LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

Enjoy winter. It's 94*F here now. Right now.

its a beautifull 85 deg f here , couldn't be nicer weather.

Brand COMP Cams

Manufacturer's Part Number 69-300-8

Part Type Camshafts

Product Line COMP Cams High Energy Camshafts

Summit Racing Part Number CCA-69-300-8

UPC 036584063643

Cam Style Hydraulic roller tappet

Basic Operating RPM Range 1,200-5,800

Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 212

Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 212

Duration at 050 inch Lift 212 int./212 exh.

Advertised Intake Duration 264

Advertised Exhaust Duration 264

Advertised Duration 264 int./264 exh.

Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.504 in.

Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.504 in.

Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.504 int./0.504 exh.

Lobe Separation (degrees) 110

Computer-Controlled Compatible No

Grind Number 264HR

i think this is the cam.. summit didn't keep my old order history.

i remember is was slightly over .500 lift and it had zero valve overlap.

i seem to remember 114 lobe separation tho.

i'll do some more digging.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no value to adding more lobe separation than 110 on this specific cam. That looks like an excellent cam! Especially for daily driving. You have to swap out more valve train parts on a series II/III than on a GN, but then >.5" lift is no problem :) Did you pick those durations because you wanted it to be more street-able, or because there isn't much of a higher duration selection? Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

well wanted zero valve overlap. and its huge compared to the stock cam that came with my engine. ( that still made 450-500 hp @ 19 lbs boost )

a lot of the grand nationals running 10's are running stock cams and this is slightly bigger than that.

i have stock valve train components other than some 100# valve springs.

and there a different length push rods than stock ( my rockers are not adjustable ) so i just got push rods to fit. i just measured and ordered from summit.( hydraulic lifters take make it auto adjust.

Just talked with my local state inspection guy. He says I could have a tricycle motor under the hood, or a 3800 with big turbo, and it would pass as long as all the body equipment was in good shape, and all the OBD-II info came up as working properly as a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. Apparently questionable engine swaps masked by hacked OEM ECUs are not common enough to warrant any Texas DPS control procedure, other than to say in their large list of published requirement that an older engine swap is illegal. It would require the most attentive and comprehensive mechanic to catch and report many of these issues we worry about, and really all this guy is after is to complete the state Y/N checklist (stock engine not a question), and computer scan so he can make his $40 revenue and get back to oil changes and exhaust welding. So getting the car in trouble with Texas is of very low concern to me now, especially since it's stock exterior and not obviously loud anymore.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

found this thread about the holset hx 35w.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/120686-holset-turbo-specs-hy-hx-h1c-wh1c-h1e-wh1e.html

" the potential of 60lb/min. But many have logged over 50lb/min so far and seen 500whp. The stock hx35 12cm^2 twinscroll turbine housing is a t3 flange housing. This mated to a NON-divided runner manifold has produced a 132mph trap speed with a full weight 1g AWD. This is about 600whp. "

the difference being lower boost and more flow on the 3.8 L v6 engines. but insanely fast spool. :D

Took a break, and found measurements from 3800pro.com (which I cannot link to because that site is blocked on my work computer, which I am on :))

3800 v6

total length ~22inches

Small Block Chevy and LS, add 6+"

http://paceperformance.com/p-3990-engine-dimensions.html

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/pdf/CrateEngineQRC2008.pdf

Weight figures are all over the place, but the rough internet 'scatter plot' would indicate a marginal increase in weight of LS_ over 3800 v6. Could be +40lbs +/-30ish

You could potentially put a V8 in by

a) possibly doing some fab work / clearancing on the engine crossmember to lower the engine/transmission (not done on your v6 swap), requires modifying torque converter (again you did) or RE5R05A converter swap

b) slide trans back a little (done for your V6 swap

c) remove radiator & supports (will take some creativity to cool it) (only moved forward, new bars welded on for your v6 swap)

You will get to keep your bumper beam, if you want it...

Edit: I can very easily see V8 chatter mucking up this thread, only posted it for a point of reference to the 3.8/3800 iron V6. If people want to talk swapping V8s, definitely open new thread, as I haven't completely ruled that out yet.

