LegacyGT.com

What's your most embarrassing Legacy DIY mistake?

You are such a dork. You would know what they were for if you just asked the tuner. haha. I have to use them for opensource tuning.

Sorry I dont tune my car and have not encountered them before...

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are such a dork. You would know what they were for if you just asked the tuner. haha. I have to use them for opensource tuning.

Didn't notice them until a day or so after and wasn't so worried about it

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

• I Donated
On my old 94 sentra, I changed the oil for the first time and it went fine. The 2nd time however, I had CRANKED on the oil filter and as you can guess, it was stuck on there like crazy. I had to get it towed to my mechanic after trying everything I could think of, including shoving a screwdriver through it and trying to twist it off like that. I stopped tightening them too much after that.

When installing the EWG, I forgot to install the valve seat. When I started the car, it sounded like I was running open headers. It hit me at that point. "Shit, forgot the damn valve seat!" :lol: No harm done, though. Just time lost.

Was torquing the first head down and misread in-lbs as ft-lbs, wasn't thinking straight due to being pissed off with some other shit and broke one of the outer bolts. Dang!!! Machine shop gave up trying to get it out after breaking a punch in there (it was two inches in there and sheared at an angle) so thought I needed a whole new block. Got it home, put a 1/4" drive chrome socket that exactly fit the counterbore down the hole backwards and used the 1/4" drive square hole as a guide to center a 1/4" drill bit and just pecked at the middle of the sheared bolt for a long time until it created a nice dimple. Then took a pilot point drill bit the size of the counterbore and used the dimple as a center punch mark to carefully shave away the tip of the bolt and make it a flat surface. Then took a reverse drill bit from my extractor set and went at it and it snagged at one point which made it break the bolt loose and bring it out!!! Glad I had these tools, else i'd have been $600 in the hole and my wife wife would have tried to get me 6 feet down the hole! lol

• I Donated
I made the mistake of draining my coolant into 5 qt empty oil containers. Then placing the containers next to the new oil containers. Guess what happened next.

Yup, went to top off the oil one day with used coolant. Had to flush the system after that one. Lesson learn, place used oil/coolant on the other side of the garage.

I put blue painter's tape on all the containers in my garage that have used oil or coolant, because I know if I don't that I will do something similar. :cool:

i stripped out the threads on the cold side of my turbo from taking off and reinstalling my intercooler too many times. decided that a helicoil was the best way to fix it, but i snapped the tap off in the housing. stupid. i tried backing it out with a chisel but it wouldn't budge. i tried all sorts of drill bits but they couldn't cut through the tap.

easy fix though...just bought a VF52 ;)

In the process of doing a DIY upgrade from Button Shifters to paddles shifters from an 08 on my 05 LGT and was going to do a writeup with pictures. Installed 90% of the parts without take 1 picture. Other than that I found out my wires were stripped in the hatch boots and used butt connectors to repair them. Lasted about a week. Now I took the time and repaired them last night with some soldering and heat shrink.

i stripped out the threads on the cold side of my turbo

I too stripped out the turbo to IC threads and ended up with a BNR68.

Cross threaded my new VF52

There is a thread here somewhere about using studs in the turbo instead of rethreading in the bolts every time... I've been meaning to do it myself.

• 4 months later...

On my RS, just a couple years into ownership, doing my 4th or 5th ever oil change, once I was done, I started her up and checked for leaks. Oil was pouring down around the oil filter. Stopped the car, pulled the filter, and found the o-ring from the previous filter didn't come off with the old filter. :mad:

Worst part about this? My brother, also with an RS, did the exact same thing just a week or two before, and when I was getting ready to change mine, warned me to check that the o-ring came off. :redface:

I punched myself about as hard as I could possibly punch myself in the chest trying to break the caliper bracket bolt doing my front brakes one day. I think I may have bruised a rib, it hurt to laugh/cough/sneeze for 2 weeks.

Also, not relayed to modding, but my first mt trans car. I parked it outside of my work, went inside and was working for about an hour. My dad comes into work, family business, and asks if I intend to leave my car there all day. I forgot to set the e-brake and wasn't in gear. It slowly drifted into the middle of the parking lot.

Left my jeep running overnight one time too. Late one night after work, was going to go out, ran inside to get something and passed out. My dad woke me up and asked what I was doing up so early that my car was running. :confused:

I punched myself about as hard as I could possibly punch myself in the chest trying to break the caliper bracket bolt doing my front brakes one day. I think I may have bruised a rib, it hurt to laugh/cough/sneeze for 2 weeks.

I did almost the same thing however It was my rear brakes and I punched myself in the eye.. It threw me off my feet and I had a black eye for a few days, soooo embarrassing.

Archived