LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree the gm computer is better than megasquirt.

But With the right person tuning megasquirt can get very close to drivability and definitely = total hp and make it just as fast on the 1/4 mile

They both look at parameters and do math. Might as well argue Mac vs pc

Hp tuners is most beneficial to people doing mass produced Boltons and get the flash related to what Boltons you have and finished. Drive the car away.

But this is a fwd engine going into a rwd car with a 5 speed auto

The gm ECM can't with out crazy modification control the 5eat

Megasquirt and megashift will allow any combination

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

A carburetor will make just as much HP, maybe even more, you should look into one ;)

The factory ECU can go into much more depth than you realize and give you better driveabillty.

It is your car, handle it how you want.

Like?

They are tuned for clean burn they run stoic pretty much all the time

So there is two things closed loop constant throttle and reving through acceleration enrichment. So the closed loop it's simple

The complicated is the a acceleration enrichment

And about two years ago megasquirt brought EAE Ehanced acceleration enrichment. Where it even takes amount of fuel stuck to intake runner walls as part of the calculation.

You don't realize the only limiting factor of both systems are the users

Any ways I want hp tuners for all my other cars where they only need 1 or 2 settings changed how much is it?

I am under the impression it costs about 2k and then about 200-1000$ per car I want to fiddle with

^ so you could, for free, tune his car, drive it around and tweak whatever parameters you like, as often as you like using a GM ECM??

I think that's what he's getting at. ;)

i can do that with my Grand Am which has a bunch of engine mods done to including a bigger cam,ported heads and manifolds,headers.

but i have DHP which the people behind that kinda up and gave up on it but for tuning it still get's the job done.

Hacked Subaru ECU will handle the emissions testing portion, leaving the actual fuel and spark to be handled by any non-OBD II controller. Putting an older engine in a newer car is illegal in Texas and perhaps in Quebec, so in this instance with any engine earlier than 2005 Series III it would be a waste of time to have OBD II compliance via the new engine's original computer. If there is an ECU fault, it won't be with the readiness monitors or engine codes. If no bueno, a cat in the exhaust can handle the sniffer, especially if the engine is running E85.

pretty sure that's like that across the whole country. you can put a newer engine into an older car but not the other way around. my modded GM ecu passes emissions just fine, they just like to bitch about the exhaust.

so last night i did a push to get some things fixed up,

i removed the subaru fuel pressure regulator since i have one on my fuel rail already,

as you can see in the pictures i also added a 1/4 air quick conect chuck, this is for refueling :p other cars or my motorcycle lawnmowers what ever. i have a hose with the mated fittings in the trunk so i can give some one fuel when ever needed :)

also i re ran my intake before it was jsut some thing i stuck together, but now i have my tig so i can weld aluminum again :D

tonight i will clean up the charge pipes and hope fully get my a/c connected again. i will run the intercooler charge pipes on the inside the frame rails. this does put the charge pipes in some what harms way, since there under the rad support. but if there nicely mounted should be fine ( i do lots of offroading).

what do you guys think about the quick fitting for fueling up ? :D

definitely ingenious and something I haven't seen. Would be a great plus if you did some serious offroading and came across a stranded Jeep. Not sure about day to day necessity, but then again if we only did what was necessary, we'd all be driving 3 cyl cars around :p

Interesting. I hope that the seals are resistant to gasoline and ethanol so it doesn't start to leak at the worst possible moment, can be awkward.

453747.png

yep mines a 99

the tuning software can read and write a bunch of other GM cars mostly the V6FWD ones. not the newer CAN stuff though.

Where do I get it how much? I need for the regal

if you gave a good tuner a megasquirt and a motec and had them tune the same car with both, which would have the better tune?

FYI, the capabilities of a motec are on the same level if not past that of a factory ECU.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

if you gave a good tuner a megasquirt and a motec and had them tune the same car with both, which would have the better tune?

FYI, the capabilities of a motec are on the same level if not past that of a factory ECU.

You would never know the difference

A few cars I did you could not tell they were not factory

Started perfect never stalled never hesitated.

jsut changed a ball joint, and made some inserts for the mufflers, living in a residential area now. the car was quiet while driving but loud at idle.

now its insanly quiet. wot in down town is not a problem,

I occasionally wish my car was quieter. Like when my brother took it to the store today, and I could hear it through the entire apartment in front of ours, and all the down our street...

Of course, then I walk around it while it's idling and listen to that godd### sexy-ass cam lope...lol

And I did undersell the DHP software. You can get the same results as HPTuners, it's just that the interface is a pain in the ass. I tried it out, but I screwed things up and finally flashed it back to stock and sold the adapter. When HPTuners finally cracked the 98 PAU PCM, I was first in line. Had one little hang-up with torque management sending the trans into max-line-pressure, but Dyno Bryan and Todd Allen at Intense figured out what was interfering and got it set straight.

Where do I get it how much? I need for the regal

that's the only problem with DHP you have to find someone that's selling there old stuff as in they moved on to something else.

unfortunately they stopped making the DHP units a few years ago so the only time you see one for sale is when someone sells there unit.

i haven't seen any for sale on the forums i'm on but the grand prix forums might be a better place to look.

Series 2 :). I did some math, and I see this is a bad choice for 1000hp :lol: I guess better than anything else that will fit though...

To get 800hp, I'm seeing 35 psi and 92 lbs/minute air. 5eat will easily eat up 20-25% of that, except maybe in 4th locked up converter. Yeah it will do it, but 35r and 4088r are both way too small... So worried about drivability going down the tubes with a 42r or 45r turbo. Obviously I wouldn't buy Garrett, just using them as easy points of reference.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

holset hx 40

but the thing you need to realize the driveability won't be bad with a large turbo, the series 2 with heads and cam will make like 250 hp out of boost. so simply flooring it at idle will be the same as boost launching a stock lgt.

Edited by frank_ster

Alright, but HX40 is too small for this target. Unless I am off by a mile (remember Texas doesn't do that cold dense air thing so much :lol:) it would have to be HX55, which actually looks about perfect. Wonder how it will spool though... Probably not very well :(
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]