LegacyGT.com

What failed on your Second Generation Subaru today?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put the used tire in the rear. Do you have a 5MT or a 4EAT? If you have a 4EAT, it can be really sensitive to differences in tire circumference. I ran 4 different tires on my 5MT car for 18k hard miles and never had an issue.

During a 5 hour trip yesterday picking up a 79 datsun 810 coupe, my buddy failed to properly secure his wheels in the cargo area and they busted open a 5qt container of oil, dumped a good 4 quarts into my interior. Then on the way back, my rear cat broke off.

Fuggin' cars... luckily I'm a detailer so I can handle the oil, and the car will be breathing better once my resonated track pipe shows up. The stock cats go down to 1.5" at a couple spots, chokes the hell out of it.

parked smokey (the wagon) in the neighbors driveway while we work out the parking situation ive created by adding my sons truck last weekend. noticed yesterday theres a nice amount of drippage under the front end. great. going to pull it into my driveway so they dont get mad, then figure out where its coming from. hope its the power steering, since thats the one thing i have left to change on the front side. if it is, ill have to find two pumps since the GT has a knocking bearing in the pwr pump. sigh. also, my dodge has gotten worse on the leaking coolant. i need to pull the water pump and see what is failing. the civic is also needing some serious time on the suspension, the front right is failing. toss in a 72 chevy rebuild and im fully engrossed in vehicle issues burying me.

Do you think the difference in tread depth on same size tires would "stress" a differential? I would of never given that any consideration.

My center diff is on its way out from buying wrx wheels with tires that had uneven wear. So yeah, the difference will stress it. One tire had camber wear and the rest were even.

hope its the power steering, since thats the one thing i have left to change on the front side. if it is, ill have to find two pumps since the GT has a knocking bearing in the pwr pump. sigh.

If you do need one, I'll toss my extra one in when I send you the doors since you've been waiting so long. I'm going to get on the parts soon, I've just been slammed with stuff..

Haha damn... After all that praise lol

lol I love the car, but it's still not a Subaru.... Which is what I wanted, and still want.... But, I'm just really glad, and realize that I am very fortunate, to have such a nice car in general, so I'm being positive about the car.

What did you do kenny, try to race a Subaru? What did you break?

Annnnnnd well.... I have raced two Subaru's.... Dusted them both. A bug eye WRX from a 20 MPH roll, and an STi with a driver who couldn't keep up with me in turns. But, that's not when it broke.

The problem is low compression in cylinders two and three (rear center and rear drivers side). I have absolutely no idea what is causing it, and I haven't even had a lot of time to look into it. She's been sitting since last Sunday.. I'm going to do a compression test on Saturday morning with oil to find out if it's cylinder related or valve related. That'll get me started...

Summer of my broken Subaru continues: Remote locks have continued to deteriorate. Now never unlock and occasionally lock. Car is running like ass, obnoxiously bright check engine light back on, Autozone employee read codes for knock sensor, which I have since bought off of ebay, and a vacuum leak which I have not begun to comprehend, much less locate. I've been getting pretty bad gas mileage, average of ~24 mpg for mixed highway and city, 5 speed 2.2, I'm hoping the new knock sensor improves that.

Also, my speedo jumps sometimes, it's always around 20mph. I'm thinking perhaps the early stages of a failing speed sensor.

my speedo bounces until i get over 25ish mph also. kind of annoying. the GT locks are acting up with all the humidity this last coupe weeks, sometimes it wont unlock the other doors and i have to hit it a few times to get them to unlock. you can hear how sticky it seems to be. i thought it was weird, but my wagon is doing the same slow unlock as well. it doesnt do it when its not rainy tho.

and thanks, kenny! hope the honda isnt toasted

An Sti that couldn't keep up with an ff in the corners my god you should have taken his car from him and scolded the man. Absolutely terrible driving i guess. Hondas do handle good through the squigglys, better than most of that platform.

It was an 08/09 STi 5-door. Don't know who was driving. It was dark and he had tinted windows. Either way, I took off and he couldn't catch back up.

And yeah, I do have to give it to my Honda... It handles much better than I ever expected and has a pretty decent chassis overall. The grip is very high, but the motor is just about equal with the threshold of the chassis so it can be a handful at times. In general, the way it drives compared to a Subaru is WAY different. I could talk about it for an hour.

My list of mods includes an NA built motor and supporting parts, full exhaust, TL-S sway bars, Koni struts, Neuspeed race springs, some Enkei wheels and cup tires for summer, and an audio setup.

That's it lol. I'm keeping it a clean and classy sleeper.

My most fun were:

91 240SX w/SR20DET = TOO much fun.

96 850 Turbo = highway fun.

97 850 GLT turbo = good all around FWD car.

97 850 R = the bullshit stops.

98 Subaru Legacy L w/more braking/suspension mods than I care to remember = FUN.

I'm currently looking for an Impreza coupe in good mechanical condition for around a $1k or less. I want a spare car for a back up and project that I can slowly build into something awesome.

I miss mine sometimes, a blast to drive, I spent too much money on it and had my heart broken too many times.

This is how I feel about my 98 GT. It was my favorite car to drive but a complete POS. I worked on it twice a week and dumped way too much money in it.

Knock sensor replaced Friday, car was gold until Sunday when my ignition lock cylinder sort of froze up when I parked at a restaurant. I have to leave it in accessory mode, it won't turn past it, and it is only the fact that my key is so worn that I can take it out that keeps the vehicle usable at this point. I ordered a new one for about $40 shipped, saw a tutorial on YouTube that explained a manner of replacing it that is unbelievably easier than what the manual suggests, so I'll be doing that in a couple days. Not excited to have different door and ignition keys.

It's funny how I get to bounce back and forth from this thread to the "what did you do to your 2nd gen today" thread. Something breaks, I come here to complain, then I go there after I fix it. Then something else breaks...

Twisty, that is exactly what happened to the radiator on my GT. You can ONLY replace it from another GT/OB from 96 or 97. Don't buy an OEM or used one, as there are aftermarket units that aren't too expensive and the plastic is stronger. Autozone has a great one for $135. I bought one and put it in the GT. It's still holding up wonderfully.

Archived