LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

interval training is probably the best for fat loss/strength gains, as for our body sugars, it only takes 20 minutes of exercise for our bodies to burn our natural glycogen levels in our muscles, after that it goes to the stored fat as energy (thats why its important to be on Ketone when you dieting, because the body sees that ketone levels are high and glycogen levels are low, it will immediately go to the stored fat for energy). It matters what your goal is, either you want to be in shape physically,or cardiovascularly, so its up to the person when they want to run or lift, everyone has a different body and operates different. I prefer to strength train first then run, or run early morning and then workout later that day. I recommend to have 24-29 grams of pure dextrose after a workout since your glycogen stores will be empty, taking the dextrose will fill up the glycogen stores, going more than 30g will be stored as fat. Dextrose probably has more of an effect on BUILDING muscle than protein does, gloycen stores are vital since thats where the muscles find their energy, if they are empty you will start losing your muscles. Only carb intake you should be having is after a workout. but again i found this most effective with my body as a fighter, but for usual glycogen stores it will take 20-30 minutes of exercise for it to burn up

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
underdog, skinny fat=gross. I dun wanna look like that.

I cut the cal intake to less than a 1/3rd of what I was eating before (started monday morning). My energy is pretty low after my 4 mile runs each day, and its tough for me to get the will to hit the gym after my runs. I'm eating balanced meals, and making sure I get my carbs.

i dont know jack about losing weight. I just know if you stop eating like an a$$hole, and run, you can lose weight quick (i cant believe how much weight fell off in 3 days, a lot more than when I did this before).

Do you have a basic workout that I should be doing, maybe splitting my running days up and doing workout days in between? I gotta burn more fat. These weddings coming up are gunna kill me.

The program I had been doing (and now run a modified version of to suit my requirements) - Starting Strength - is focused on building a foundation of strength in completely detrained people, regardless of their previous experience. The weightlifting aspect of the "program" is simply structured and consists of five key barbell lifts; the nutrition side is based on providing enough calories to foster muscle growth without worrying too much about extra fat gained during the first few months. This is where you need to adapt the diet part to work within the context of your situation, which we can get into in more depth later.

The weightlifting program is split into two days, "A" and "B", which alternate on non-consecutive days and should be done three days per week. For example, your first two weeks would look like this:

Week #1

Monday - A

Wednesday - B

Friday - A

Week #2

Monday - B

Wednesday - A

Friday - B

The workouts are:

Day "A"

Low bar back squat (or, "the squat", as thoroughly defined in the book Starting Strength, 3rd Ed., Mark Rippetoe) - 3 sets of 5 reps

Bench Press - 3 sets of 5 reps

Deadlift - 1 set of 5 reps

Day "B"

Squat - 3 sets of 5 reps

Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5 reps

Power Clean - 5 sets of 3 reps

You can do light cardio after the lifts, as the posters mentioned above. However, too much cardio will impair your ability to recover for the next workout. Cardio training needs to be sacrificed to make the most of this program, but we can work within the context of your situation and goals.

After a workout, if you have accomplished all of your sets/reps with good form, you will increase the weight that you will lift the next time. In the beginning this can be by 10-15lbs for the squat and deadlift, 5-10 for the presses and power clean. As time goes on, this amount of increase will become unsustainable. At that point you will drop the increases to 5-10lbs and 2.5-5lbs, respectively. The important part is to keep making forward progress every time you step foot in the gym. Eventually, after several months, you may find that you can't make all your reps at this new weight. The best thing to do is to try the weight at least one more time at your next workout and if you still can't do it, cut about 10% off your goal and work back up to it, with even smaller increments. By the time all your lifts have "stalled" you will be ready to decide how you want to focus your new-found strength.

In order to dive in to the nutrition and more specific aspects of how to program your workouts, can you better define your goals? 180 @ 5'10", but what % body fat? How quickly do you want to accomplish the weight loss? What kind of compromises are you willing to make regarding your diet?

• Mega Users
What kind of compromises are you willing to make regarding your diet?

I dont speak a lot of this language, body fat I just dont know. I just want to look like a skinny fat kid. I don't look like a skinny fat kid, I just would like to drop my body fat maybe 5-7 percent. I dont even know if that reasonable, i really dont know what the hell im talking about.

I'm 5'10" 192 pounds right now. Stocky build, and I still have a lot of my muscle from college/high school. I get on the weights and I increase quick, I'm pretty good about increasing weight and learning when to slow down. I had a nasty shoulder injury from the bench in college that took me 3-4 years to fully recover.

As far as my diet is concerned, I've already made considerable changes. Sodium intake, calories, fat, carbs, I cut dramitcally. Big increase in fiber. Tuesday and Wednesday I was tired and felt like shit, but now I'm starting to feel a lot better. I actually feel much healthier, and the cravings for grease have subsided.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users
I like running because its easy, and I feel like I'm burning a lot of weight off. I know I did this week, because I shed about 7-8 pounds since sunday night

Well the good news is that when you are first starting out pretty much anything works. Back when I hit 230lbs I dropped all drinks except 1 cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. I got down to about 210-215lbs with that and no exercise.

