LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well upon driving to work this morning as my tranny was geetting warmer and warmer it started to whistle loudly like a super charger lol sounds cool but def need some gear oil. my car has 245k on it and im sure it was never flushed before... also my damn valve stem seals seem to have a small crack kuz i burn oil during everay cold start up so i warm my car up to avoid any excessive burning. oh and my damn HLAs DX finally got the tick of death grrrrrrrr

Well... This time I screwed up. I accidentally set the timing with the crank 180 degrees off. No compression. Reset eveything and it started right up. Only it runs really rough at lower RPMs. Almost as if there was a REALLY bad misfire or like it has massively lobey cams. Wants to stall but won't. There's also a metalic knock coming from the rear drivers side cylinder area.. THEN I realized that I forgot to tighten down the passenger side cam sprockets completely. tightened it and then pushed a bit too hard and jumped it a tooth. Now that has to come off before I can do a compression test.

All of this after I accidentally stripped a cam cap bolt yesterday.... Stupid god freaking damn headgaskets. I'm sick and tired of doing them. And leave it to a Subaru dealership to NOT stock EJ25D headgaskets....

I had a screw driver holding the flywheel while I tightened the bolt. I guess I just pushed to much. I tend to over tighten things so I go crazy with a torque wrench. I just didn't use one with these. I should have. I think they are 55 lbs or something. I was probably puting way more.

Nope. And that's why I crested this thread. It's a great place to come and blow off some frustration. It's better than punching my car... or throwing a hammer at it...

I did compression tests. 5 to 8 revolutions. Front Drivers cylinder was the lowest at 180 to 185 PSI. Rear Drivers was 120 to 125 PSI. Front ajd Rear Passenger was over 130 PSI. So, my "misfire" issue is down to the Front Drivers side. When I pulled all the plug wires, that was the only cylinder where there was no change in how the motor ran.

I will be swapping another wire and injector to that cylinder. But honestly, with this issue not being there before I did the job, it's just likely something is internally wrong with the head. I am going to swap the thing with my spare head. Hopefully I am able to get a head gasket ASAP. The dealer 45 minutes away won't probably have one until Tuesday, and I'm not spending the gas money to go drive an hour and a half away to get one from the other dealer. Plus, I dont have time.

I completely agree.

Also, working until 3 am is not a good idea. You make mistakes and dont realize it. Which is exactly wgat I did the other night. I went over everything I did and found that I accidentally put the ground that bolts on with the EGR valve in between it and the gasket..... *smacks face repeatedly* That was the cause of my WHOLE problem.

At least I learned quite a bit from it. Got the whole car put together and it runs and drives like a champ. Finally fixed my exhaust as well. I now no longer get a head ache from the resonance.

Sad thing is, I noticed a bit more bearing noise than I thought there was... STUPIDFREAKINGOVERHEATING....

The 2 front brake calipers were seized.

I had to get 2 used ones from a 99 Outback.

Also, my custom midpipe for the exhaust cracked.

This is the 4th time this has happened.

I think I'm just going to just put the stock exhaust piping back on so I can stop having it welded.

I dislike hissing exhaust noises.

I couldn't figure out why my rear windshield wouldn't defrost. Turns out my defroster button light went out and I turned on my cruise control by mistake. Then I punched my dash and the light came back.

ive turned on cruise by mistake quite a few times instead of defogger lol. so does that mean u figured out ur defogger issue??

If it keeps cracking on the same weld why not replace the piping?

I've had 4 different pipes welded up.

I think it's because I'm being an ass & not buying an entire system.

My exhaust is set up like this:

UEL.

Stock cats (welded to midpipe).

Midpipe welded to WRX catback (catback was about a foot & some change too short).

The whole thing is just getting annoying.

I still have the stock axleback & my new cats that I haven't even put on yet.

I'm going to purchase the long midpipe & just put everything back to stock.

Maybe I'll get some usable TQ on the low.

Kenny or anyone... What does Subaru main bearing noise sound like? When is it noticeable? Is it more common on 2.5s than 2.2s?

Kkkkkkeerrrrrrrrrccchhhhhtrryiijffdrrrrrt clink cfyjjkkkkkiiiuuuuuuucccfrrrtuuvvdhkkkkkjgf clunk ghsfhjiokknhtrdd nmkligfdd

Kenny or anyone... What does Subaru main bearing noise sound like? When is it noticeable? Is it more common on 2.5s than 2.2s?

Main bearing noise sounds like a hard metal to metal tapping & increases w/RPM.

Misfire & knock events will come up on the scanner & the engine will not produce good power, since compression is slowly being lost as the main bearing is disintegrating.

The 25D is more prone to blowing big ends due to the bearing material being compromised by a combination of the oil/coolant mixture & overheating, which takes place after the head gaskets are blown.

Since the EJ22 series are not really prone to head gasket issues, they are less likely to have bearing issues.

Main bearing noise sounds like a hard metal to metal tapping & increases w/RPM.

Misfire & knock events will come up on the scanner & the engine will not produce good power, since compression is slowly being lost as the main bearing is disintegrating.

The 25D is more prone to blowing big ends due to the bearing material being compromised by a combination of the oil/coolant mixture & overheating, which takes place after the head gaskets are blown.

Since the EJ22 series are not really prone to head gasket issues, they are less likely to have bearing issues.

I just said the same thing lol

When they first start to make noise, you'll start to here a metallic rapping noise as you near 2k RPM. Hold the motor at 2k and listen for it.

Archived