LegacyGT.com

What's your most embarrassing Legacy DIY mistake?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dumb mistake happened while changing the wheel hub on my Prius.

I broke down everything in the wheel well to get ready and remove the hub. The only item I had left was to disconnect the axle from the hub, and was at the part to remove the axle nut. There is a dent made in the axle nut by the installer so it doesn't spin itself loose. You need to pop the dent out so that while removing the nut, it doesn't destroy the threads on the axle.

So I'm hammering away, and I pop out the dent. I throw a socket on the impact wrench and hit the axle nut. Well the nut didn't quite come off and I see particles of metal fly around the hub.

"Ohhh shit! **** **** **** **** **** ****", is what I'm thinking.

It turns out that I didn't quite push that dent out all the way, some of it was still interfering with the threads, guess what, I stripped the threads. Silly thought not to double check my work closely.

My mistake cost me almost $400 for the OEM axle. The threads and section are non serviceable. D'oh!!!

I have such a bad habit of throwing tools around the engine bay , especially on the cowling and then being pissed off cause 'I just saw that tool a minute ago?!'

I do the same thing all the time... I couldn't find my 1/4" ratchet for a few weeks... then I found it jammed in between my rad fan while doing my acc belts. Needless to say the passenger side fan seized up.

• 4 months later...
I overfilled my engine oil. I thought that I could slightly loosen the oil drain plug and let a little out, then plug it back in. I was using a tupperware container. It would have worked great, but the little bit of time it took to bring the car from our apartment garage to the front, heated the oil up to hot for my skin. I almost had the plug threaded, but the burning became unbearable so I had to just let it go...all over the road in front of our old apartment.

• Moderators
I overfilled my engine oil. I thought that I could slightly loosen the oil drain plug and let a little out, then plug it back in. I was using a tupperware container. It would have worked great, but the little bit of time it took to bring the car from our apartment garage to the front, heated the oil up to hot for my skin. I almost had the plug threaded, but the burning became unbearable so I had to just let it go...all over the road in front of our old apartment.

That's just irresponsible :spin: Live and learn...not to pour engine oil into the sewers...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

In my teenage years, I replaced a wheel cylinder on the rear of an old pushrod Subaru (think it was an '83 GL). The brake drum was the wheel hub, so it had bearing races made into it. Outer bearing was retained with a nut with a little metal plate behind it that keyed to the spindle and you bent it up in a couple of places over the flats on the nut to keep it from backing off.

Yeah. . .forgot to do that.

Wheel came off while I was making my way around a cloverleaf off-ramp. Fortunately it didn't come all the way off, just chewed up my spindle, so I spent the next day replacing that and the brake drum.

Good times. . .

When I was replacing my headlights with HIDs after the halogens burned out again, I had set the headlight back-cover-things on top of the air filter box and driver's-side strut... or maybe it was the fuse box. Part way through the install, I realized that I needed something (I don't remember what), so I dropped the hood, started the engine, and drove to the nearby Ace Hardware store. I didn't need my headlights working to drive during the day, after all. When I got home to finish the job, I saw what I had done. The headlight back-cover-things were still right where I left them in the engine bay. I'm just thankful they didn't drop into a fan or a belt or something.

http://sadtrombone.com/

I installed a DW65C fuel pump into my 08 LGT and filled up my tank completely. Afterwards, I realized the fuel pump seal was not perfectly lined up with the metal bracket. For whatever reason I forgot the gas tank is completely filled and I start to loosen the 8 nuts holding down the fuel pump. Gas...gas bubbling out of the seals everywhere.

First aftermarket exhaust install (Chevy Cobalt) and the bolts that held the midpipe to the cat were rusted solid (car was from snow belt). So I decided that I would drill them out... drill bit ended up slipping and hitting my wrist pulling out a nice chunk. Needless to say I learned from that one.

My dumb mistake happened while changing the wheel hub on my Prius.

I broke down everything in the wheel well to get ready and remove the hub. The only item I had left was to disconnect the axle from the hub, and was at the part to remove the axle nut. There is a dent made in the axle nut by the installer so it doesn't spin itself loose. You need to pop the dent out so that while removing the nut, it doesn't destroy the threads on the axle.

So I'm hammering away, and I pop out the dent. I throw a socket on the impact wrench and hit the axle nut. Well the nut didn't quite come off and I see particles of metal fly around the hub.

