LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Genesis coupe is not transverse.

It is longitudinal RWD.

It is a mid-sized coupe, nearly as big as a Mustang, or G-coupe but that is intentional, it isn't supposed to be as small as an compact Hyundai, or the FWD Kia Forte Koup. Not every car should be tiny, just as not all people are tiny. :D

FT-86 will be smaller and lighter, and probably 100hp less than even the I4 Turbo Genesis Coupe. And the GenCoupe may actually get the Sonata Turbo's 274hp variant of the engine before FT-86 arrives.

But rest assured, the Genesis Coupe is longitudinal, and RWD, just as Mustang, FT-86, and any RWD Subaru-badged coupe would be.

Report: Toyota FT-86 delayed until 2013, hybrid under consideration (Autoblog)

If a report from Japan's Best Car is to be believed, Toyota will delay the release of the FT-86 from 2011 to 2013.

The reasons behind the delay are varied, and include a different design direction, the economic slowdown and possibly a revised powertrain strategy that could include some kind of hybrid motivation.

As reported previously, the original FT-86 concept was just that – a design study – and Toyota is apparently second-guessing the styling of the coupe before it reaches production. Additionally, ToMoCo is reportedly gauging the success of the Honda CR-Z, which could influence the final drivetrain specs of the FT-86. If that means a hybrid powerplant is in the cards, we're not totally heartbroken, but if Toyota decides to remake the coupe as a front-driver, consider our dreams officially dashed. Regardless, the next iteration of the FT-86 is slated to debut at the Tokyo Motor Show at the end of 2011.

I am sick of this crap.

On-again, off again.... specs changing, design changing, focus market changing...

That kind of second-guessing committee think is what KILLS the appeal of cars, especially anything remotely enthusiast-grade.

Considering how much of a fit Subaru (and Toyota as well) tend to throw when a product doesn't sell like gangbusters...

SVX

Impreza coupe

Baja

Tribeca

BL Legacy

MR2

Supra

Celica

ALL CANCELLED, not evaluated honestly, and revised properly into something attractive, and without the understanding that not every automotive sector will sell like gangbusters, but that doesn't mean that no product should be offered at all...

I'd rather they didn't put forward a compromised, or hack-job product after committee think chopped it up.

I'd rather they not poison that well with a bad attempt, and maybe come back to it with someone who has some vision and can build a car properly, and maintain focus, and try something that will work well.

Subaru should consider this collaboration cancelled, and proceed on an expedited timeline for their own coupe. The committee think on this FT-86 project is the lethal ingredient, anyway.

Subaru should take the R&D progress, and PRODUCE AN IMPREZA-CHASSIS AWD COUPE NOW.

Re-body the Impreza WRX/STI floorpan with a sleek 3-door coupe body... use the new NA DOHC engine, the WRX and STI turbo H4 engines, and the EZ36 H6... the 5-speed auto, and the STI/Spec.B 6MT with DCCD.

Inverted Bilsteins, Brembos, Forged BBS, the whole STI kit at the top end of the line, with 305hp STI turbo 4, or 300+hp NA flat 6 engine choice.

EZ36 should be able to roughly meet the power output of the Ford 3.7 V6, the Hyundai 3.8, and the Nissan VQ37, if it isn't corked for the benefit of the 5-speed automatic's unofficial ~260lb.ft. of torque operational limit. It has variable valve timing, and the EZ30 had variable lift, as well, which could be re-added to the newer EZ engine.

NA flat 4, CVT or 6MT like the '10 Legacy 2.5i, as the economy model, WRX equivalent between the two. ~23K base, to ~34-36K top end price range. Right across the heart of Genesis and Mustang... But with AWD, independent suspension, and sleeker looks.

All versions with 5x114.3 PCD, ~+40mm offset wheel fitment, please. You can make the car wide-bodied, as long as it isn't as chunky and graceless as the WRX and STI sheetmetal is. Think SVX meets 2005-2009 Legacy sleek and clean styling.

If M-B can build a C-class chassis into what they call an E-class Coupe, Subaru can use the GR Impreza Chassis to build a coupe between the Impreza and Legacy lines, as well.

No reason at all for a coupe to be as gargantuan as the 2010+ Legacy is. That car makes SVX look small, and SVX isn't that small. Pictures exist to prove it.

But it need not be as spartan as the impreza line, either... some features and amenities in the catalog would be welcome.

Subaru could build this for an early 2012 release, and show the concept this fall, if they wanted to, especially if they have somehow picked up competent exterior and interior designers with a sense of aesthetics.

The parts and the platform are all there. Like Nike says... JUST DO IT!

Considering how much of a fit Subaru (and Toyota as well) tend to throw when a product doesn't sell like gangbusters...

Tribeca

ALL CANCELLED, not evaluated honestly, and revised properly into something attractive, and without the understanding that not every automotive sector will sell like gangbusters, but that doesn't mean that no product should be offered at all...

The Tribeca is getting canceled? Or you just expect it will be?

The Genesis coupe is not transverse.

It is longitudinal RWD.

It is a mid-sized coupe, nearly as big as a Mustang, or G-coupe but that is intentional, it isn't supposed to be as small as an compact Hyundai, or the FWD Kia Forte Koup. Not every car should be tiny, just as not all people are tiny. :D

FT-86 will be smaller and lighter, and probably 100hp less than even the I4 Turbo Genesis Coupe. And the GenCoupe may actually get the Sonata Turbo's 274hp variant of the engine before FT-86 arrives.

But rest assured, the Genesis Coupe is longitudinal, and RWD, just as Mustang, FT-86, and any RWD Subaru-badged coupe would be.

