LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

Well Frank_ster this is looking a lot more appealing the more I look at it. Starting all over with the learning curve regarding the 3800 Series II. Now I have no idea what to do with regards to where to stop with my healthy EJ25 and where to eventually pick this up...
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zzperformance.com

ZZP makes good parts, but their customer service has been a major problem for a lot of people over the years. Not to mention the owner has shown some pretty poor behavior on a few forums towards his rival, http://www.intense-racing.com

Personally, I recommend Intense over ZZP, except that they don't offer an actual turbo header or kit, and they don't have an intercooler plate at the moment. Aside from that, I recommend their parts over ZZP, especially their transmission parts, since Intense was involved with GMPP in designing the hardened input shaft and other parts for the 4T65E-HD for GM's EcoTec racing programs, as well as GM's 200mph FWD Bonneville Salt Lake car.

The bigger advantage to going with Intense is the customer service. They've always responded promptly, and been good about dealing with warranty and install issues. The company recently changed hands, but the new owner has the same commitment to quality and customer service that the old owner did.

Thinking of buying a Series II or III longblock, and running it with stock everything for a while... would sell my healthy stock EJ255 to pay for the swap. Would you prefer I start a new thread, or plug it all into this one? Lots of details to get into...
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

i guess it can stay here..

as for engine selection there are pros and cons to using the 3800 series.

1. headers are slightly different than mine.

2. the front pulley is about 1" longer due to rubber coupling. aftermarket solution ?

3. plastic intake manifold on n/a motors and hood clearance.

few issues remaining, factory subaru ecm needing at least one cam sync sensor to get rid of the cel and cruise light flashing.

or go complete standalone with touch screen or laptop dashbord. i think i will go this path. use a micro laptop and remove the screen and place it in the dash board.

the megasquirt tuner studio customizable dashboards are pretty nice and are ever evolving.

http://www.deskbreaker.com/wiglaf/e30/ms/screenshot.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/mrvivn.jpg

http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/images/analog.png

drive by wire possible megasquirt circuit for cruse control

or throttle cable and aftermarket cruse ?

ability for fuel gage input very simple to do.

display trans temperature

current gear

tune on the fly,

megashift tranny controller or stay stock .

Edited by frank_ster

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Headers can be custom made here.

Pulley, ATI super damper is the same design. But I could machine a different application pulley to bolt on...

A lot of the OEM intake manifolds on eBay are aluminum, and then Doorman appears plastic. Are these too tall (the whole point is a lower engine), and is plastic a no-go for boost? Works so well for LGT, being plastic intake manifold, but ours is small and thick...

plastic is fine for boost ,

the crank center line is actually almost 1" lower on my 3.8 than the stock subaru, the limiting factor was the threaded bungs on the torque converter, so i simply cut mine off and then welded nuts to the front of the torque at the same pattern as a stock gm.

the stock gm flywheel i cut the starting ring off it also to be able to lower the engine as much as possible.

if you were to use the supercharged l67 engine and then made small low profile intake to bolt in place of the supercharger i think you would be able to clear the stock hood. but with this there may be slightly less efficient intake system than the factory long intake runners.

Edited by frank_ster

I thought of a solution for fooling the stock ECU's cam sensor input. Literally put the cam sensors and perhaps crank sensor if sync between the three is needed, on a new accessory wheel, or add to an existing one like power steering or alternator. If an entirely new accessory position, then get a longer accessory belt. Perhaps hack up some random accessory lying around. Just some thoughts...

What does the torque converter have to do with lowering the engine? Was the housing or converter contacting the engine mounting crossmember? Did you lower the trans rear crossmember and front pitch stopper? Any room to slide the trans back 1 inch? Would be very easy to do if driveshaft can accommodate.

the torque converter is actualy the limiting factor about lowering the engine. the bellhousing is actually cut out under the bellhousing. my torque converter is about 1/2" away from the cross member now and with those bungs that were about 5/8" increase in radius of the torque thats why i deleted them.

the rear of the tranny is stock and currently the tranny is about 1/2" further back than normal.

If you can get your hands on a RE5R05A Nissan 350Z / G35 torque converter, they appear in some pics I've seen that they may not be as large in diameter as the 5EAT. 5EAT engineering challenge was of course to mush the front axles/diff as far forward as possible, which meant a skinny torque converter. Nissan had opposite goal, to shift weight as far back as possibly, so the torque converter might be less diameter and thicker... and would probably adapt to the Subaru cylinder that plugs it into the transmission, connected with that little cir clip...

RE5R05A

http://shop.ptptrans.com/RE5R05A-TORQUE-CONVERTER-TCDA57.htm

TC Diameter: 10.75"

Bolt circle: 9.75"

5EAT

http://www.gopnh.com/Transmissions.cfm?Transmission=%205EAT

TC Diameter: 11"

Bolt circle: 11.75"

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods

imagine if you put a stock vf40 on a 3.8 L v6 ! talk about instant response !

yeah and choke after 3500rpms...

The JDM VF twinscroll guys are getting instant response with stage 2 setups...

I was reading about what size turbo to go with for the 3.8 / 3800. GT35r being on the more all-around end, GT40r being better for some good power without having to shift to high RPMs, generally speaking...

And a 40r on a LGT spools never, while a GT35r is almost useless until 45mph, and then you need 4500+ rpm to get moving, depending on gear... oh displacement...

turbo is the replacement for displacement ! get holset hx 35w or hx 40 for big end powa !

holset turbo's are the utmost best quality and large efficiency islands! :D

At 5,500' ASL we can spool a 35r around 4200rpm with E85 and power climbs to redline. At sea level, sub 4000rpm should be possible and with a proper sized wastegate, power should still climb or at worst, plateau.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Alright Frankster, I'll go along with the Holset hx35 proposition... how is the twinscroll internally gated model? I already know what you're going to say, but please, oblige me :D

Alright Frankster, I'll go along with the Holset hx35 proposition... how is the twinscroll internally gated model? I already know what you're going to say, but please, oblige me :D

It bleeds off only one of the scrolls

First thing pop out that silencer ring!

FYI there are aprently 3 models of the hx35

That one! Witch I have is I think the 12cm^2 housing

There is the 14 cm^2 that is not waste gated nor twin scroll

That comes on the automatic dodge 94-98 dodge pickups

And a 16 cm^2 that comes on busses

edit: the above 12 14 16 cm^2 represents some measurement of the exhaust housing 12 being the fast spooling 14 being average 16 being slow spool but more top end hp.

Edited by frank_ster

you guys know the reason why you don't use Diesel turbos on Gasoline engines, right?

uh cuz there awesome ? its all i ever use . .do tell .