then after I get paid, I am getting two used tires on the newer side, replacing my suspension (hopefully my top hats get here in time), getting it aligned, maybe replacing my steering rack, and replacing my shift linkage.

And then, at some point in the next few weeks my father and I will be checking out the transmission. If it's not a stuck gear, then I'm just replacing the trans with a used one for $200

After this, I will keep up on it for a few months. During that time I'm going to buy, fix, and sell the 99 OBL.

I will then sell my parts car for scrap and sell my 98 GT.

At that point I will be done with Subaru's for a long time. Time for something else more reliable.... Like a 99 Chevy pickup truck.

I would be done with Subaru's too... Way before you would have been, thats for sure.

The back hatch on mine didn't open last night. So I loaded beehives into the passenger side and backseat. Got honey all over everything. Thank goodness for leather. Curse that stupid back hatch...

Sounds like it's just one of those cars that no matter how much money you throw at it, it will just keep breaking.

I had one of those types.

It was a 1996 Ford Windstar 3.8.

I went through a head gasket repair & 3 transmissions before I decided to call it quits...

Some cars, like some people, just don't want to work.

On a side note all of my engine rebuild parts except one timing cover came in and it's on back ordered. Guess ill be putting it back together up until that point.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Friend of mine a while back got a legacy that looked perfect, within a year he pretty had replaced anything you could name. He gave up in the end, sold it and bought a different one with a few minor problems he fixed and has had no trouble with it...

Lemons

Yeah, I love this car. But it's killing me. It looked great when I bought it. I even got the guy to let me jack it up to check for bad wheel bearings. I looked at everything I possibly could. It was great. Just needed a few little aesthetic things, struts (car floated quite a bit on the highway), and a shifter linkage. It just felt very used compared to my 96. Which has always felt like a new car. It didn't quite meet my expectations, but for the price I couldn't pass up a Red GT wagon with a 5MT.

Archived