LegacyGT.com

What's your most embarrassing Legacy DIY mistake?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok...I'll fess up, I did that once too. But it was back in the late 70's on my Duster 340. Only took me about 3 qt's to realize something wasn't right.

i did that on an f250 dsl when i was still a green horn at the dlr. takes 15q climbed up on the engine with a 5qt container in each hand and filled er up. went for 5 more qts and noticed a VERY large puddle under the truck. :lol:

as a porter i went to pull an svt focus up in the staging area. figured i could leave the door open the have one foot out, jsut moving it up a bit... well i quickly had to deside weather to hit the brake clutch or gas with only one foot. lol

also wanging the corner of a car door into your face is not fun.

or walking through a lot and walking to a trailer hitch sticking out... that smarts.

- Got wheel lugs handtight with the car in the air. Forgot to tighten them down with the car on the ground. 1 mile into the test drive ... thunk, thunk, thunk. Hmm, that sounds like one of the damn wheels is loose. Oh shit! It is!

- Used an electric impact wrench to tighten down a strut top hat bolt (torque specs: about 22 ft lbs), figuring I'll stop it before it gets close to tight, right? Nope. Stripped the crap out of both the top hat stud and bolt on my brand new coilovers. Had to press out the ruined stud and replace it. Good thing I figured out how to use my vise to do that, because I definitely don't have a hydraulic press in my garage.

- Screwed up the aiming mechanism on my customized headlights. Need to bake it open to fix it. No idea how bad it is or whether I can even get any replacement parts.

I know there are more that will come to me later.

My worst so far is recent. Pulling the engine out to do the TOB I forgot to move the power steering pump, so it was chillin down on the exhaust manifold while I pulled the motor forward and up. The power streeing pump then proceeded to put a hole in my perfectly perfect AC condenser. $100 later I have a shitty looking one from the junkyard, but one that works. Oh well. Also I dropped the clutch disc and took a small chip out of it, no problems so far on that one haha

Changed spark plugs and forgot to plug the MAF back in when I re-installed the intake. My car idled like a Harley...

When my ScanGauge read IATs of -40F, that was a major tip-off, especially when the outside ambient temp is 100F

Cracked the housing on a gauge two days ago trying to fit it into an A pillar gauge pod. Probably still functions just fine and shouldn't be visible when installed, but dammit! Dremeled out the gauge pod just a tiny bit and now it fits perfectly. Of course. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Doing brakes i removed the wheel and rested it againts the wall. finished the brakes and couldnt find the wheel. Turns out the driveway was slanted and it rolled down the driveway across the street down the neighbors yard into their house..

just did a disc brake conversion on my 69 chevelle. new sway bars, bushings ect. took it for a test drive. all was going great until i turned left and the driver wheel fell off. in my excitement i forgot to tighten the lug nuts.

last night while pulling the ej25 from my legacy gt i spent 15mins trying to get the nut off of the stud holding the trans to the motor. finally stopped and tried my left hand and it came off easy. no clearance to get right hand in at that angle.

Reinstalled front bumper without connecting hot side Intercooler core pipe. Screwed up chrome ring on headlights when removing painters tape. Tightened the roof rack too tight and now i have marks by the doorframe. Cracked the A/C Condenser installing FMIC - The list goes on and on.

Being that I never worked on cars before my first legacy I have TONS of these:

Forgot to:

-Let the car cool off before driving 30 min for a stage 2 install. Heatshield was warm so i figured the rest was just warm. When i reached down to remove the lower bolts on the heatshield bracket, lost the skin on my hand before i could feel it :/

-Pump brakes after installing Brembos(rolling down drive way almost panicking that i was going to die...at 2 mph)

-Loosen brake lines BEFORE removing caliper from mounting knuckle. Spent 15 min trying to find a way to leverage that off.

-Move the drain pan from under the drain plug on oil pan to oil filter the first time I did an oil change..also again oil gets hot after driving for while(I might be retarded)

-Plug maf sensor in after maf cleaning(in my defense I was letting my filter dry for a bit and continued on the other 30k maintenance)

-Remove ALL TOOLS from engine bay, I would drive along with a screw driver or socket in the gap between the hood and the body panels only to open it up and see it waiting for me when I was checking the work I have done.

-Tighten lugs after dropping the car from jack stands.

-Ensure trunk is closed after cleaning interior of car BEFORE going into touchless car wash (it was a long interior detail and was running late)

-Wait till coolant is cool before removing radiator cap. (Fairly certain I eat lead paint as a kid cause I can't seem to grasp that a motor gets hot)

-Unplug battery before working on radio amp issues.(electrocuted my self when attaching a wire to the amp)

Things that I have learned since my first legacy:

Torque specs are your friend

Right tool for the job makes all the difference then half assing it

Read, read, prep, read then do it

Electricity hurts me

Cars get hot which also hurts me

Without this forum I would have most certainly died or fucked up my car. However after 5 stage 2 installs and countless maintenance and performance installs I can confidently say I do all of my own work.

The more I remember the more I will update

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

• Moderators
Being that I never worked on cars before my first legacy I have TONS of these:

Forgot to:

-Let the car cool off before driving 30 min for a stage 2 install. Heatshield was warm so i figured the rest was just warm. When i reached down to remove the lower bolts on the heatshield bracket, lost the skin on my hand before i could feel it :/

-Pump brakes after installing Brembos(rolling down drive way almost panicking that i was going to die...at 2 mph)

-Loosen brake lines BEFORE removing caliper from mounting knuckle. Spent 15 min trying to find a way to leverage that off.

