LegacyGT.com

Diet/Workout Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read this thread and like what I see. :-) I want to get in the mood of working better because I want to benefit myself, my partner, and not get flagged (Army term - Stops promotions and schools).

I'm not obese but according to Nintendo Wii Fit Plus I'm overweight, with a BMI of about 24%. So, I'm beginning to come to work at 0700, and trying to tone/lose weight/etc by myself.

I can pass a PT test, which I do believe isn't that tough, but I want to do better on my scores. Next week begins the first full week I want to start working out in the morning. I'm liking it so far, albeit it cuts into personal time. :-P

"What's God, if not the spark that started life?"

~ Last Ride of the Day by Nightwish

Exercising/lifting is a big part of my life. I pretty much focus everything around that. I pay close attention to how much protein, carbs, etc.. I eat. I got back into the whole healthy thing January 1st and since then I've lost 50lbs, 230lbs to 180lbs and being only 5'7 I was a hefty guy, and gained some good muscle mass. I've gone from a 38 waist to a lose 32. My goal is to drop to 170 then start bulking to put on some good muscle mass and have my bench max to 315.

I've read this thread and like what I see. :-) I want to get in the mood of working better because I want to benefit myself, my partner, and not get flagged (Army term - Stops promotions and schools).

I'm not obese but according to Nintendo Wii Fit Plus I'm overweight, with a BMI of about 24%. So, I'm beginning to come to work at 0700, and trying to tone/lose weight/etc by myself.

I can pass a PT test, which I do believe isn't that tough, but I want to do better on my scores. Next week begins the first full week I want to start working out in the morning. I'm liking it so far, albeit it cuts into personal time. :-P

Whats in a PT test these days?

I think the marines have one, but if I'm not mistaken, the pull up achieves the same work out as the push up - upper body. Using pull ups to train for push ups would help immensely though.

"What's God, if not the spark that started life?"

~ Last Ride of the Day by Nightwish

I think the marines have one, but if I'm not mistaken, the pull up achieves the same work out as the push up - upper body. Using pull ups to train for push ups would help immensely though.

actually pull ups and push ups work out different parts of the body, the only similarity that they have is CORE, its high recommending while doing either pullups or pushups to tighten your core. As for pull ups it really matters what kind you do (wide, close, behind the head etc), but in general it will work on your pulling muscles, such as lats, biceps, for arms, and triceps are the major ones, as for push ups same thing, it matters what type you do (diamonds, regular close, clapping etc) but in general push ups will work out your pushing muscles such as pectorals minor/major, triceps, deltiod , teres minor/major etc. both are amazing, the reason why i highly recommend Muscle ups, because its a mixture of both a pull and a push in one movement, thus your body learns how use the entire upper body at once strengthening all the muscles and tendons and since the acromion process (located on the shoulder blade) is the anchor to most of the back and chest muscle, which that connects to the posterior chain muscles, if done repetitively will show amazing strength and body abilities

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I have started going to the local HS track on off-days (days in between lifting) rather than doing the elliptical at the gym. It's pretty amazing how poorly elliptical training translates to real life running...

We started out with just a few laps around the track followed by some shuttle runs, followed by a few more laps. I was sucking wind by the end. :lol:

yeah, same for the treadmill. can't train for a 5k on a treadmill:lol:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

actually pull ups and push ups work out different parts of the body, the only similarity that they have is CORE, its high recommending while doing either pullups or pushups to tighten your core. As for pull ups it really matters what kind you do (wide, close, behind the head etc), but in general it will work on your pulling muscles, such as lats, biceps, for arms, and triceps are the major ones, as for push ups same thing, it matters what type you do (diamonds, regular close, clapping etc) but in general push ups will work out your pushing muscles such as pectorals minor/major, triceps, deltiod , teres minor/major etc. both are amazing, the reason why i highly recommend Muscle ups, because its a mixture of both a pull and a push in one movement, thus your body learns how use the entire upper body at once strengthening all the muscles and tendons and since the acromion process (located on the shoulder blade) is the anchor to most of the back and chest muscle, which that connects to the posterior chain muscles, if done repetitively will show amazing strength and body abilities

How do pullups work your triceps?

Some pull ups more so than others, but mainly - they are one of the muscles that help stabilize your body during the movement. The stabilization in itself, is a great workout.

When peforming overhanded pull ups is when your biceps and tri's get a workout by keeping your body balanced and in line. It's not as direct as a kick back, but it will give the tris some attention.

Pull ups and push ups are both similiar in the ways they benefit numeous muscle groups... Which is why i like 'em! Lotta bang for your buck! lol

I'm not buying it. I used to do mad pull ups. Even got to the point where I could do them with a 25lb plate hanging between my legs. You can use the stabilization argument for any core exercise, but to even compare it to tricep kickbacks is ridiculous.

biceps are your assistors in any pull exercise....I'm scratching my head trying to understand your arguement that triceps help too. :confused:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

yes...there is some stabilization there, but in no way is it like a "kick back"

:rolleyes:

Never said it was like a kick back...

It's not a true tricep workout per se, however it does work them out a bit (if you catch my drift).

Next time you're on the bar, watch your tri's. There's something goin' on there. :)

Archived