LegacyGT.com

What's your most embarrassing Legacy DIY mistake?

I lost a 1/2" Craftsman ratchet with a T70 Torx bit attached to it for the better part of 8 months. I searched my toolbox, I searched my garage, the driveway, the grass, I asked friends if they saw it, nothing... Finally I just called it quits and bought a new 1/2" ratchet and ordered a new T70 bit.

I found the ratchet with the bit attached to it underneath my passenger seat. It never rattled, never rolled out, never moved at all until one day it just... appeared in the footwell of my rear passenger seat. So now I have 2 1/2" ratchets and 2 T70 Torx bits. I learned my lesson to finally put things away and haven't lost a thing since. *knocks on wood*

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bought 4 centrix calipers for my legacy from tire rack. 2 part numbers so knew one was for front calipers and other part must be for rears. Got calipers and had disassembled, powder coated blue, reassembled, and took to shop to have installed. Part numbers turned out to be for rears only but right and left, and for regular legacy, not gt. Did big brake brembos all round in the end.(blue of course) Any one want 4 blue rear calipers for regular 05-09 legacy?

Ooh, this one's a doozy. A couple of years ago I was doing the 60k service on my '08 Spec B. My wife and kids were out of town so I had a solid couple of days in the garage by myself to do the work.

Anyone who's done the plugs on this car knows what a huge pain in the butt the driver's side rear one is. It took me as long as the other 3 combined. But I got that done, got all the various fluids changed, and, after much swearing and frustration, finished everything I set out to do. Last step: get the car down off the ramps and jack stands. Simple enough, right? Right.

So the front of the car is on ramps and the rear is on jack stands. I raise up the rear driver's side of the car, pull the jack stand out, and lower the jack. So far so good. I put the jack under the rear passenger side and start jacking (*snicker*). I get the car up off the jackstand. Then all of a sudden, in slow motion, I see the car start to roll backwards. Then, in even slower motion, I see the jackstand and the jack tip over, and the car come crashing down on top of them. Oh, and did I mention that because this in December, and it was cold out, that I was doing this in the garage with the garage door closed? So the car actually crashed INTO the garage door? Yeah, I was pretty pissed. And it's a good thing my kids weren't around because they would have learned some new words from me that day.

What happened was that when I raise the rear of the car off the jackstands, the front of the car rolled down off the ramps. The car had been in neutral. The outcome was that the rocker panel on the passenger side got pretty badly gouged, and the lower portion of the rear passenger door got dented. The rear bumper got gouged by the inside of the garage door. Thankfully the garage door still worked, so I didn't have to also replace that. It hurt enough cutting a check to the body shop to get everything else I destroyed repaired.

But hey, I saved money by doing the work myself, right??

Forgot to tighten down #4 cylinder coil pack whend doing spark plugs. It made it 2 months before it shook loose and caused all sorts of misfires. I thought the ringland had gone. I took it to the dealer and got it looked at. It cost me $90 for them to tell me "Whoever did the spark plugs last is an idiot". Thanks, that was me.

Remembered another, not terribly embarrassing(compared to the other confessions) but on my 05 when i was learning i forgot to put a cover over the fender when leaning over to install Perrin TMIC which as you all know FIT PERFECTLY! So belt buckle left a sweet set of racing stripes on the fender.

Lesson: Don't reach/lean over fender with pants on... (or just put a cover over it)

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Not really a DIY, but the first month of owning the car I went out to start it on that cold September morning to let the frost melt. I went back inside to finish getting ready.... When I came out to leave for work the car was gone! I thought someone had stole it. With my heart racing, I glanced across the street where it had rolled down my driveway where the curb had stopped it from hitting the light pole. To this day I double check to make sure the e-brake is engaged.

I have just started turning wrenches on mine and somewhat got the mod bug so I'm sure I will be able to contribute more DIY specific mishaps. :D

i broke my rear emblem doing the color change mod.

i had done it once before, and put it back together too good.

when i went to change color a second time i broke it. :(

anyone with a spare rear emblem for sale PM me!

Forgot the ebrake / first gear engaged twice

At a Wendys: some guy sitting down eating noticed the car rolling backwards and said " hey is that your car" while I walked into the lobby. almost shat my pants seeing roll back.

At work: my co - worker was heading out and came back in asking if my car was a manual and I was like yea. hes said you forgot the ebrake...

Thankfully both times, it rolled onto flatter land and stopped before hitting anything

i kept wondering why i was loosing so much coolant so i got home from work a few weeks ago and topped it off. a few days later i was getting gas and had the hood up checking fluids and i realized that was the windshield washer reservoir i had topped off with coolant :spin:

putting in a turbo timer (i know) shorted out a 50 amp fuse crippling the car for a few days until i could get a tow

Drove a whole week with my wiper fluid not working. Finally got around to diagnosing the problem since I knew the reservoir was full.

I spent an hour checking all the connections, making sure there was no obstruction or pinched lines, made sure the fuses and relays were good.

Then I found my missing 1/4 wratchet, which I hadn't seen since the weekend before when I installed my headers and turbo blanket. It was sitting on the cowl.

I thought, "Oh there's my wraaaayou ******* idiot."

As soon as the hood closed the wratchet completely pinched the washer fluid line. Unreal.

Drove a whole week with my wiper fluid not working. Finally got around to diagnosing the problem since I knew the reservoir was full.

I spent an hour checking all the connections, making sure there was no obstruction or pinched lines, made sure the fuses and relays were good.

Then I found my missing 1/4 wratchet, which I hadn't seen since the weekend before when I installed my headers and turbo blanket. It was sitting on the cowl.

I thought, "Oh there's my wraaaayou ******* idiot."

As soon as the hood closed the wratchet completely pinched the washer fluid line. Unreal.

i lost ALL of my pop-its that way

I don't recommend anyone who's posting in this thread to work on their car while not wearing pants :rolleyes:

One of the first things I was taught during my short tenure as a "gas jockey" (1976) was to put your belt buckle on the side, over your hip. Those were the days of full serve, and you leaned over a lot of fenders to check the oil. Boss didn't like paying for paint work.

• 3 weeks later...
About a year ago when I had just purchased my used 2009 2.5i, I decided to replace the differential fluids with some silky Amsoil fluid. When I tightened up the rear I used a breaker bar to tighten the bolts back up.... ****CRACK***** stripped the bolt and cracked the rear diff. case. Decided to drain it, and put JB Weld on the crack and the bolt and its held up for a year now.

Did an oil change and I must've left the drain pan just under a tire because when I lowered the front end, i dumped the whole 5 quarts onto the garage floor.

Not on my legacy, but on my old Lesabre I changed front brake pads but didn't pump the brakes to get pressure in the lines again before my test drive. I freaked out for a second when I first hit the brakes rolling out of the driveway but I pumped the pedal and stopped just short of my sister's new Corolla.

Broke a turbo stud removing the downpipe. PB Blaster is your friend. I'm sure other things will happen as I work on the car. Can't wait for the string if profanity and frantic smart phone forum searching for a solution. If it happens to you chances are someone else has done it!

Ran out of wiper fluid once. Was in a hurry to leave. So i ran into the garage and grabbed the bottle of fluid. (the stuff i use has a picture of snow and ice on it.) started pouring it into the wiperfluid tank and it came running out fairly goopy... Looked at the bottle i had grabbed (with a picture of a snow covered mountain) and noticed it was antifreeze... :rolleyes:

Ill always read bottles from now on.. Antifreeze doesnt clean a window very well.

Archived