LegacyGT.com

What's your most embarrassing Legacy DIY mistake?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By far - my dumbest mistake was swapping out the fuel pump alone, in my driveway, on a 95 degree day, without wearing eye protection.

I got sprayed in the open eyes and mouth by pressurized E85. :) While temporarily blinded (and spitting out fuel) - I managed crawl out of the car and fall over the back seat (that I had to remove to get at the fuel pump) that was sitting on my garage floor. While falling blindly (and still spitting the last drops of fuel) I tried to grab on to my full "recycling" garbage can. Long story short - picture a semi blind guy on the garage floor, sweating profusely while surrounded by bottles and cans.

By far - my dumbest mistake was swapping out the fuel pump alone, in my driveway, on a 95 degree day, without wearing eye protection.

I got sprayed in the open eyes and mouth by pressurized E85. :) While temporarily blinded (and spitting out fuel) - I managed crawl out of the car and fall over the back seat (that I had to remove to get at the fuel pump) that was sitting on my garage floor. While falling blindly (and still spitting the last drops of fuel) I tried to grab on to my full "recycling" garbage can. Long story short - picture a semi blind guy on the garage floor, sweating profusely while surrounded by bottles and cans.

I just lol'd in a public setting

Lol some of these are great and make me feel a whole lot better. :)

The first time I used my Porter Cable about 5 years ago I used WAY too aggressive a polish and the roughest pad I had right off the bat. I managed to melt the paint off the passenger door handle within the first three seconds of using the thing. I nearly cried I was so dam mad at myself.

I ended up buying rattle can paint and clear from paintscratch and I repainted and re-cleared just that door handle while it was still on the car in my garage. It actually turned out pretty good and that event boosted my confidence in painting small parts myself. It's held up well to this day. You can tell if I show you, but otherwise you'd never know unless you looked really closely at it.

I have a couple.

Not removing enough footwell lining on my 1976 mini to weld some holes - the tar caught on fire, managed to put it out.

Not pumping brakes on a Lotus Elise while working at a race school, rolled straight off the ramp into a formula ford being repaired behind. Luckily no damage.

The worst - 3 weeks ago after buying my LGT I spend 2 hours troubleshooting the windscreen washer system, testing pump, voltage on wires, fuses, everything. Read on the forum someone else with the same problem - i had been pulling the mist function instead of pushing the button. Idiot.

had a friend back into me and her insurance paid for a bumper cover replacement, new headlight, new side panel and a BEAUTIFUL paint job (i was floored)

anyways 2 days later my oil temp gage was getting spazzy. So i drove her up on ramps to tighten/check the connection....

my beautiful paint job is down to black plastic where the ramps rubbed :(

never worried about it with my old chipped peeling bumper

Did you at least get drunk from it?

lol

• I Donated
I apparently have short term memory loss issues when it comes to tools. I always lose them even if I just used it. I probably spent a quarter of my time this past weekend looking for where I put a socket, a wrench, a ratchet...hell, sometimes I have to look for where I've put my breaker bar or torque wrenches.

Been there, done that...

Just misread the torque specs- broke two of my new pressure plate bolts before i realized what was happening.

I pulled the bolts to the crank, pulled the flywheel, and took a second to figure out how to pull the studs. To my amazement, one tap with a hammer and punch extracted both.:eek:

Any shame in reusing the stock pressure plate bolts? Same thread pitch, diameter, and length, right?(06 lgt with act streetlite fw and act HDSS clutch kit).

Went to try and paint my headlight housings myself however, i broke both tabs on each of the headlights in the corners trying to pull the headlight apart after heating it up. At that point i gave up. At least both sides look even lol

OH do I have them. The percentage of error occurs when I'm tired, hot, pissed, drunk, in a hurry, late or otherwise distracted. Don't know how I did it, but my turbo in my super duty diesel was rattling, bumping, making all kinds of noise etc. I figured the wheel was shot, so I ordered a performance wheel from ebay. So I didn't drive it. When the part arrived, I pulled the up pipe. There was a freaking utility knife in there, with the blade point toward the wheel. I inspected with a magnifying glass and a light, couldn't find a scratch on the wheel, but the blade on the knife was almost completely gone. Without doing anything, I fired it up and yeah, all the noises were gone and it was back to normal. Drove about another 50k miles, no problems. So what happened to the shrapnel? and I have a backup $100. wheel.

I made the mistake of draining my coolant into 5 qt empty oil containers. Then placing the containers next to the new oil containers. Guess what happened next.

Yup, went to top off the oil one day with used coolant. Had to flush the system after that one. Lesson learn, place used oil/coolant on the other side of the garage.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Not on my legacy but spray painted some alloy wheels with out sanding or prepping.... Bad idea... The paint just puddled on top and all the little scratches were noticeable... It was horrible so I tried wiping it of quick...made it even worse... So I had to drive with one rim all smudged black to my sisters house and use her nail polish remover to take all the paint off... Took me 4 hours in total... Never again... Lol

After getting a tune I was cleaning my car that night. I noticed a green plug under the glove box was un plugged. So i plugged it in. The next day I started the car... check engine light was blinking. Was so paranoid and was pissed because I also need a new center diff.

Emailed the tuner and told him what about it. He said get the code read. Halfway through the day I rembered that green plug. I unlpugged it and i was all set.

Turns out its the "safe mode" for the car. Tuners use it

Dont plug that in!

After getting a tune I was cleaning my car that night. I noticed a green plug under the glove box was un plugged. So i plugged it in. The next day I started the car... check engine light was blinking. Was so paranoid and was pissed because I also need a new center diff.

Emailed the tuner and told him what about it. He said get the code read. Halfway through the day I rembered that green plug. I unlpugged it and i was all set.

Turns out its the "safe mode" for the car. Tuners use it

Dont plug that in!

those plugs are visable from my tune last week. ive been afraid to touch them so ive left them alone till i had time to google it lol

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

those plugs are visable from my tune last week. ive been afraid to touch them so ive left them alone till i had time to google it lol

You are such a dork. You would know what they were for if you just asked the tuner. haha. I have to use them for opensource tuning.

Archived