LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if this is a powertrain 'mule', they would want to use the actual axles. However, if we are assuming that this is RWD only, then they wouldn't necessarily need to have the correct track width up front on this vehicle. Seems odd though; could it just be an optical illusion? Maybe it's the front fenders that are wacky wide, rather than the rear track.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

That seems to be a quick hack of a chassis and it's probably only a test rig to see if it's feasible to build a short wheel base car or if it will have horrible behavior.

No need to have a turbo engine for the first runs. A NA engine is a lot smoother in the power curve so they can straighten out the worst things in handling using that engine. Just throw in a turbo engine later when that is done. Of course - a turbo engine may require more adjustment but then you are at least in the right area.

Anyway - this seems to have potential to be a new STi 22B.

453747.png

this is what i'm seeing...

"What to expect from Subaru’s take on the FT-86

The latest rumors coming out of Japan, via Autocar, confirm earlier speculation by Leftlane that Subaru will in fact opt for a higher output engine than Toyota, driven by the price structuring as well as the brand’s need to assert the car as a performance model despite its lack of all-wheel drive."

"Toyota is expected to utilize a 2.0-liter 200 horsepower flat-four from Subaru to power its FT-86 coupe, but Subaru will reportedly opt for the 260 horsepower powerplant found in its WRX and Legacy 2.5GT models. Both Toyota and Subaru will reportedly use a six-speed manual, although an automatic transmission is highly likely to appear as an option as well."

"STI version in the works?

Although Subaru has yet to give the coupe the official go-ahead, or even a name aside from the internal usage of 216A, the 2+2 still in the design phase for official purposes, we believe this coupe has full production intent. In addition to Subaru working on the standard version of the tow-door, Auto Express says Subaru is also readying a high-performance spin off, codenamed 086A. Like all high-performance Subaru models, the company’s STI division has been handed the task of upping the coupe’s performance quotient."

"Compared to the standard car, the STI version would sport a wider stance accented by wider wheel arches, a lowered suspension, a unique body kit, bigger wheels and a more aggressive spoiler. To complete the STI treatment, Subaru would likely opt for the turbocharged 2.5-liter boxer engine that is good for 305 horsepower in the Impreza WRX STI.

Those wanting STI performance at a WRX price (minus all-wheel drive) will have to wait, however, as the base sports coupe isn’t expected to debut until late 2011 at the Tokyo Motor Show – making an early 2012 market launch likely."

• 1 month later...
SO... the latest rumors/news report that the FT-86 (216a being the Subaru designator) will be rebadged as a scion and that Subaru won't be releasing its variant in the US.

08 NBP Legacy GT BNR16G E85

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

07 FXT Sports. Stock :lol:

SO... the latest rumors/news report that the FT-86 (216a being the Subaru designator) will be rebadged as a scion and that Subaru won't be releasing its variant in the US.

Not too surprised about the Scion part..

And, sadly, not too surprised about the "not in the US" part for Subaru.

Subaru seems like the VW of Japan... Lots of great cars, but we only get a few carefully chosen models over here..

dumb decision, that is blasphemy

It's a great decision. AWD needlessly adds weight, dumbs down steering response, and lowers drivability. For a sports car, rwd is what you want. If you want awd, the impreza is there for you. The rwd toyobaru will be a step-up from the wrx.

Looking forward to a test drive.

It's a great decision. AWD needlessly adds weight, dumbs down steering response, and lowers drivability. For a sports car, rwd is what you want. If you want awd, the impreza is there for you. The rwd toyobaru will be a step-up from the wrx.

Looking forward to a test drive.

Blasphemy. Blasphemy i tell ya!!!

Subaru just released at teaser sketch of a "Subaru Coupe Concept" at SEMA.

To me, this doesn't look much like the FT-86: the front wheels are in the wrong place: too far from the front bumper and too close to the windshield.

Credit: leftlanenews.com

http://i51.tinypic.com/23m8q5z.jpg

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

To me, this doesn't look much like the FT-86: the front wheels are in the wrong place: too far from the front bumper and too close to the windshield.

http://i51.tinypic.com/23m8q5z.jpg

Now THAT could be AWD...

Blasphemy. Blasphemy i tell ya!!!

When you test drive it, you will see that the truth emanates from mine fingers. :lol:

Seriously, you will learn to drive a light rwd car with stiff suspension and communicative steering in a whole new way. It is more challenging, particularly in low grip conditions. Much more fun. Some more skill.

You will be converted. Resistance is futile.

Yeah, this does not look like a rwd car - the fronts are so far from the nose that something shaped like this needs a front transaxle. I don't think this is the Subaru version of this car.

Why would Subaru do an awd version of this car?? There is the WRX; it would be redundant. Why would you do anything to cannibalize sales of the WRX.

This car needs to be an RX-8 or S2000 fighter = rwd.

I'd buy some Subaru fish, but idk about fried chicken...

Anyway... that pic is from a press release about a teaser to a new "concept car" Subaru will unveil in LA next month.... I don't think it is the FT-86 at all

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110110229313/subaru-concept-teased-for-la-auto-show-2010#ixzz14DcCILXx

Why would Subaru do an awd version of this car?? There is the WRX; it would be redundant. Why would you do anything to cannibalize sales of the WRX.

I disagree. Subaru would be dumb if they did not make an AWD version of this coupe.

The WRX has followers and thus there will always be a market for the WRX. Adding an AWD coupe may redistribute a few, such as myself, but not many.

A Subaru coupe should attract Subaru owners. But Subaru owners for the most part are in it for the AWD. Otherwise they would be driving something else, such as a Toyota. So those who are truly in it for a RWD coupe already have experience with the Toyota variant of days gone by and will thus stick to Toyota leaving Subaru out in the cold.

Archived