LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/TurboThom/1997%20OB/PA201755_zps1fe76dc6.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/TurboThom/1997%20OB/PA201756_zps309d9b24.jpg

It never actually failed me, but that's what a 211,000 mile clutch looks like. Looks like I got the new one in just in time. Holy hot spots...

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I am a clutch killer... I drove my car WAY too hard after I first got it. I killed a brand new Luk's clutch. The PO had it in for about 5k miles and it only took another few thousand miles or so from me to completely kill it. BUT, the thing is, apparently only the clutch disc itself was replaced *scratches head* They didn't machine the flywheel or replace the pressure plate. I ended up replacing both about a couple of months ago. I couldn't machine the flywheel (due to not having enough money) and I continued to drive hard. So, I'll have to replace the cluth and all again this winter probably.

I'd of take pics of the previous clutch but I was pissed the other day and tossed it finally

• I Donated
The battle wagon didn't start this morning. It doesn't have power to anything except the key chime thingy (beep when you put the key in) and a good battery. The main power / ground wires was all I had time to check and they seem to be OK....

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The button to roll up the driver's window decided to quit about 20mins ago.

I can roll the window down so I know the motor is fine.

Take a switch from another door and plug in to test if switch, there are two prongs and some contacts that need cleaning more than likely. The switch is a wee bit of a bitch to get apart but better to fix it than get another one that will fail.

• I Donated

Had to tow the Outback to the shop today. Instead of calling a tow truck I called my boss and asked for his truck and car hauler.

This is what I got to tow the Outback with

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/400315_10151215946878326_2036237648_n_zps44d71371.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Take a switch from another door and plug in to test if switch, there are two prongs and some contacts that need cleaning more than likely. The switch is a wee bit of a bitch to get apart but better to fix it than get another one that will fail.

It is indeed the switch.

I was able to roll the driver side window up but as I was fidgeting with the up position, the switch began to emit thick smoke, like a cigarette.

I will be taking the switch apart & cleaning the contacts as you suggested.

They have this sticky black stuff all over them.

Smoke? Wtf? How? Did you clean it previously with petrol? O____________O

Hadn't touched it prior other than constantly flicking the "up" position & praying that the window would go up, which it did.

I dismantled the window switch assembly & found that the contact for "up" was covered in what appears to be black soot.

I'm scraping the contacts off now & will let you know if the switch works after.

It looks really nasty.

It is still a ford tho...

one of the better ones, for sure. im no ford fan, but you have to give them props for the raptor series. especially a hennesey one. ive ridden in one out in the open desert, not many production trucks can compete out there at high speeds without some aftermarket love.

My sunroof won't slide back this morning. Last night it was fine and now it only pops up in the back. motor is still good from I tell though:confused:

Anybody have a link that could help me figure this out? I have searched and apparently I suck @ searching....

• I Donated

My Outback has an electrical gremlin in it...preventing it from getting power to anything and starting.

It did it again this morning. I punched the fuse box under the hood and it started. I guess I should keep a hammer in the car now lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

My Outback has an electrical gremlin in it...preventing it from getting power to anything and starting.

It did it again this morning. I punched the fuse box under the hood and it started. I guess I should keep a hammer in the car now lol

Could be worse. I went outside yesterday morning to find someone keyed my car car :(

Alrighty, time to show you guys how ridiculously unreliable my 2nd gen has been SINCE DAY 1 of buying it last year in august.

Bought the car 8/15/11

9/06/11 - right rear wheel hub and bearing replaced - 840$

11/04/11 - rear o2 sensor replaced - 467$

11/22/11 - left inner tie rod, rack boot, right ball joint, right side spindle - 425$

12/05/11 - serpentine belt and alternator - 281$

12/07/11 - thermostat (was having over heating issues the day after i bought it, had been nursing it for 3 months until now, changed it myself) 24$

3/07/12 - upper and lower radiator hoses, radiator, cap - 364$

3/22/12 - rear rotors, rear ebrake, sway links (oem on my whiteline sway bar, i was an amateur and didn't notice so that really pissed me off later) rear shoes, rear combi kit - 448$

5/29/12 - head gasket set, head bolt set, timing belt, timing belt tensioner - 1911$

8/07/12 - rear brake caliper - 187$

10/16/12 - main o2 sensor, used knuckle assembly, front left ball joint - 584$

10/18/12 - used steering rack - 542$

So there you go, that has been my life the past year and a bit. Lots and lots of repairs and lots and lots of money. There are probably more invoices that I just didn't keep track of. I'm not very good with working on cars, so I wasn't capable of doing most of this labor.

Also as of yesterday it looks like I'm going to need a new input shaft seal, I'm leaking gear oil all over the place.

So yeah, I hope you guys enjoyed reading my misfortune. Even though I spent all of this money on my 2nd gen, it still puts a smile on my face and I love it to death.

Archived