Wow, a longitudinal I4 engine. Will wonders never cease.

Still, doubtful that it will be 100 hp less. 70, maybe, but not 100. If it is on, instead of off.

Rather than scrap everything FT86, Subaru should just take the opportunity to finish it off and make hay with what Toyota fails to see value in. Apparently, they no longer value making exciting cars, which was the point of the FT86 in the first place, if you believe the hype. I did see it as a Toyota-branded & segmented version of the Lexus LFA - not so much a big market-grabber but a critical sign that the brand has a soul.

Rather than get into the very expensive business of developing new powertrains and AWD layouts, just mate the FT86 to the standard 2.0 L NA and turbo powertrains for Japan and 2.5 L NA and turbo powertrains for ROW. Why drop in the 3.6L? Even with the weight savings of the alloy engine, that's still a big hunk of mass in the front of a RWD platform. Just because it will compete with a Mustang, doesn't mean it should handle like one...

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

The Tribeca is getting canceled? Or you just expect it will be?

It is getting close to Re-fresh time. Yet Tribecas of the current generations can't be found, and are in short days of supply.

Doesn't seem like it is getting a whole lot of support, does it?

Wow, a longitudinal I4 engine. Will wonders never cease.

Still, doubtful that it will be 100 hp less. 70, maybe, but not 100. If it is on, instead of off.

The FT-86 coverage seemed to indicate that the HP target had been lowered from 200 to 160, when they decided it should be a "green" car.

The Genesis 2.0T currently makes ~210hp, but nearly 245lb.ft of torque. Once it gets the engine specs from the Sonata turbo, that would go to 274hp stock. which is rumored to be likely in 2011 or 2012... before the Subaru/Toyota coupe would hit the market, if todays news is to be believed.

If the Genesis gets upgraded to 274 horsepower, and the FT-86 ever does happen, with it's rumored 160hp... that would be more than 100 horsepower difference.

Conjecture, of course, but quite feasible. Genesis is not going to let Mustang just go to 300 and 400 horsepower respectively, while they just stick to 200-300, if they can help it. Camaro, and Challenger aren't going to just roll-over, either.

that's a lot of options. imo, subaru saves money by using only what? 3 engines? the rest for the manufacturing world has quite a bit more and complicates their process. sticking to a turbo 4 with wrx drivetrain makes sense. remove the electronics and front shaft (or leave them there, but i think the WRX market will suffer). they have the parts, just use them differently. the interest for this setup is there....

1: they need to offer more variety than they do.

2: they need to build the coupe just right, especially for enthusiast appeal. Enthusiasts are picky, and they want things their way. Variety of options offers that, and makes people happy with their purchase... and most enthusiasts will pay for something that is right, but may not buy things that aren't right. Mainstream will follow enthusiast appeal and word of mouth, and will follow-purchase a popular car. Take WRX and the Outback for example. The people who knew what was up loved them... and others followed the excitement generated.

3: That is three engine options, basically.

A: the new DOHC NA engine that Subaru just unveiled. Efficient option, and likely more flexible and efficient than the current EJ-non-turbo.

B: EJ25 series turbo. WRX and STI trims are very closely related, and basically a turbo and tune is all that separate them. Impreza GT, Forester XT, Legacy GT, WRX, and WRX STI already have at least 3 different tunes of the EJ25x turbo H4.

C: EZ36 tuned for more power, with AVLS re-added, in addition to the AVCS that it already has. EZ30R did have AVLS already, and the heads may directly fit.

Three engines. NA and Turbo H4s, and H6.

Other than some MINOR fettling, these are engines that Subaru already builds.

Subaru could easily make me very happy. Build me a new SVX, based on shared mechanical parts, rather than being so mechanically separate, as the original SVX was.

The only new parts they would need would be a slick new coupe bodystyle.

The chassis, drivetrain, suspension, engine, and the rest of it already exists now, where it wasn't already in place in the early 1990s, and SVX had to pioneer a lot of that stuff.

Subaru could easily make me very happy. Build me a new SVX, based on shared mechanical parts, rather than being so mechanically separate, as the original SVX was.

The only new parts they would need would be a slick new coupe bodystyle.

The chassis, drivetrain, suspension, engine, and the rest of it already exists now, where it wasn't already in place in the early 1990s, and SVX had to pioneer a lot of that stuff.

I like idea

• 2 months later...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110080927828/subaru-ft-86-coupe-underpinned-by-legacy-platform

Motor Trend is reporting Subaru's version of the Toyota FT-86 (aka Toyoburu) will be underpinned by a revised Legacy platform with an Impreza rear suspension. This should result in a comfortable chassis that isn't too soft when the roads turn twisty.

While the FT-86 will feature a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter boxer engine with approximately 200 hp (149 kW /203 PS), the Subaru model is expected to use an updated 2.0-liter turbo with 260 hp (194 kW / 264 PS). Both models will have a six-speed manual (from the Impreza), but an automatic transmission will likely be offered as well. Unfortunately, all-wheel drive doesn't seem like part of the package.

Styling is expected to be virtually identical to the Toyota FT-86, as all body panels will be shared, but the Subaru version will feature a unique grille, modified bumpers, and different wheels.

The car will likely go on sale in 2013 with a base price of $25,000+.

http://imgs.worldcarfans.com/2010/8/9/medium/540123311410223225.jpg

i'd pay 30k for a fully loaded rwd subaru. just make sure it handles good. maybe 2600-800lbs loaded, and H6 tuned for ~300hp. 370z fighter. as much as i want awd, i have accepted the fact that a balanced sports car is faster and more fun to drive.

Archived