"Ohhh shit! **** **** **** **** **** ****", is what I'm thinking.

It turns out that I didn't quite push that dent out all the way, some of it was still interfering with the threads, guess what, I stripped the threads. Silly thought not to double check my work closely.

My mistake cost me almost $400 for the OEM axle. The threads and section are non serviceable. D'oh!!!

I'll bet I've spun off more than 100 axle nuts with an impact wrench without ever trying to take the stake out of the nut and have never had an issue with any of them. The nut is softer than the axle stub that goes through the HBA and if I'm doing both sides, I generally switch the nuts to make sure that I have a new stake area although it really doesn't matter. I've re-staked axle nuts many times with never an issue.

Did the headgaskets on a 2005 duramax diesel, had it 100% done (40 hours later, first one I ever did) went to fill and check the oil, I forgot the dip stick tube. To install it you have to take off the downpipe, starter, and exhaust manifold. Added about 4 hours to the job :-(

It was just the other day, you probably remember it well, it was just the other day, jussstt the other day.......................

Took plugs out of 05 LGT to replace with new and phone rang and spent about 20 minutes on the phone. Then had to run to the store because the phone was my wife and of COURSE it was WAYYYYYY more important than ANYTHING (including stopping thermonuclear war or curing the world of cancer or figuring out the meaning of life) that I could be doing at the time. I needed to pick up some baking powder.....yay, yay.....BUT...the cake later was at least pretty damn good. The ONLY thing I got to smile about that day.:p

Finally get back to the car, put the plugs back in, just finish buttoning everything up. Clean the MAF and air filter, check belts and coolant, and do a quick detail (clean battery top, wipe down intake manifold, blow out crap that accumulates from driving and sitting outdoors) and the put my tools away.

Anyone notice what was wrong with the statement above? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Put the plugs BACK in. :mad:

Putting tools away and notice sitting in the top tray of the tool box are.....wait for it.......wait for it.........wait for it........

YUP...YOU GUESSED IT.....:nono::nono::nono::nono:

4 brand spanking new NGK plugs, gapped, anti-seized, and looking very shiny, sharp, and damn spiffy in all their glory. :mad::spin::mad::spin::mad::spin:

F**king phone anyways.....Ringer shut OFF from now on while working on the damn car.

Got the wrong spec'd spark plugs even though the guys at the autoparts store and Amazon swore up and down they were the right ones. Wasn't running right so brought it to the dealership who swore they were the right ones too.

Turns out they weren't for the turbo!

^^^^Jealousy is such an ugly thing....:rolleyes:

OK Mister Smartypants....quote me some damn Oingo Boingo lyrics....:p

Okers...

I feel it all around / I feel it in my bones

My life is on the line / When I'm away from home

When I step out the door / The jungle is alive

I do not trust my ears / I don't believe my eyes

I will not fall in love / I cannot risk the bet

Cause hearts are fragile toys / so easy to forget

It's just another day / There's murder in the air

It drags me when I walk / I smell it everywhere

It's just another day / Where people cling to light

To drive away the fear / That comes with every night

CHORUS

It's just another . . . . . . . It's just another day

It's just another . . . . . . . It's just another day . . .

It's just another day--When people wake from dreams

With voices in their ears--That will not go away

I had a dream last night / The world was set on fire

And everywhere I ran / There wasn't any water

The temperature increased / The sky was crimson red

The clouds turned into smoke / And everyone was dead

(but) There's a smile on my face . . . For everyone

There's a golden coin . . . That reflects the sun

There's a lonely place . . . That's always cold

There's a place in the stars . . . For when you get old

There's razors in my bed / That come out late at night

They always disappear / Before the morning light

I'm dreaming again / Of life underground

It doesn't ever move / It doesn't make a sound

And just when I think--That things are in their place

The heavens are secure--The whole thing explodes in my face

Love that song :)

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

Got the wrong spec'd spark plugs even though the guys at the autoparts store and Amazon swore up and down they were the right ones. Wasn't running right so brought it to the dealership who swore they were the right ones too.

Turns out they weren't for the turbo!

So this, but in reverse?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4493784&postcount=12

Yup! I've never been back to the dealership after that.

Wow. It really isn't hard to look up the correct plugs. Did they even ask for your VIN? While it annoys some customers, using the VIN almost always eliminates getting incorrect parts.

Archived