LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apart from the brake calipers being frozen and having to be cut off, there's the control arms and ball joints that have virtually disintegrated. Let's not forget the undercarriage pan that is hanging by a thread because the bolts have rusted through. The gas cap cover is permanently open because the cable is rusted and frozen in the sheathing. Same with the trunk opening cable, other than that.... not much.... :)

Oh yeah, 4 codes thrown.... Cleaned the EGR (that I replaced last summer) and now we're down to 3 :)

The brake jobs minus the control arms $750 (only because I know someone!)

Battery dies this week while it was in the garage (our fault) and now it needs a charge and a weird sound is coming from the door (another thread) likely the auto door lock mechanism.

ABS ring snapped while trying to remove frozen caliper. Chemical welded it, took it for a test drive and the weld came off somewhere in the 2 mile drive through the neighborhood! Amazingly we managed to find it!!! Now there is an extra amount of weld material on it, 8 hours of heating and it seems to hold..... Other than that.... not much.....:rolleyes:

Well...

I leave work tonight to drive around and look at cars at all the dealerships. As I pull out of the parking lot I here something that sounds like a faint backfire, or like something fell off and/or hit the bottom of my car on the front drivers side.

I get to the ford dealership and what do I see as soon as I get out of my car?

My effing drivers side corner lamp hanging by the power cable. Both tabs broke.

I now have a shit ton of little scratches in my bumper that I need to get out.

I have the worst luck with this car..... -_-

Put in some premium fuel for the first time just for fun before a long road trip. After 200mi or so, I finally stopped to eat and noticed it was idling unusually rough (even more than normal! :lol:). Plus when driving the steering wheel has a lot of play (it just bounces, left, right, left, right with no change in steering).

Codes that popped up are P0400 and 420- Cat something or other (comes and goes) and EGR malf. The EGR valve seems to be working fine, it dies a bit when depressed but doesn't kill it completely. It works when I push the throttle as described in some other thread. I noticed that there is what appears to be oil in one of the hoses connecting to the air intake (those are part of the EGR system, right?)- is that normal? Others were fine. Would disconnecting the EGR system help prolong engine life regardless of the idling problem? I live in a glorious no-emissions testing state :lol:

Anyway while snooping around under there I found the cause of an odd noise that has always been there since I bought the car. The rear passenger's side (right when looking to rear of car) spark plug wire is COATED in grime where it connects to the spark plug. It's absolutely filthy whereas the other three only have a little bit of gunk on them. That wire is going "poofpoofpoofpoof" and it makes even more noise when I push on it. So those are def. getting replaced. I really need to get some degreaser and clean everything up to find out what all is leaking, but it's kinda overwhelming just thinking about it.

New to the forum, replaced left front axle. fixed hose from sunroof to A pillar exit gromet (hose must have shrunk about 1/2" from age sending water into footwell). Had my 95 Legacy sedan for 5 years-paid $500 for it. Daily work driver,runs like a champ. Everything works.

Archived