LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

The 3.8 Buick is the better performance motor hands down from nearly every perspective, and the block isn't considered a throw away due to the common occurance of stripped threads when rebuild time comes around.

But DOHC V8 is just SEXY! N* would still be my choice.

Do you happen to have a link to any info on the roots STI? I would LOVE to see anything I can on this.

Hey Frank I looked through your thread again trying to find info on your switched RWD/4WD setup on the transmission but i can't seem to find it, how did you get this done?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rwd/4wd is done be removign the center differential planets. and then welding intermediate shaft and output shafts together.

so shafts that were striped from center diffrential blow-up-age are perfect for this.

with the shafts welded together the power all goes to the rear the center diff clutch ( still there) will transfer power to the front wheels. either automatically if you leave the stock control or with on-off-auto switch.

i have the welded shaft done already i just need to stick it in . so this has not been done yet. but i can't wait to do it!

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Guy horribly took apart his turbo setup and tried to install a roots style blower. He had no clue whatsoever and it never worked. All the weld were crap. He destroyed a turbo to make his exhaust. Still had upPipe and downpipe and part of the hotside of a turbo, but no moving parts.

It probably made more power with just a throttle body than it did with the blower hooked up.

I had the privilege to see it firsthand. Very, very special.

Edited by mwiener2

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

i'm suprised not more people are interested i nthe rwd/4wd conversion. i think it would be a very good upgrade. can play with the rwd guys in parking lots and such :)

• 3 weeks later...

^ haha , well climber d drove my car today! , i had a little ignition dampness problem ie vr sensor wires near hall crank sensor wire.

other than that its daily driven in traffic pulling trailers. i'm averaging about 400 km per tank ( 250 miles for you mericans ) so 250 /13 gallons is 19 mpg and its driven properly!

The 3.8 Buckaru is not what you might expect. Drives like a normal car, though makes a different sound than the 2.5 Subaru. When turning, the weight up front was a bit more noticeable than the stock 2.5i, but they each have a different suspension, so not a fair comparison. My car hasn't had stock suspension for a long while, but my suspension compared to the stock suspension of the Buckaru was only a little different in perception of weight difference. The stock rear sway bar is enough to make things feel different. Overall I was relieved to feel that the weight difference was not a big deal. So far so good. The Buckaru has a little more wheel gap in the front fender than the rear, so it sits like stock. This is amazing to me. You could look at it and never have any idea.

Power. Right now it sits at 5psi with a compression ratio suited for FI. Power was good, probably like a 16G. Once that holset HX35 is pumping at 20psi, it will be a serious player for sure, and at a tiny fraction of the cost of a reliable 2.5L with GT35r turbo, which will probably be the equivalent in output. The high stall converter allows the revs to jump right to 2900rpm. Boost in 2nd is at 5psi by 3000rpm, so driveability is no problem, unlike with the 2.5gt.

It was really cool to see Frank mess with the MegaSquirt tuning on the laptop. He could get it to hit 5psi in neutral by having the timing set to retard A LOT at 3000rpm, which would make the EGTs high, thus helping spool the turbo.

I'm sure I left out something. Overall I am very impressed by the GM engine in a LGT.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

fyi the fuel pump speed modulator controls the ground of the fuel pump ..

and the relay controls the positive.

so if you want your pump to run at speed all the time simply ground the negitive of the pump.

fyi the fuel pump speed modulator controls the ground of the fuel pump ..

and the relay controls the positive.

so if you want your pump to run at speed all the time simply ground the negitive of the pump.

Good to know :)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...
It has potential, a bucket of paint or so...

But it's not extending the stock scoop, so it's a bit obvious.

A L88 scoop could also have been "interesting", at least it would catch attention.

its not extending the stock scoop ? but it is .. it looks weird because its not the same color

whats a L88 scoop ?

so did you cut a hole in front of the stock scoop so there is an opening above the intake manifold?

the intake was itself was sticking out of the hood through the stock hole. by about an inch.