-Move the drain pan from under the drain plug on oil pan to oil filter the first time I did an oil change..also again oil gets hot after driving for while(I might be retarded)

-Plug maf sensor in after maf cleaning(in my defense I was letting my filter dry for a bit and continued on the other 30k maintenance)

-Remove ALL TOOLS from engine bay, I would drive along with a screw driver or socket in the gap between the hood and the body panels only to open it up and see it waiting for me when I was checking the work I have done.

-Tighten lugs after dropping the car from jack stands.

-Ensure trunk is closed after cleaning interior of car BEFORE going into touchless car wash (it was a long interior detail and was running late)

-Wait till coolant is cool before removing radiator cap. (Fairly certain I eat lead paint as a kid cause I can't seem to grasp that a motor gets hot)

-Unplug battery before working on radio amp issues.(electrocuted my self when attaching a wire to the amp)

Things that I have learned since my first legacy:

Torque specs are your friend

Right tool for the job makes all the difference then half assing it

Read, read, prep, read then do it

Electricity hurts me

Cars get hot which also hurts me

Without this forum I would have most certainly died or fucked up my car. However after 5 stage 2 installs and countless maintenance and performance installs I can confidently say I do all of my own work.

The more I remember the more I will update

Funny stuff, can't believe you keep going back for more--good for you!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Was pointing out to my Dad all of the things I had done under the hood to get to Stage 3. After pretending to be mildly impressed he asked, "What're these for?" and held up a pair of wire strippers that had apparently fallen and gotten lodged between the fuel rail and the hood.

• I Donated

I do this like 50% of the time I work on my car. :lol:

All of my really embarrassing stuff happened on my first car (Infiniti G20). I did cut the bumper a bit too much when installing my FMIC on my LGT, though. Also have stripped a couple bolt holes, although luckily, no bolts have broken off in things like on my G20.

I'm just waiting until Hicksta finds this thread. :lol:

Reading these dont make me feel so bad anymore. Great confidence booster. Some of mine are...

So I have a catless downpipe(That will be important at the end of the story). And had purchased a CBE off ebay (cause it was cheap.. and I'm extremely cheap). Put the CBE on...started the car... and the exhaust was quieter than the stock system. Should of just listened to my gut and not got it. Saw a post on here where someone had gotten a exhaust custom made with "fart cans" from ebay and it sounded amazing! Thought to myself.. I can do that. Bought the cans... got really excited when they came. Took them to a few shops... only to get the answer that they wont even touch the car cause of the catless dp. Called about 10-12 shops around where I live and all got the same answer. One of them even told me that the exhaust was made out of aluminum. Not wanting to take the dp off and then put it back on again. I went to advance auto parts and purchased 2 90 degree elbows... and 6 exhaust clamps. Cut the flanges off the Y pipe... and fit the elbows on there. Bolted them down with the muffler clamps I got and all was good. Till the day I was driving down the road and one flew off the car. Funny part is I didnt even know till I went out to the car one day and saw one was missing.

Thinking hard brake lines are universal and not knowing whether the fitting nuts were metric or standard.. and double flares...bubble flares.. standard flares... red fittings... gold fittings... black fittings.

Exhaust and brake issues is what I have been mainly facing for the last few months. All to save a few dollars.

Did my plugs... When i started it up, it was fine, until you gave it some gas. The car was knock, bang, rattle, shake, etc. Scary noises!

After some mechanical trouble shooting and alot of stress, the next day, i finally realized that the 10mm socket that i lost earlier in the day was wedged between the up pipe and the frame. Oops .

Funny stuff, can't believe you keep going back for more--good for you!

Ha ha yeah I just like the satisfaction that comes after knowing exactly how to fix or troubleshoot anything that breaks.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

a bunch of hilarious screw ups

This is my new favorite post. The more I try to do stuff myself, the more I understand the value of experience. There is no substitute for having done it before. I'm starting to get good at strut swaps now that I've done it a few times.

Keep 'em coming all! This thread is great catharsis for my soul. Everybody say it with me ... "I'm not stupid, just inexperienced." :)

(Okay, sometimes I'm just stupid, but at least I'm not alone.)

Left a couple of tools under the hood before too, screwdriver being the common one LOL.

I was aiming my headlight one day after I finished putting my headlights back on the car.... a few minutes in, I noticed a burning smell reminiscent of a candle.

Thought to myself, wtf? I don't recall leaving any candles around here, thought nothing of it until it kept getting stronger.

Turns out I forgot that the foglights turn on with the low beams if the car isnt on, and one of the foglights burned a hole through my fender liner....lol (I was working with the bumper off, so the foglights were hanging from the harness)

100 bucks later I bought a new fender liner and a set of fog lightbulbs...

First time I did my suspension swap in my driveway, I lost a 19 mm box wrench. Just plain gone. Not on the driveway. Not in the grass. Couldn't find it in the engine bay. Or in the cabin.

Either it's on the highway. Or buried under a seat or some trim panel. Or somebody snagged it when I was inside for a potty break. Or the tool fairies stole it. How the **** do you completely lose a 19 mm box wrench out in front of your house in the driveway? It's not like it's a small tool. Probably left it hanging from one of the lower strut bolts and took it out for a test drive and it's been sitting in the gutter 2 blocks away for 8 months. Or I'll just end up finding it buried in my garage when I move.

Archived