LegacyGT.com

What's your most embarrassing Legacy DIY mistake?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a Legacy, and not me... but my father has told me a story about tearing down a car with a friend when he was younger, a 4-cylinder. They were inside a garage between the front of the car and the garage wall. They had just removed the head and placed it off to the side when suddenly the car lurched forward a foot, stopped, then lurched again, stopped, then lurched again. This with the head removed...

Any guesses as to what happened?

Tits mcgee

fogetting to snap the fork onto the pivot ball during install. just slid it up thinking i locked on. install was harder and made a awful noise, then slipped. pulled it all back apart within 3 days and under 60 miles on it. made a groove in fork/cleaned and welded it. and took some life off the clutch disc and mild spot spot on pp and flywheel but cleaned and prepped and reinstalled them.

and not tightening endlinks enough so heard a clunk noise for a week as i chased it down.

also replaced every gasket or seal i came across, but car was down so long when it was finally ready to go back on the road i skipped the axle seals...yea shoulda done them as now they leaked....luckily did them when the trans came back down to remedy the fork issue.

Not a Legacy, and not me... but my father has told me a story about tearing down a car with a friend when he was younger, a 4-cylinder. They were inside a garage between the front of the car and the garage wall. They had just removed the head and placed it off to the side when suddenly the car lurched forward a foot, stopped, then lurched again, stopped, then lurched again. This with the head removed...

no parking break and/or car fell off jacks/jack stands?

I was in the process of installing a new turbo on my former LGT and changed the oil feed line to the FP one. In the process of removing the banjo bolt, I dropped it down the uppipe and it found its way into the cross pipe. So I had to drop the cross pipe in order to get that bolt back. Since then, I've remembered to block off any holes that random bolts might fall into (UP, TB, etc)
It's cool; I'm with the band

no parking break and/or car fell off jacks/jack stands?

Nope. It was on the ground, in gear.

Give up?

The head they pulled off was sitting off to the side of the motor. It slid onto the positive terminal of the battery AND up against the positive terminal of the starter (what are those odds), and with the car in gear, it started chugging toward them one dry crank at a time. How ridiculous is that?

Tits mcgee

Most embarrassing had to be when I was changing my up pipe (one of my first mods) and knocking the half moon cam seal out of place. eyes WIDE open backing up the driveway looking at a fat trail of oil following me. stupid thing leaked for about two more years ever so slightly from a rookie replacement job.

I was taking the cams off my head taking them apart and pulled too hard, then pop! out came the cam flying through the air! Thank god I caught it or else idk how I would have felt putting a very dropped cam back into a new motor. phew.

• 2 weeks later...

I take that back, ultimate rookie maneuver just pulled tonight. Just finished my engine build project and got everything buttoned up into the car and started it...forgot to install the rear main seal. Now to pull the Tranny tomorrow night : (

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ha, where to start...

I apparently have short term memory loss issues when it comes to tools. I always lose them even if I just used it. I probably spent a quarter of my time this past weekend looking for where I put a socket, a wrench, a ratchet...hell, sometimes I have to look for where I've put my breaker bar or torque wrenches. Oh, and I have a 4 drawer rolling tool chest/cart sitting bnib in the corner of my garage.

I enjoy dropping the little nuts for the v-band clamps for my ewg...as I'm trying to clamp it down. The fun part is that my pass cv axle had the lovely boot rip...so that entire area of my car was coated in grease. I dropped the nut twice...instead of hearing a nice tinkle tinkle and looking for where it fell down...all you hear is a muffled dink. Great...fishing blind in cv axle grease for a tiny little nut. Oh, found a DP nut that I had lost a year ago at the same time!

Wondering why I coudln't tighten the rear propshaft to diff all the way and my wrench kept popping off like I was rounding it out...*look at wrench*...13mm.

Wrapping my downpipe...I wore gloves, but apparently the protect your skin from fiberglass itch-fest concern didn't apply to my arms or my legs (wearing shorts and a t-shirt).

After taking my car for a spin after the new clutch is installed--get down the road and all I hear is this constant banging/clanging/sounds of destruction. Freak out thinking I seriously broke something somehow. Mental images of metal parts smashing into metal parts while giving me the finger appeared in my head. Get under the car...when mating my transmission back to my engine, I must have pushed up the little metal protection flap that helps block the slit at the bottom of the bellhousing. (Yes, I drop the transmission instead of pulling the engine) It and my flywheel teeth got a little friendly. Insert pry bar...bend flap back...all better.

Ah, the countless memories me and my car have created...

I have an Outback but it still applies...

Reading the list of cheap DIY mods, I decided to remove the airbox resonator (yes yes, I know). At the end of the how-to the OP listed "Don't forget to re-connect the MAF". I kinda chuckled at that. How the hell could you forget that?

Guess what I did? Not only that, but I had to pull the airbox out again because I couldn't even see the connector to plug it back in. Easy fix, but that will learn me for being cocky.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I have an Outback but it still applies...

Reading the list of cheap DIY mods, I decided to remove the airbox resonator (yes yes, I know). At the end of the how-to the OP listed "Don't forget to re-connect the MAF". I kinda chuckled at that. How the hell could you forget that?

Guess what I did? Not only that, but I had to pull the airbox out again because I couldn't even see the connector to plug it back in. Easy fix, but that will learn me for being cocky.

I did the same damn thing. Thinking " how could you forget to plug in the MAF...started the car and gave it a good rev to hear the whoosh and CEL!!! Haha. Felt so dumb.

Surprisingly nothing that dumb with my legacy, I think I got most out of my system on previous cars. I've tried to start going somewhere with the parking brake engaged about a dozen times now with my legacy. Changed the oil outside on a very windy day, so about 50% of the oil actually went into the drain pan. That's all I can really think of with the legacy.

With other cars..

-Driven over car ramps

-Left the oil cap off after changing the oil, didn't remember until I had already been driving the car for 20 minutes

I'm sure there are plenty more, but those are all I can think of at the moment

I was conditioning my leather the other day, shut the passenger side door and it bounced right back at me. The seatbelt buckle was in the jamb. Lucky me it was right on the passenger door switch. So it literally obliterated the switch. Had to do some serious plastic bonding to rebuild it until I order a new one.

Felt like a complete tool.

Archived