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods

:p well i took my 3.8 because i can make as much power as an ls series motor.

the tranny is maybe slid about 1/4" on mine. i didn't even mod the tranny mounts.

v8 conversion while maintaining aircondition and streetability eeh. if its n/a motor it would make things easier no need for the piping and intercooler.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank why not use this to fake a Subaru tach and or cam sensor signal?

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=127/category_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd127.htm

Or have MS do it?

that box will simply do a % change to the speed output. as megasquirt can do.

what i need is a uneven pulse since the cam has 3 notches in it. at 0 90 and 180 deg. so this translates to 0 45 and 90 deg of crank rotation and then nothing for 270 then start over again. i'm sure the 2.5i computer swap would work fine for this. it jsut appears that 5 wires need to be moved in-order for the 2.5i ecm to power up and work.

i am wondering if i can do this with in the 2.5i ecm so i don't need to alter my harness.

Everytime I read posts under this thread it makes me miss my 98 Grand Prix GTP. Stupid torque everywhere, and the whine of a blower is just way more threatening than a turbo whistle.

3.3in pulley, SLP headers, SLP cat back, 1.95 Roller Rockers, 4in FWI, Corvette front brakes, ZZP shift kit, Dyno Tune. 240whp, 280wtq. Easy power for little work. Always wanted to go full core intercooler, meth injection, XP hot cam.

Obviusly you know what your doing with this build, but if you ever have questions regarding anything 3800 series contact www.zzperformance.com and wbodystore.com

^ yep ..

but i just drive around teasing the gtp and regal gs guys :)

and my turbo is very very loud, people can hear me from 3 blocks away.

also there is almost nothing compatible from the 3800 engines to my 3.8

and i purchased some injectors from zzp couple weeks ago . those and pistons are the only things that are compatible.

Edited by frank_ster

Everytime I read posts under this thread it makes me miss my 98 Grand Prix GTP. Stupid torque everywhere, and the whine of a blower is just way more threatening than a turbo whistle.

You've got the rose colored glasses on, everything looks better in retrospect! I had a 98 Regal GS with a few mods myself.

The drivetrain on those cars were solid. And the instant tourque was nice. My Regal was loaded and very nice to drive.

On the other hand don't forget the downsides of the W-Body. Handling sucks and there isn't much to do about it. I had GR-2s and the police bars and my Regal was still a boat. A friend had the GMPP suspension kit on his 01 GTP SE, more sporty but still a pig. The chassis dates back to the GM10 from 88. And its FWD. The more power you add, the less traction you have. It can be made to drag race if you like that sort of thing, but as a driver on the street it just works the front tires way too much, not a very balanced car.

Don't get me wrong, I still remember my turbo and supercharged Buicks fondly, they were nice cars.

frank_ster I think you have a nice combo of engine and chassis going on with the swap.

I've always wanted a late 80's regals, and also 90's Regal GS or an STS, mostly for the engines.

The Aurora has the Northstar All aluminum DOHC and a shorter V6 rather than the STS V8, I wonder how well that would fit in one of these =) If my car wasn't so expensice and my daily driver, I may be able to convince myself to try it out instead of my next project.

Yea another hard to find expensive engine with almost zero performance parts available

They are everywhere at local junk yards, but performance parts would probably be expensive. I've only really researched the V8 but I think you can get whatever you want for the V6 from chrfab. This is also a good place to mention expensive custom domestic engine work usually costs about as much as most Subaru aftermarket parts.

Actually, you could go higher with the old turbo 3.8 block...

There's a reason Northstar and shortstar motors are so common in junkyards. Unfortunately, they have a relatively short lifespan. 120k and they're ragged out. Plus, the real power potential for the block is fairly low compared to the old 3.8 or the Series 2/3.

so two more days and i'll be back home from brazil :)

gonna throw in those nice 65# injectors :D

i'm curious to see the limit of the stock fuel pump.

i'll put the boost up to 10 psi then swap in my warbro 255 pump.

then drags for tuning :)