LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

installing hex mod valve body right now :)

jsut waiting for oil to drain , i hate oil runningdown my arm to my armpits then down into my under wear :mad:

IMG_1029.thumb.jpg.ad1c5e752e8449cace1402096b80a7a2.jpg

IMG_1030.thumb.jpg.f00881775d7992efa30ff35f7c289fd1.jpg

IMG_1031.thumb.jpg.547073c4fe9ed3f9a629be8bc8f6dd73.jpg

IMG_1034.thumb.jpg.3c6d8796b673a902a4ba543482a92320.jpg

IMG_1035.thumb.jpg.fa6c2f0dfddaf5c0c8aa3fc338bd9e47.jpg

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the pic at first and thought "WOW that's a big ole filter under there" then I laughed. I lapsed for a sec and forgot that aint no 2.5 :lol:

And are you sure you should be towing with that thing... can it really handle the loads ;)

Never understood why mfgrs didn't put a drain plug on the tranny pan to drain the fluid. Guess they just figured, you got to take it off to change the filter or service the shift pack, so just tough it out and do it.

BTW Frank_ster, when I saw all of the tagging, I thought I was back in Cali... What's up with that?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Never understood why mfgrs didn't put a drain plug on the tranny pan to drain the fluid. Guess they just figured, you got to take it off to change the filter or service the shift pack, so just tough it out and do it.

Liability, probably. Quick lube places would drain the transmission and overfill the engine. To the general public, the possibility of this happening implies a design flaw.

The older VW automatics were entirely sealed and non-serviceable. Imagine that for a PITA!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Liability, probably. Quick lube places would drain the transmission and overfill the engine. To the general public, the possibility of this happening implies a design flaw.

Knew there had to be a good reason...:spin:

The older VW automatics were entirely sealed and non-serviceable. Imagine that for a PITA!

Yeah - that would PMTHO.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

it has a drain .. gm's don't most jap stuff does..

the shift kit is finished installed already .. was running through the gears already , just need to get some more oil .. put 6 L in it already .. the pump is still making some noise..

I'm officially 100% decided on this path, 3800 Series II engine baby!!! Been reading a lot about it... it's not going to be nearly as cheap for me as Frankster has accomplished it, but I'll still save cash where I can. Long blocks are still out there with <50k miles. Hoping to run a used one straight out of the box for a while just to get the ball rolling. The real money is in the proper hone, pistons, possibly turning the crank, new rods if it doesn't have the strongest ones stock, cam, gaskets, etc. But all that is a waste when running <400-500hp. With the 8.5:1 pistons in the L67 block and a very clean tune, it'll walk all over the EJ25. Part for part, 3800 is a lot cheaper :)

It's also a good goal, to save up the cash to do this. Going to take me a while, and will be further delayed by the guilt of spending that money on the engine vs other more important things, which I presently skirt by with a turbo here and a pump there...

Hopefully I'll still then have a healthy, low mileage EJ255 to sell to pay for the V6 upgrades or oops fund, once the time comes. Don't hold your breath.

Going to sell all my extra EJ25 stuff that's taking up space and hogging capital :D

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

i wouldn't worrie about a high millage engine, mine only has i think 250 000 milles on it originally, so that just broken in for a buick. pick up an engine for 200$ throw it in there make it work .. blow it up :) if you can ! then in rev 2 you can do all the fine details.

megasquirt ? i also ordered a 2.5i computer it came in today to my us address, i'll have to wait untill monday to see if it can make it work. was like 80$ from TEXAS :p

I looked at the pic at first and thought "WOW that's a big ole filter under there" then I laughed. I lapsed for a sec and forgot that aint no 2.5 :lol:

And are you sure you should be towing with that thing... can it really handle the loads ;)

you can get big oil filters for the 2.5 if u want .. i was just lookin on the shelfs matching thread and size a found a few good sized filters. my lawnmower has twice the size oil filter as the stock 2.5 turbo one! :spin:

so took her to the drags..

with 6 lbs boost. and the trunk full of junk

1.87 sec 60'

8.757 1/8 mile

13.80 1/4mile @ 97 mph

spotted this at a meet, similar project... this legacy got a GN 3.8, with the turbo off a cummins diesel, and it's still AWD, pretty wicked if u ask me. unfortunately ive got no specs or numbers :(

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy324/davebloo/wm_normal_od0102_556941.jpg

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy324/davebloo/wm_normal_od0081_337753.jpg

Edited by subarulegay

I'm officially 100% decided on this path, 3800 Series II engine baby!!! Been reading a lot about it...

.....Going to sell all my extra EJ25 stuff that's taking up space and hogging capital :D

If I might suggest signing up over at http://www.3800Pro.com? They have a section specifically for RWD engine swaps. They've been a great help with modifying my Park Avenue.

For parts:

http://www.intense-racing.com

http://www.zzperformance.com

As for the build: If you're going for 400-500hp, you're going to want to get some of Intense's forged pistons, with the matching rods. That's going to mean having the crank re-balanced. You're going to have to either go with Stage3 heads, or do your own porting. For that kind of power, I'd recommend going to a turbo with the Intense Stage 3 turbo cam. Don't bother thinking about twins, there's no benefit to be had at that power level.

Finally, I'd either see if the 4L60E with the 60*V6 bell housing will fit in the Subaru, or the T56 if you want a stick. The Subaru trans may run into problems when you start feeding 700+ ft-lbs through it, as you could be at 600hp with a Series2.

For all the smaller details, between this place and 3800Pro, you should be able to work out any problems fairly easily.

Indeed. I have an extra 5eat just in case, and a third as a donor to replace broken parts, though nothing has ever broken except from installer error during trans swaps :)

Apparently 3800 heads arent as high flowing as Subaru heads? As there appears to be zero benefit to porting EJ25 heads, except to make the ladies want to sleep with you :(...:)

It's still a ways off. I need a few more checks next to major work projects before I can do anything car related to this level.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

well i say its the cam more than the heads . i'm making 360 hp on 5 lbs boost !

the cool thing about turbo cars as the boost increases the density of the air just gets higher, and not air flow speed. mine will make pretty darn near 600 hp on 21 psi. on stock heads.

Crank or brake?

Reading Phil@ElementTuning's posts about head work have changed my opinion tremendously. I cannot see a reason to go bigger exhaust valves, and the intake valves appear to be pretty big as is. Which leaves the cam, springs, rockers. I don't know much about any of these things. Just that you want the minimum spring that will avoid bind and float. Many cams appear to to have under-published data specs in the 3800 aftermarket, which is frustrating. "This stage 2 turbo cam is what we run on our drag car... So don't ask questions and just buy it.". At least they're all cheap. Subaru cams are impossibly expensive by comparison, probably because you need 4 of them, and they don't sell in great quantity like 3800 stuff does.

But I digress, this is all just fun small talk for me now, as I do not have the time or means this summer or fall to do an engine swap.

Frankster, yes MegaSquirt is a strong contender. I can't imagine needing something else unless I find a better interface, which would be a challenge. Considering the stock PCM as well. But I don't know much about it yet. Live tuning is a must.

Did you get the 2.5i ECU in yet?

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods