LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

Wasn't my idea! Can't take the credit for that! I thought you suggested to me to try it?

WHO WAS IT LOL

Although I did test it and it definitely works, the prongs in the switch get worn, just rotate them and thoroughly clean the contacts then hey presto, working like new switch

When the switch starts failing it will seem like the motor is dying btw, this is what I thought at first too but I tested this by swapped one of the rears switches in to test it and it's definitely switch related in my case

It was definitely you.

I remember clear as day!

Go back to about page 4 or 5 of this thread.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks guys, that's definitely a possibility. I just assumed a window motor would be cheap and pretty easy to do so why not? But at this point I'm broke so if this is a common occorance then I will definitely give that a shot. It fgoes down just fine, but it is a pain toget up, sometimes it doesn't/won't work period, others I just keep clicking it up over and over really fast and once in awhile it will go up( only if I forget I can't roll it down, or ill have to do that again haha)

Knock sensor and a mysterious misfire at idle with a/c on

your misfire is possibly from the compressor itself if you've eliminated all ignition and fuel related items. compressors are just little engines. they have heads with valves (reed type) and pistons. if one of the cylinders of the compressor is bad, it can put drag on the belt causing the crankshaft rotation to slow down. thats how misfires are monitored. the ckp looks for that slight speed up of the crank everytime a plug is fired. if it doesnt see that acceleration in crankshaft rotational speed, it assumes there has been a misfire. but check all the basics first. just some food for thought.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Thanks guys, that's definitely a possibility. I just assumed a window motor would be cheap and pretty easy to do so why not?

not cheap at all! unless you can find some in a junk yard. also, the imprezas have the motors reversed. i found that out the hard way, hehe. same exact motors, but the drivers side was the right one for my legacy passenger side. getting them in and out without getting pissed off and breaking stuff is a challenge, but doable. i found that some well-placed grease worked wonders while i was in there as well.

...It fgoes down just fine, but it is a pain toget up, sometimes it doesn't/won't work period, others I just keep clicking it up over and over really fast and once in awhile it will go up( only if I forget I can't roll it down, or ill have to do that again haha)...

This was my exact same problem.

I scraped the contacts clean, switched them around, & now my switch panel works well.

Question in regards to window thing.

Is this with either switch?

I'm trying to figure out as well if I have bad switch or motor.

Rear passenger side on my '97 L wagon goes up fine until half way then it slows down and stops about 1 & 1/2 inches from fully closed. It's this way using the switch on the driver's door and the one on the passenger door.

I figured tiref motor but after seeing this thread I have to ask. Does this sound normal for a just a faulty switch?

Forgive my ignorance, this is the first car I've ever owned that has power windows so my knowledge is severely lacking.

Sent from my not so smart phone using any means necessary

It was definitely you.

I remember clear as day!

Go back to about page 4 or 5 of this thread.

Lol i'll believe you then :D

I wonder if this would work for slow windows? Maybe I'll try it while on break.

It does, did it to my rear passenger windows and now they don't take 15 years to wind up

so is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? clean the contacts and what else, and how do I determine if It's the motor or switch if that doesnt fix it? The fact that it always seems to go down just fine (just not up) kinda stumps me.

clean the contacts, twist the prings around so the worn bit isn't being used any more.

Pretty much that's it, see how it goes.

I'm assuming you've take a rear switch and plugged it in the window that's not working to test first, takes 10 seconds to do

Ok so I took the door apart, the connectors all looked clean. I also gave each of the contacts a little twist hoping to get a better "bite" and no luck. I tried this on both the switch and motor connectors. So I'm assuming the switch is going bad internally

Ok so I took the door apart, the connectors all looked clean. I also gave each of the contacts a little twist hoping to get a better "bite" and no luck. I tried this on both the switch and motor connectors. So I'm assuming the switch is going bad internally

There is a little white piece of plastic inside the door switches that wears a flat spot after years of use. You just have to take the switch apart and flip that piece around and you will likely be good to go. Trust me, it's not complicated!

(When I say "little" I mean like the size of a grain of rice.)

I finally got a chance to jack up gtb and see why there was spring slap under load with rear left and not rear right

When I had my coilovers rebuilt the rear left spring has been installed upside down -_- don't have the tools to fix it either

There is a little white piece of plastic inside the door switches that wears a flat spot after years of use. You just have to take the switch apart and flip that piece around and you will likely be good to go. Trust me, it's not complicated!

(When I say "little" I mean like the size of a grain of rice.)

I'm not sure if I'm just blind or what, but I had no luck finding the piece you were referring to. I took the black plastic cover off of the back, revealing the circuit board and such. After I tried everything I could think of I just tore into the whole thing, taking the circuit board off and everything(you have to destroy the switch to do so), but I figured the switch is toast, but I still never saw that piece of plastic the size of a grain of rice

This is what you are looking for (found this photo on the outback forums. It's from a newer car, but it's the same sort of thing if I recall correctly... since it's been a few years since I fixed mine.)

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/do-yourself-illustrated-guides/17383d1285081486-diy-repair-sticky-drivers-window-switch-side-switch1.jpg

hmmm I honestly don't remember it looking like that. That sucks I tossed it I guess haha but all the signs in what made sense to me lead to the switch being bad. I guess the world will never know. I pray that the local junkyard has at least 1 laying around tho! haha. Now I know I suppose

Archived