LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

Don't know if I call it a fail, but I put 86 octane gas in my sedan yesterday, it drove like a pig and made some weird noises- sounded to me like when you shake up the dice before you throw them in a game of craps. It was making that noise pressing the gas at around 1800rpm- 2500..

Anyone know anything about that? Its the first time since I done the swap that I have heard that.

That octane is way too low. Our EJs need 87 or better.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick remedy you could try is throw some octane booster in the tanks and shake the car a bit.

Also, when you pre detonate it fights the compression stroke, as the crank is making the piston fight the pre mature explosion.

Puts alot of strains on the conrod and crank. And if those don't get hurt anything like rings, ringlands, or wrist pin holes can get cracked

Thanks guys, so its detonating before the rod and piston completes the upstroke? I can imagine how that would be bad for the rods and wrist pins..

Gas has gone up dramatically in the past few months, I was paying $3.43 per gallon of unleaded plus 89 octane 2 months ago, gone up gradually to $3.72. Capitolism at its best.

so... anyone know how to replace a window track? i cant get it out of the door and something's keeping the window from going up,

ive pulled on it as hard as i could, the whole car lifted up and tipped over

ive essentially dismantled the track and motor within the door itself and have been mobbin around with my window down 24/7 and it still gets like 35°F here and driving home on the freeway at night with my window down is significantly shortening my life due to excessive energy used by my body to keep itself from hypothermia and in turn, causing my car to hit a bridge at 70mph.

so i'd say this is getting pretty serious.

Did you take the roller rails out and those adjustable stops out of the rails? On mine I had to remove everything from the rails and there was a bracket on the window itself, I removed the outer belt molding so it would fit, it was a pain to dismantle the assembly.

After the window and roller rails are out there shouldn't be anything in the way, you just having a hard time snaking it out of the door shell?

^oh, the windows have the rollers on the brackets, they have a carriage bolt with a nut facing towards the outside of the car, I think its a #10...those will loosen the window from the regulator rail.

i feel your pain, bro

lol the motor is just tired i think and the massive jarring the whole car took from the suspension did it in i think also found out my endlinks are broken just now :spin:

Well this happened on Wed. but my passenger side timing jumped like 11 teeth both intake and exhaust were waaaaay off from where they would be.. it was almost 90 degrees from where it should be for the line mark..

Car idles but it's very very rough, I suspect the intake or exhaust valves are bent or both.. enough so they don't close at all.

I went to pick up me Legacy at the body shop today. When I started it the ABS LIGHT didnt turn off. They did front end work to her. Removed the old radiator support than had to cut a small piece off of the passager side front just behind the radiator support and before the shock tower. That's about all of the work I think they did. Does anyone have any ideas as what could have gone down with my ABS brake system?

lol the motor is just tired i think and the massive jarring the whole car took from the suspension did it in i think also found out my endlinks are broken just now :spin:

Hey man, anything you need for your car let me know. I'm about to start parting mine out.

Archived