LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

I really, really hope this toyota/subaru partnership thing absolutely flops and the car is a complete and total catastrophe. Not because I dislike light weight, stiffly sprung, rwd sport coupes. Quite the opposite.

But because absolutely no good comes from partnering with Japan's GM. :unamused: An extended partnership between toyota and subaru wont result in an overall better product. It will result in an over all cheaper and more poorly made one.

**** toyota.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really, really hope this toyota/subaru partnership thing absolutely flops and the car is a complete and total catastrophe. Not because I dislike light weight, stiffly sprung, rwd sport coupes. Quite the opposite.

But because absolutely no good comes from partnering with Japan's GM. :unamused: An extended partnership between toyota and subaru wont result in an overall better product. It will result in an over all cheaper and more poorly made one.

**** toyota.

equating toyota to GM is retardation at its finest. Toyota may be boring, but they are in no way mismanaged into the ground like GM. Toyota stumbles and immediately goes into fix it mode. GM would have stuck its head in the sand and continued on into bankruptcy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I disagree. Subaru would be dumb if they did not make an AWD version of this coupe.

The WRX has followers and thus there will always be a market for the WRX. Adding an AWD coupe may redistribute a few, such as myself, but not many.

A Subaru coupe should attract Subaru owners. But Subaru owners for the most part are in it for the AWD. Otherwise they would be driving something else, such as a Toyota. So those who are truly in it for a RWD coupe already have experience with the Toyota variant of days gone by and will thus stick to Toyota leaving Subaru out in the cold.

But there are many Subaru loyalists who would love to have an additional Subaru option to purchase (even without AWD), and it will give another route for non-Subaru people to be drawn into the Subaru fold.

From Jalopnik, at the LA Auto Show:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/11/500x_subieyota_1_01.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/11/500x_subieyota_2_01.jpg

You can just make out the details of the two-door Imprezaish Subieyota version of the Toyobaru/FT86/FR-S, which will debut later today. It looks a little like the Hybrid Tourer Concept.

*edit* later changed to:

You can just make out the details of this Imprezaish Subaru concept under a sheet. It looks a little like the Hybrid Tourer Concept.
Full size images available at the link.

LOL if only real Subarus looked that good. But still a couple bones to pick:

1. the wheel arches don't need to be so huge

2. their "concept" is already an outdated design. There are tons of European cars that look like that that have been out on the roads for several years now. Yawn.

• 3 weeks later...
Honestly, I can't see Subaru actually going through production of a non-AWD vehicle at this point. You can't base the whole franchise around something and then ruin it with one vehicle. Subaru doesn't desperately need another vehicle, so why would they make one that doesn't fit the Subaru build.

Errr, the Subaru R1 currently selling is FWD.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest news on the Impreza Coupe

http://www.fastmotoring.com/index.php/2010/12/subaru-impreza-coupe-2012/

Subaru Impreza Coupé 2012

by ben on December 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm, filed under Subaru;

We heard about the join development of Toyota and Subaru for the 2+2 sports coupe car. The Toyota version of it as we know as FT-86 was revealed and we’ve seen tons of picture of it. This 2 pictures here will give a a glimpse of how Subaru’s version of FT-86 or the 2+2 Subaru coupé will look like. Rumors say that will be call the Subaru version Eleven and with this model in specific a Subaru Impreza Coupé.

http://www.fastmotoring.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/car_photo_410167_251.jpg

The chasis of the car is modified from the current Subaru Legacy Chasis, the engine will be the Subaru’s flagship engine – the 2.0L boxer engine. Originally the engine produces 148bhp, but with a new cylinder head and new camshafts,piston and valves, the Subaru Coupe will produce 200bhp. 0-100km/h will be under 7 seconds with a top speed of 225km/h. The new layout will be a 2 rear wheel driven model. However, we would expect a 300bhp turbo version or probably it will be called the Wrx version or even STi to come later too.

http://www.fastmotoring.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/car_photo_410164_25.jpg

The handling will be tuned optimum - that is on the suspension, steering and also the brakes. The cars will be paired with a 6 speed manual gearbox. Subaru also carries its signature huge bonnet scoop to help cool down the engine. While it is expected to look similar to the Toyota version of FT-86. Subaru has implement its new design elements such as the hawk-eye shaped headlights as well as the day light LED at the fog lights area. We expect the car to be on sale in 2012 and the price estimate to be RM200k-250k.

Source : AutoExpress UK

I'm guessing that 2.0l 200 hp engine will be for the UK market and for the US, it'll be the 2.5 with new head/cams/etc making around 200 hp. I don't know of any 2.0s here in the US making close to 200 hp except for the S2000, and its powerband isn't exactly conventional..

I'd say this is good news

Toyota tackles the problem with the upcoming FT-86 rear-wheel-drive sports coupe by going with a Subaru pancake engine -- the STI's 305-horsepower, 290 pound-foot version of the 2.5-liter turbo four, our source says. Earlier reports had the FT-86 launching with less-powerful Subaru engines. Toyota's development costs have ballooned, however, and the FT-86 is now seen as a mid-$20s car rather than a sub-$20,000 car.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2011/1101_toyota_extending_subaru_product_sharing_to_highlander_tribeca/index.html

As per some of the comments on that thread: No way it launches for under $25K with 300 hp. That's even cheaper than the Genesis 3.8 coupe.. The only thing with 300 hp to touch $25K is the new 2011 Mustang.. Maybe they were thinking 25K GBP (pounds)?

I do like the Tribeca/Highlander tie-in, because the Tribeca is selling so badly. If Subaru can sell an AWD/boxer Highlander (basically), that'd be a win, I'd think..

Yeahhhh, something that cheap and fast, I can't wait to hear what insurance costs will be.

A (2 year older) WRX was double what I'm paying for my LGT...

Yeah, there's that too.. Might be the new SRT4? :lol:

Sharing platforms for this model/type of car is where Subaru & Toyota should have went their separate ways.

1. Toyota: Giving this a 2L/I4/RWD setup.

2. Subaru: Giving this a 2L/AWD/Turbo setup.

Both of them sharing the same setup as the Toyota? Man do I not see this going well.

While Toyota has been happy to supply the world with glimpses of and whispers about its version of the FT-86 sports coupe, Subaru has been suspiciously quiet about its planned version of the car. But it looks like that's about to change. The Pleiades has announced the vehicles that it plans to show off at this year's Geneva Motor Show in March, and tucked amongst the already-revealed Impreza Concept and the new Trezia econobox is word that the Subaru Rear-Wheel Drive Sports Car Technology Concept will also make an appearance. The news answers the question of whether or not the Subaru end of the venture would boast the company's trademark all-wheel drive when it debuts. All signs point to no - at least in concept form.
Autoblog

Archived