Doing something because it's easy is better than not doing anything at all. However, it's not necessary the ideal thing to do to meet your goals.

I like running because its easy, and I feel like I'm burning a lot of weight off. I know I did this week, because I shed about 7-8 pounds since sunday night

when your going long distance, 40-50% of your max heart rate is the ideal fat burning stage 60%^ youll start losing muscle, those arent exact percentages, but they are close, once it again everyone varies

• Mega Users
ok so what you guys are trying to say is that in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to need to start mixing in a workout with my runs, that I should work out before I run, and do this 4 days a week and I'll be straight?

I was always a fan of working out after a run... You are loose.

For most people, its harder to get through a 30-60 minute straight run than a 30-60 minute workout. So get the run over with imo...

I used to do both in one night. Too much of a time committment for me now. i started altering nights. Run every other night. Weights every other night. one day off per week.

Now, with all my crap goin on, i just try to get three runs a week in.

• Mega Users
I was always a fan of working out after a run... You are loose.

For most people, its harder to get through a 30-60 minute straight run than a 30-60 minute workout. So get the run over with imo...

I used to do both in one night. Too much of a time committment for me now. i started altering nights. Run every other night. Weights every other night. one day off per week.

Now, with all my crap goin on, i just try to get three runs a week in.

Ya this is what I need to get in the habit of doing.

Such a committment of time and energy. lol

We were doing a personalzied (runners version more or less) version of p90x for a couple years... Great workout, but just too much with distance training.

LOVE the use of pushups, pulls ups, and body resistance that the p90x program go to the heart of. Not really a gym machine, heavy weight kinda guy. Bought a set of selectable dumb bells, push up stands, and a pull up bar, and i was in business!

yeah my favorite workout is

as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:

5 pullups

10 pushups

15 air squats

try to keep a 1 round per minute pace and you'll be trashed.

you'll end up doing:

100 pullups

200 pushups

300 air squats

yeah my favorite workout is

as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:

5 pullups

10 pushups

15 air squats

try to keep a 1 round per minute pace and you'll be trashed.

you'll end up doing:

100 pullups

200 pushups

300 air squats

Yep... in a typical chest and back night (pushups and pullups), i would do just over 100 pullups... and between 200-400 pushups. NOT at that kinda pace though!

In all fairness, i havent done that full routine in a solid 1.5 years. lol... i felt strong, but tired!

i need to phase strength training back in. Always an excuse. Always seemingly no time.

I bet! Sounds intense!! P90x didn't take much time in between sets either. I always commented that even their strength workouts were better cardio workouts than the average joe gets on a daily basis.

ok so what you guys are trying to say is that in the next couple of weeks, I'm going to need to start mixing in a workout with my runs, that I should work out before I run, and do this 4 days a week and I'll be straight?

if you think running is your first priority do that first before lifting vise versa, cause you will have the most energy in the first activity, personally i like to run after workouts so my muscle are lose, and i dont have to worry about cramps the next day thus this will fasten the recovery period

I dont speak a lot of this language, body fat I just dont know. I just want to look like a skinny fat kid. I don't look like a skinny fat kid, I just would like to drop my body fat maybe 5-7 percent. I dont even know if that reasonable, i really dont know what the hell im talking about.

I'm 5'10" 192 pounds right now. Stocky build, and I still have a lot of my muscle from college/high school. I get on the weights and I increase quick, I'm pretty good about increasing weight and learning when to slow down. I had a nasty shoulder injury from the bench in college that took me 3-4 years to fully recover.

As far as my diet is concerned, I've already made considerable changes. Sodium intake, calories, fat, carbs, I cut dramitcally. Big increase in fiber. Tuesday and Wednesday I was tired and felt like shit, but now I'm starting to feel a lot better. I actually feel much healthier, and the cravings for grease have subsided.

didn't see this sooner, but as the resident "expert on fitness";) I can help. Yes, initially you'll start seeing some big numbers in weight loss. Most likely water weight. Those numbers should start to drop down and should remain anywhere from 1/2-2lbs per week which is healthy weight loss.

Nutrition: sounds like you are on the right track. Best advice I can offer with regards to this is "keep it simple stupid". making major diet changes which are different from what you've been doing for years can be overwhelming. allow yourself to cheat once or twice a week....helps keep your sanity. but when you do it, make is something small. don't blow everything you've worked hard on all week in one meal.

Workout: mixture of cardio and weight training is great. For the general population no scientific proof states doing cardio before weight training or visa versa works. It's all in what works best for you. When it comes to caloric burn and what gives you the most bang for your buck, weight training is it because of it's thermogenic effect. Caloric burn is still happening for hours after a good workout because the body goes into a recovery mode. Caloric burns stops pretty quickly after you get off a piece of cardio equipment.

