LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated

The Outback now has some kind of wiring short in it. When you drive over a speed bump, the car shuts off and EVERYTHING loses power.....the car is completely dead (no dash lights, no headlights, no running engine, etc). Then you can roll and when you hit another bump all the power will come back on.

Fking electrical...

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The Outback now has some kind of wiring short in it. When you drive over a speed bump, the car shuts off and EVERYTHING loses power.....the car is completely dead (no dash lights, no headlights, no running engine, etc). Then you can roll and when you hit another bump all the power will come back on.

Fking electrical...

You check/clean your battery terminals?

I got gas today and now the interior smells like gas pretty bad. Its always kind of done that but now its enough to make a person sick.

Gasoline kind, not butt kind... I am guessing the sending unit seal is leaking (if its like a Honda)

• I Donated
You check/clean your battery terminals?

They are good...and even if they were loose the alternator should keep the car running if the battery were to lose connection while the car is running. Something is grounding out somewhere shorting the entire system out. Whats strange though is no fuses or fusible links are poping though.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I failed my 2nd Gen ...

I recently replaced crank/cam seals, along w/ sealing the oil pump in an attempt to stop a bunch of oil leaks. I just noticed it still leaking between the head and the cam support on the drivers side. If I had just gone a little deeper when I had everything apart ... :lol:

last night i had a low fuel light on. it was almost empty, so it should have been. drove it for another 20 miles this morning and that light never came back on. im hoping it isnt burnt out.

i love this car, its been a relatively headache free car so far. even with the bad seals issue that gained him the name smokey. i have been seeing a couple small puddles on the driveway the last couple days, ill have to figure that one out real soon.

i also spent the weekend (and a bit of the week) replacing both CV axles, tierod ends and rack and pinion assembly and 2 new tires on my daughters civic. she hit a curb really hard, popped the tire and shifted the R&P to the passenger side about 1/2". fun stuff. that was my suspension money for my legacy tho, so i dont get any goodies for a while. grrr.

My cam seals started leaking on the passenger side. I forgot to replace them when I fixed the motor. *smacks face* Looks like I'm tearing the engine bag apart AGAIN...

Also, the coupler that holds the mid-pipe to the cat pipe broke. So now I don't have an exhaust system.

I failed it by not anticipating that the tensioner bracket would strip upon putting the timing assembly back together. I'm getting a little annoyed at these little screw-ups of mine. If I had a gun, I would not be surprised if I accidentally emptied a clip into my feet at this point.

and even if they were loose the alternator should keep the car running if the battery were to lose connection while the car is running

I'm not sure on that one. Iirc, a wire runs straight from Battery to Alternator's Voltage Regulator. If the battery disconnects and I'm right, the alternator should stop producing voltage

Jesus titty ****ing christ on a pogo stick.

Bolted up one head, rotated the engine on the stand to do the other...and staring me in the face are some deep gouges in the block mating surface. They weren't there when I bagged up the engine. Didn't see them when I put it on the stand. I have no ****ing idea how they got there, they look like the impressions you'd get by putting a chisel up to it and hammering the damn thing.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr260/TurboThom/82300927_zps15a4e835.gif

[impressively long and creative string of expletives deleted]

I didn't get any photos of the gouges, went straight to work fixing the damn thing. TIG welded and decked a tiny amount, then got back to it. A friend picked up the car with his truck and trailer last night, he's doing the swap for me cheap so that I don't have to deal with the BS.

I've been pissed at the car and stressed out for months, and now that it's not in my driveway? I miss it. This has to be some kind of automotive stockholm syndrome or something. :redface:

• I Donated

I'm going to diagnose likely leaky head gaskets on a friends Outback....

fking head gaskets are going to be the death of all of us

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

My LGT broke down on the highway the other day. Car intermittently had a bit of a hesitation since I got it but no CEL. Anyways, on the highway the car started bucking when trying to accelerate and then lost all power. After getting towed home I realize that my CEL doesn't work, stupid ass before me disabled it. Sure enough I pull the codes and there are 8 :o. Bit of research and found out that someone had connected the test mode connector. Unplugged and all 8 codes were gone. Car drove much better but still had a hesitation. Finally the knock sensor threw a code, replaced it and it runs like a champ! :)

• I Donated
I'm not sure on that one. Iirc, a wire runs straight from Battery to Alternator's Voltage Regulator. If the battery disconnects and I'm right, the alternator should stop producing voltage

Yes on the wire, but there is also another wire coming off the positive terminal that goes straight to the main fuse block under the hood.

How do you think your car will run with a bad alternator until the battery dies?

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Oh man, i am so happy I found this thread, because i have a list of problems that will blow all of yours out of the water. Sadly I don't have my stack of invoices on me right now but when I do I'll make sure to post everything. But in a nut shell I bought the car a little over a year ago for 800$ and have put about 6000+$ into it!

• I Donated
Oh man, i am so happy I found this thread, because i have a list of problems that will blow all of yours out of the water. Sadly I don't have my stack of invoices on me right now but when I do I'll make sure to post everything. But in a nut shell I bought the car a little over a year ago for 800$ and have put about 6000+$ into it!

I believe you have done some major repairs....but you probably haven't come close to breaking nearly as many things on Subarus as I have lol....and I always break the shit that "never breaks" so therefor I can't find replacement parts lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I believe you have done some major repairs....but you probably haven't come close to breaking nearly as many things on Subarus as I have lol....and I always break the shit that "never breaks" so therefor I can't find replacement parts lol

Nobody else seems to go through coil springs like underwear like you do. I'll give you that.

Archived