LegacyGT.com

What's your most embarrassing Legacy DIY mistake?

• Moderators
How about playing on a fire road a little too fast, drifting through a corner, and clipping a rock that explodes the sidewall of your tire? Did I mention there was only a few k-miles on the tire? Yup, that was me.

Not really a "DIY" mistake, but thanks for playing :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really a "DIY" mistake, but thanks for playing :)

True, and I've been lurking here long enough to know better.

Maybe this one will redeem myself; being lazy and not discontenting the battery, then accidentally touching a wrench to the positive terminal and arching a hole in the radiator. Zzzt...whoa that was close...where's this coolant coming from?....aww F!

True, and I've been lurking here long enough to know better.

Maybe this one will redeem myself; being lazy and not discontenting the battery, then accidentally touching a wrench to the positive terminal and arching a hole in the radiator. Zzzt...whoa that was close...where's this coolant coming from?....aww F!

I did that on a lawn mower battery, so now one of my wrenches has a nice black charred spot to remind me not to be an idiot from now on.

It's cool; I'm with the band

When removing a sticker from the driver's door glass, I didn't realize the heat gun was melting the s#!t out of the top of the door panel. It's just cosmetic, but damn!

Anyone selling a black limited drivers door card? :cool:

First time I tried changing my brake pads... The first side went smoothly, despite the caliper being rusted. When I got to the second side, the pistons were frozen. Like a noob, I figured maybe pumping the brake pedal might help. It just pushed them out further, and while trying to push it in by hand, the rubber seal broke and i got a brake fluid facial. Not fun. Had to get the caliper replaced.

1. Me being a noob I thought the replacement bulbs they sell at Walmart and Pepboys were the HIDs since they are blue. The guy told me the bulbs I need that fit my vehicle are H4 bulbs. I brought low and high beams for $88... put them in and was not happy with the results since they were the same color, almost everything as the old bulbs. Took them back and ordered actual HIDs online... and what did I do? I ordered H4 bulb HIDs..... and they of course did not fit at all to my car (since bulb numbers are different than the replacement bulbs at Pepboys)

I reordered the HIDs and got the correct bulbs for it and what happens? The new ones hook up fine and actually work, but the HID backs were too wide to fit into the headlight. So instead of returning them again being furious at not having HIDs, I grinded the plastic backs of the HIDs thin enough so so they fit and now have working HIDs.

2. Sitting in my car for 1/2 an hour trying to see why its not turning over when it wasnt set in park (AT). I learned that Legacies have sensitive shifters and may not be in park even if you put it in the parking slot unless you wiggle it around.

3. Driving around with very little oil in the engine (It reads no oil on the dipstick when sitting for 1/2 hour and when sitting all day it reads low on the dipstick during the winter due to low viscosities?) Thank god it didnt blow and after checking all fluids I added a little tranny oil to the drive train.

I had a Tahoe with a driveability problem I'd just fixed and had it running in my garage with the hood up. I reached in to the engine compartment and blipped the throttle to check how the engine was running. Then I put the ebrake on and put the truck in "drive" and went back to poking around under the hood to check how it idled in gear. I blipped the throttle again forgetting it was in gear and it lunged forward pinning me against the garage wall. It took like 5 minutes to wiggle my way out, and it hurt a bit.

I had a Tahoe with a driveability problem I'd just fixed and had it running in my garage with the hood up. I reached in to the engine compartment and blipped the throttle to check how the engine was running. Then I put the ebrake on and put the truck in "drive" and went back to poking around under the hood to check how it idled in gear. I blipped the throttle again forgetting it was in gear and it lunged forward pinning me against the garage wall. It took like 5 minutes to wiggle my way out, and it hurt a bit.

Nice one.

That's got to be on the wall of shame

I had the whole front end suspension a part replacing all the CAB, wheel hubs, sway bar end links, etc. Didnt replace the ball joints... put her back together and crunch, click, crunch everytime i take off and stop. FML

my "blonde" moment with my 98 legacy was when i first got it. I checked my dipstick and saw that there was some black sludge like substance on the very bottom so i figured id take the drian pan off and give it a good wipe. I pulled the pan off cleaned up all hte selant on the trans, then cleaned all the sealent on the pan. I removed the magnet and wipped the pan down which was actually not dirty at all. Had the amgnet sitting beside me and was thinking ok i have to make sure i put that back on the pan. I then procedded to rtv the pan and crawled back under my car stuck it i nspot adn got about 12/15 bolts toruqed on when i realized i forgot about the magnet....

My option was remove the pan again, no magnet, or break the magnet in half and slide it abck in through the drian hole. I went with the last option which worked actually really well took a bit of playing around in the hole ;) but i was able to slide the two halves back into there appropriate spots.

Needless to say i wont be forgetting that ever again.

my "blonde" moment with my 98 legacy was when i first got it. I checked my dipstick and saw that there was some black sludge like substance on the very bottom so i figured id take the drian pan off and give it a good wipe. I pulled the pan off cleaned up all hte selant on the trans, then cleaned all the sealent on the pan. I removed the magnet and wipped the pan down which was actually not dirty at all. Had the amgnet sitting beside me and was thinking ok i have to make sure i put that back on the pan. I then procedded to rtv the pan and crawled back under my car stuck it i nspot adn got about 12/15 bolts toruqed on when i realized i forgot about the magnet....

My option was remove the pan again, no magnet, or break the magnet in half and slide it abck in through the drian hole. I went with the last option which worked actually really well took a bit of playing around in the hole ;) but i was able to slide the two halves back into there appropriate spots.

Needless to say i wont be forgetting that ever again.

you were really excited typing that, werent you?

Slightly OT, but, my buddy drained the trans oil in his 09Tacoma instead of the engine oil, then proceeded to put 5 more quarts into the engine.

Drove 100 miles with a dry AT and 10qts in the engine. Tranny was toast, engine is fine - for now.

It's not even the first time he's changed the oil.

Death of a Windshield

Changing wipers and had the passenger side arm up with no blade on it and going to put the blade on it, swung the blade around and hit the arm and it fell at about 2395847346585747 mph against the glass and broke the windshield.

I had the whole front end suspension a part replacing all the CAB, wheel hubs, sway bar end links, etc. Didnt replace the ball joints... put her back together and crunch, click, crunch everytime i take off and stop. FML

We know that your embarassing DIY was already posted. You got schooled hard by fleebay.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-grimmspeed-up-pipe-thoughtsi-202262.html?t=202262

We know that your embarassing DIY was already posted. You got schooled hard by fleebay.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-grimmspeed-up-pipe-thoughtsi-202262.html?t=202262

OMG. How did I miss that trainwreck of a thread? :O

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...

I discovered one of the dumbest mistakes I've ever made with my LGT last night...

I've been driving without an oil cap for 2 days, including an hour long trip to and from Pittsburgh. Smelled heavy gas at a stop light, opened the hood when I got home last night and no oil cap. I was checking my oil last time I filled up 2 days ago, and must have left it on top of the battery. Didn't burn a drop, and nothing on the underside of the hood.

Text a local member who's done a number of projects and had an oil cap 30 minutes later.

• I Donated Too
Don't feel bad about that... I did the same thing. Surprisingly car didn't seem to care and didn't make a mess of the underside of the hood. I am sure the PCV valve enjoyed the rest though. So now we know there's at least two yellow oil caps for the Legacy rolling around somewhere on the roads...

I've got a few recent dumb mistakes...

First, I was mating my transmission recently after replacing a broken pilot bearing. After struggling for awhile to get everything to line up we decided to use the studs to draw the transmission up to the block. The transmission was slightly misaligned, so as we cranked down the studs we forced the input shaft of the transmission straight through the inner race of the pilot bearing. A few seconds later there was a large POP and I heard some metal pieces fall on the garage floor. We pulled the transmission back off and I discovered that we completely shattered the pilot bearing. Luckily this was the only part that was damaged, and after a trip to the dealership I put the transmission back in the car... VERY SLOWLY:)

Second, after wrapping up the clutch job I noticed I was only hitting 14psi when targeting 18psi boost. Thinking that my uppipe was leaking(which it was) I pulled the intercooler and downpipe to re-torque the uppipe studs. I re-installed the downpipe and intercooler, then went for a drive. Boost was much closer to target, but as soon as I hit boost there was a horrible squealing noise. I panicked for awhile thinking my turbo was on its last leg, then decided to calm down, pop the hood, and inspect EVERYTHING. During my inspection I noticed that the throttle body hose was loose, tightened the worm clamp, and went for a test drive. Problem solved, and crisis averted.

Moral of the story- rushing NEVER pays off. Regardless of the reason for rushing, you're better off taking your time. When you reach a dead-end, stop, think about whats happening, and inspect any possible cause. This process helped me learn that the transmission misalignment was caused by interference between the turbo's flange and the bellhousing. Loosening the turbo created just enough space for the transmission to slide on without any binding whatsoever. You live and you learn!

Don't feel bad about that... I did the same thing. Surprisingly car didn't seem to care and didn't make a mess of the underside of the hood. I am sure the PCV valve enjoyed the rest though. So now we know there's at least two yellow oil caps for the Legacy rolling around somewhere on the roads...

OK, I admit I did the same thing. Found mine sitting on the underpan, so I didn't loose it, felt like a dumbass tho that's for sure

Moral of the story- rushing NEVER pays off. Regardless of the reason for rushing, you're better off taking your time. When you reach a dead-end, stop, think about whats happening, and inspect any possible cause. This process helped me learn that the transmission misalignment was caused by interference between the turbo's flange and the bellhousing. Loosening the turbo created just enough space for the transmission to slide on without any binding whatsoever. You live and you learn!

Yup, it's easy to throw up your hands in frustration and mentally quit. But it's always good to take a step back, drink a beer and think things through.

And double check the little things.

Archived