LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

well i say its the cam more than the heads . i'm making 360 hp on 5 lbs boost !

the cool thing about turbo cars as the boost increases the density of the air just gets higher, and not air flow speed. mine will make pretty darn near 600 hp on 21 psi. on stock heads.

That's with a much different motor from the Series 2, though, Frank_ster. The S2 L67 heads are very restrictive, and also suffer from having rough castings. The ports are usually poorly matched to the LIM ports. Port-matching and polishing can make a HUGE difference in air flow and in air-charge temperatures. As well, if you stay with the supercharger, port-matching the supercharger throat to the throttle-body, and polishing the throat reduces hot-spots, especially by reshaping the area around the bypass valve, and the outlet into the LIM.

Also, the Stage 3 heads have modified the spring-perches to allow for higher lifts, such as using 1.6:1 roller rockers with the Stage 3 cam. Normal heads would have clearance issues with that combination.

I'll try to find some pictures of some porting jobs from PontiacBonnevilleClub.com and post them up later tonight.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankster, yes MegaSquirt is a strong contender. I can't imagine needing something else unless I find a better interface, which would be a challenge. Considering the stock PCM as well. But I don't know much about it yet. Live tuning is a must.

I've known the guys at Intense for almost seven years now, and every time the subject comes up, they say the same thing; There's no point using a stand-alone on an S2/S3 3800. The stock PCM is just better.

Considering that these guys built three overall-world-record 3800s, and the RWD 3800 record holder, I pretty much take their word as gospel. (and yes, that means the RWD 3800 record holder is slower than the FWD 3800 record holder...)

In fact, I don't think any of the Top 25 fastest 3800s is using anything other than the stock PCM and ignition, outside of adding a timing commander and reflashing with HPTuners. (Or DHP, but their software is a complete kludge, and neither Intense nor ZZP will touch them.)

Sorry for the double-post.

But running a gm computer in a Subaru car. And the cost of the hp tuners or what ever to play with the stock fm ECM completely counts it out.

Megasquirt will make just as much power and just as driveable.

And tuning for hp is way easier than tuning for drivability.

Low end acceleration enrichments and tuning are a pita untill one gets a hang of it

But mine runs as good as stock no lil hiccups

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

That's with a much different motor from the Series 2, though, Frank_ster. The S2 L67 heads are very restrictive, and also suffer from having rough castings. The ports are usually poorly matched to the LIM ports. Port-matching and polishing can make a HUGE difference in air flow and in air-charge temperatures. As well, if you stay with the supercharger, port-matching the supercharger throat to the throttle-body, and polishing the throat reduces hot-spots, especially by reshaping the area around the bypass valve, and the outlet into the LIM.

Also, the Stage 3 heads have modified the spring-perches to allow for higher lifts, such as using 1.6:1 roller rockers with the Stage 3 cam. Normal heads would have clearance issues with that combination.

I'll try to find some pictures of some porting jobs from

PontiacBonnevilleClub.com and post them up later tonight.

So Dave your probable better off with a old school 3.8 like mine thestock heads will take .600" lift cam and the stock rods are good for 750 hp.

So just needs pistons and mls gaskets and away you go

There is no way that MegaSquirt is as effective as the GM ECU.

in what way ? for error trapping ? no .. for limp home no ..

for total hp, torque, engine response, fuel economy .. sure why not ?

there both limited to what they are programmed !

would you agree that a megasquirt on a dyno at 5000 rpm can give a steady air fuel ratio ?

@ 6000 ?

@ idle ?

can a megasquirt interpret a wide band airfuel or narrow sensor ?

can a megasquirt look at info from a afr sensor and then make adjsutments ?

at the refresh rate that exceeds the response of any 02 sensor ? yes

can megasquirt tell a coil pack to run what ever timming ? yes

can megasquirt run 8 coil on plugs sequentially ? yes

8 injectors sequentially ? yes

yes the gm computer has 10 million dollars of r&d into it.

and megasquirt has several thousand. but the in the hands of the right person the megasquirt is endless.

the gm computer your stuck to having to buy hp tuners at several $$$$

and still not be able to change your engine configuration in the matter of minuets

Not exactly, and it will not support a raised idle with AC, but enjoy the Megasquirt.

yes .. it will .. ms2 runs gm stpper iac .. and it easily does idle up for ac and or power steering.

Frank_ster, some very basic questions:

Is your idle controlled by the Subaru ECU and DBW throttle body? Any shot at getting cruise to work as is?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yep dbw

Two choices mimic the cam signal of the drivers side cam

Or use the 2.5 ECM and under hood harness. Re connect the maf map coolant temp crank sensors disable trouble codes for the rest and should be good to go

I'm starting to wonder if you should have used a H6 equipped car instead, then the ECU would have worked for more functions on your engine - like controlling the injectors and ignition.

Of course - it would have needed a remap, but there are people that has hacked that ECU for turbo use, see eggenfellneraircraft.

453747.png

But running a gm computer in a Subaru car. And the cost of the hp tuners or what ever to play with the stock fm ECM completely counts it out.

Megasquirt will make just as much power and just as driveable.

And tuning for hp is way easier than tuning for drivability.

Low end acceleration enrichments and tuning are a pita untill one gets a hang of it

But mine runs as good as stock no lil hiccups

There are zero drivability issues with using a re-flashed PCM. Trust me, my Park Avenue Ultra was the first PA to get the treatment when HPTuners finally cracked the PA. Other than a hard-shift issue that was quickly dealt with, I've never had a single driveability issue. I've even autocrossed it before, and aside from the fact that it's like an elephant tap-dancing, I had no problems. Area under the curve is HUGE. It's not just a drag-racer.

BTW, can MegaSquirt detect if the IAT, MAP, MAF, or several other sensors are reading faulty, and ignore them if they are? The GM PCM will ignore certain sensors if their readings don't reconcile with the O2 readings.

Climber_D, before you spend any money, go to 3800Pro and look through the Tuning/PCM section, and through the motor-swap section. There are people there that know a hell of a lot more about tuning the L67 than anyone here does.

Yes as you said the gm computer is perfect for drivability

Same as the stock Subaru ECM

But your not getting the point!

They are keeping the gm ECM in the gm car

Like keeping the Subaru ECM in a Subaru car

I would not put megasquirt into a lgt 2.5 because it's possible to tune the ECM

For my moms regal gs if I were to change the pulley and put headders I would have some one flash the ECM with hp tuners and be done with it

But this is not the same !!! It's going to be mated to a 5 speed auto

Wiring is going to have to be done either way

Tell me I have a 3800 series 2 and the computer and harness for it

So what do I have to do to do a modification?

I am under the influence that I need to take it to some one with hp tuners

Then have them make the change

Then I want to up the boost

Hp tuners would have to make the change ?

Megasquirt has come a long way

I have it set so if the mat comes off open or closed circuit it goes to room temperature so the car can be driven

Same as coolant sensor

As I said before the megasquirt is limited to it's programming

And it's limit to programming consist of me going to msefi forum and saying can I have this feature and 2 hours later they send me a new program

Megasquirt is not or everyone not for my mom

But I'm sure climber d like me wants to be able to tinker with boost timing launch control as he wishes.

And now megasquirt also supports flex fuel sensors so it will automatically adjust to what ever fuel you put into the car

I'm starting to wonder if you should have used a H6 equipped car instead, then the ECU would have worked for more functions on your engine - like controlling the injectors and ignition.

Of course - it would have needed a remap, but there are people that has hacked that ECU for turbo use, see eggenfellneraircraft.

yes i was thinking of doing it that way too. but i got no computer .. no harness would have to go to the sealer to set up the key antitheft stuff ..and still not have live tuning.

and having to do hacks for launch control and still not be able to tune the tcu.

so last night i did a push to get some things fixed up,

i removed the subaru fuel pressure regulator since i have one on my fuel rail already,

as you can see in the pictures i also added a 1/4 air quick conect chuck, this is for refueling :p other cars or my motorcycle lawnmowers what ever. i have a hose with the mated fittings in the trunk so i can give some one fuel when ever needed :)

also i re ran my intake before it was jsut some thing i stuck together, but now i have my tig so i can weld aluminum again :D

tonight i will clean up the charge pipes and hope fully get my a/c connected again. i will run the intercooler charge pipes on the inside the frame rails. this does put the charge pipes in some what harms way, since there under the rad support. but if there nicely mounted should be fine ( i do lots of offroading).

IMG_1036.thumb.jpg.a4060b26cf6f1219caf6675bf6e2a4c7.jpg

IMG_1037.thumb.jpg.aafda8f23cb28bee0c14b93b58a0b150.jpg

IMG_1038.thumb.jpg.48fa5939d434f2b0a02f5fa74d49285d.jpg

IMG_1039.thumb.jpg.05e25989cbf81e503d8cc2ef55baaafc.jpg

IMG_1040.thumb.jpg.53e634aa6da585d482c8b77237738525.jpg

Hacked Subaru ECU will handle the emissions testing portion, leaving the actual fuel and spark to be handled by any non-OBD II controller. Putting an older engine in a newer car is illegal in Texas and perhaps in Quebec, so in this instance with any engine earlier than 2005 Series III it would be a waste of time to have OBD II compliance via the new engine's original computer. If there is an ECU fault, it won't be with the readiness monitors or engine codes. If no bueno, a cat in the exhaust can handle the sniffer, especially if the engine is running E85.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]