Cardio: if your goals are weight loss, then interval training is a great way to do it. I don't know your cardio fitness levels, but exercising at levels as low as 55% and as high as 95% of your resting HR can help you burn calories the quickest. BUT in factoring this you have to take into account your overall health (High BP, etc....).

Best thing you can do for yourself is to hire a trainer for a session or two every now and then to get help whenever you are struggling.

Typically this is a good thread to help get work out advice but remember this......No one on here knows you personally. Everyone can tell you what worked for them, but doesn't mean it'll work for you.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Mega Users
didn't see this sooner, but as the resident "expert on fitness";) I can help. Yes, initially you'll start seeing some big numbers in weight loss. Most likely water weight. Those numbers should start to drop down and should remain anywhere from 1/2-2lbs per week which is healthy weight loss.

Nutrition: sounds like you are on the right track. Best advice I can offer with regards to this is "keep it simple stupid". making major diet changes which are different from what you've been doing for years can be overwhelming. allow yourself to cheat once or twice a week....helps keep your sanity. but when you do it, make is something small. don't blow everything you've worked hard on all week in one meal.

Workout: mixture of cardio and weight training is great. For the general population no scientific proof states doing cardio before weight training or visa versa works. It's all in what works best for you. When it comes to caloric burn and what gives you the most bang for your buck, weight training is it because of it's thermogenic effect. Caloric burn is still happening for hours after a good workout because the body goes into a recovery mode. Caloric burns stops pretty quickly after you get off a piece of cardio equipment.

Cardio: if your goals are weight loss, then interval training is a great way to do it. I don't know your cardio fitness levels, but exercising at levels as low as 55% and as high as 95% of your resting HR can help you burn calories the quickest. BUT in factoring this you have to take into account your overall health (High BP, etc....).

Best thing you can do for yourself is to hire a trainer for a session or two every now and then to get help whenever you are struggling.

Typically this is a good thread to help get work out advice but remember this......No one on here knows you personally. Everyone can tell you what worked for them, but doesn't mean it'll work for you.

C-lo, this is a really great write-up, thanks.

I had to really mentally prepare for the diet change. There is nothing more satisfying for me than mowing down a blue cheese burger, fries, and about 10 PBRs on an average weekday night. Not only burgers, I have a lot of really nice steak restaraunts within walking distance from where I live, its always tempting. I knew I was gaining weight, and my girlfriend was telling me I was gaining weight. I kept it comical for a while, and always said that once it started getting a little out of hand I would make a drastic change. Which I did on Monday.

Not that I'm deep into this diet, its been a whole 5 days, but my cravings for shitty food has significantly decreased since day one. I have had zero grease, aside from a little olive oil when cooking chicken, and that's it. Physically and mentally I'm feeling very good right now. But that first couple of days, going from 6000 calories a day probably, to about 1500 calories, my body hated me. But like you said "keep it simple stupid," that's what I've been doing and its working great. I'm starting to get more satisfacting out of the food I'm eating. Having a whole foods a pitching wedge away from where I work is very nice. I can put together some good, healthy, proportional meals.

Next week I'm going to start mixing in the weight training next week after my runs. I'm also going to start eating more calories, primarily from carbs, so I can get some more energy. I have not been consuming a lot of carbs, because I generally go out at night for a few beers during the week, and then for a lot of beers during the weekend. Like I said in previous posts, I'm pretty beat after my runs, and to get the will to hit the weights afterwards I'm going to need some more energy. Let me know if you have any suggestions on where to get it.

I am a strength trainer as a part time, been doing kettlebell for about 5 years now, so i know what i am doing, been trained by professional trainers, athletes, ex military, etc.. so if anyone is in the tri state area i can train with you or help train you for absolutely free, i never charge people for exercise, been doing it for 3 years now, gets me up whenever i am bored and have nothing to do

Like I said in previous posts, I'm pretty beat after my runs, and to get the will to hit the weights afterwards I'm going to need some more energy. Let me know if you have any suggestions on where to get it.

then after a quick warm up, do your weights first then run. Or split between your weights days and your cardio days.

glad the input helped. ;)

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• Mega Users
I am a strength trainer as a part time, been doing kettlebell for about 5 years now, so i know what i am doing, been trained by professional trainers, athletes, ex military, etc.. so if anyone is in the tri state area i can train with you or help train you for absolutely free, i never charge people for exercise, been doing it for 3 years now, gets me up whenever i am bored and have nothing to do

dude u are the man

• Mega Users
then after a quick warm up, do your weights first then run. Or split between your weights days and your cardio days.

glad the input helped. ;)

what do you think about 2 miles, then workout for 30 mins, then 2 miles after?

if you aren't spent after the first then go for it. depends on how hard your workout is.

Archived