LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something you guys fail to see. Subaru needs to meet cafe standards in 2012. What are they being regulated at 35 mpg? This is the reason why they're teaming up with toyota so they can raise their mpg average.

So whats so bad about that? Each car doesn't have to achieve 35mpg, their entire fleet combined has to avg 35mpg.

Subaru is getting MPG Machines in return for developing a Toyota sportscar. Win win.

So whats so bad about that? Each car doesn't have to achieve 35mpg, their entire fleet combined has to avg 35mpg.

Subaru is getting MPG Machines in return for developing a Toyota sportscar. Win win.

Did i write something like im against subaru joining with toyota to increase their mpg? No i did not i just stated why subaru is teaming up with toyota. I have bo issues with cars that are fun to drive and are able to achieve good mpg.

Did i write something like im against subaru joining with toyota to increase their mpg? No i did not i just stated why subaru is teaming up with toyota. I have bo issues with cars that are fun to drive and are able to achieve good mpg.

I took the "you guys fail to see" part like you thought it was bad.

Ok then. All is well. Carry on. :lol:

When looking at the image of the car it's rather obvious that the design makes it hard to fit AWD - at least with a boxer engine.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/newft862.jpg

But the car seems to be something like Subaru's answer to the Miata. OK, with a roof - but that's not necessarily a bad thing since it adds rigidity to the car.

453747.png

• 3 weeks later...
Less than 1 month until Geneva when both the Subaru and Toyota variants will be shown. Not sure if they will be production versions, but I'm hoping it will be closer than the concept. And it sounds like the STI motor will make in the Subaru version. :cool:

Something you guys fail to see. Subaru needs to meet cafe standards in 2012. What are they being regulated at 35 mpg? This is the reason why they're teaming up with toyota so they can raise their mpg average.

Do ANY Subaru models come close to 35 mpg? 31 mpg for the 2.5i Legacy is the ONLY Subaru model I see over 30 mpg. Wow, they'll need a LOT of mpg improvements to hit 35 mpg. Or are they giving Subaru a waiver, because they're not a "full" manufacturer? Or do AWD models get a 1.x exemption factor?

• 2 weeks later...

Did not see this posted anywhere.

Mods Feel free to delete it if it is a repost

the link

"The Subaru version is slated for a Geneva debut, and the rumormill now suggests that all-wheel drive is planned for the Subaru coupe, which should easily differentiate it from the Scion FT-S and help keep the two cars from cannibalizing each other's sales"

The second article basically says AWD is not happening, but it's older than the first article, which says the rumor mill says it is still possible.

I'm afraid the "rumor mill" is most likely them just reading NASIOC and listening to all the doom-and-gloomers that forecast the demise of SOA if they dare release a non-AWD vehicle in the US.

Well, I think they're referring to their source from the first article, here. Not NASIOC, but still don't know where they're getting these "reports."
Further reports stated the engine would be a 2.5 liter rather than the current concept 2.0 liter, they expect the FT-S to compete with the current top sports cars in the 20-40k range. Luckily the price is still reported as lower $20k range for the Scion FT-S, and get this the Subaru model could hit upwards of $40k range! Go figure, but AWD Fans, don't retreat just yet, it sounds like an AWD model will hit production for Subaru. This decision was made because Toyota doesn't want the brands competing with each other. It was said the Scion FT-S and Subaru variant are based off a modified WRX chassis, while this sounds possible we still remain sceptic of the news. Previously it was rumored to be based off a Legacy chassis.

I'd love to get my hands on the Toybaru. I don't care which emblem it has on the nose. I'll be looking at performance numbers. Subaru has become synonymous with AWD in the US. But it hasn't always been the case. In fact, the first US Subaru (su-BAR-oo) was the rear-engine RWD 360.

Granted, the name came from the engine displacement... in cc. But Subaru went on to FWD cars with 4WD on demand as an option. It wasn't until the mid 90s that they went AWD only. So while I like Subaru's AWD system for it's simplicity, predictability at the limit, and bulletproof design, I don't think that it's the only thing that makes a Subaru [a Subaru].

Also, with every other brand starting to offer AWD in it's lineup, and actually marketing it well (new Dodge commercials come to mind). Subaru needs to add some other options to it's stable.

While, arguably, Subaru has the best AWD platform out there, many shoppers could care less whether their car is Symmetrical, parttime, or RWD/FWD biased. All they really care is that is "AWD" and they can say it is and therefore become "invincible" in bad weather.

This could help Subaru get into a new market segment and gain more followers, who, when it comes time to buy a new mid-size sedan, may then look at Subaru because they love their little Suby coupe.

I'll never buy a Subaru unless its AWD. Enough said.

I'd trade my miata in for a rwd subaru roadster if they get rid of the EVO front end. So many ways to make this a hot looking little car, but I feel I'm beyond the target age on this one. If it is rwd, they should have room to do a slant nose. Everything out there looks like a streetfighter kit/evo from the front end to me, time to get back to some classic lines. Hope they surprise me....

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

There are plenty of FWD cars in the market, but not too many RWD performance coupes that cost under $30k.

I think Subaru is marketing to a certain market segment here, and I think they have the performance and reliablity to get a stronghold in it.

But only time will tell....

There are plenty of FWD cars in the market, but not too many RWD performance coupes that cost under $30k.

I think Subaru is marketing to a certain market segment here, and I think they have the performance and reliablity to get a stronghold in it.

But only time will tell....

+1

look at the genesis coupe. great formula. that car's downfall is the make. if that were a toyota or honda it'd be selling like crazy

a rwd turbo ft-86 would be the tits

+1

look at the genesis coupe. great formula. that car's downfall is the make. if that were a toyota or honda it'd be selling like crazy

a rwd turbo ft-86 would be the tits

A friend has one of those. 3.8V6 6MT. Good car. Minus the electrical gremlins :lol:

I actually see quite a few around.

Archived