LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

Subaru could easily make the Impreza back into a 2 door and have an AWD 2 door for under 30k, but it wouldn't be much performance. If they added turbo we'd have a 2 door WRX, given their current price points, I don't think Subaru can combine Turbo and AWD for under $30k, no matter what platform they use.

I think they are looking at market trends and realize people want a performance coupe, and those that want one are more concerned with power and handling, and less so with AWD, just so long as the car is balanced and designed well enough to handle the power it's given.

They can cut ALOT of weight and proportion things better if they don't have to deal with and AWD drivetrain too.

I for one, would LOVE a RWD sports coupe to drive around for fun. Not too many people buy performance coupes to use as DD anyway, so the AWD argument for weather is moot IMO. As for the AWD for performance sake... many argue a well built RWD platform is a better drivers car.... I for one have never driven a true RWD performance car, so I can't comment on that one.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weight of an AWD Subaru isn't the issue here. Subarus are very light compared to other AWD offerings.

The issue here is building a sports car with the engine in front of the wheels just to accommodate the symmetrical AWD. As evidenced by the latest EVO/STi comparisons, the EVO is whooping the STi and the EVO is ~200lbs heavier. You can't chalk that up to just the EVO's AYC.

My point is, if Subaru knew how to make their top of the line sports sedan fast with their symmetrical AWD, they would.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/22/subaru-teases-boxer-sports-car-architecture-ahead-of-geneva-debu/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/02/subaru-ft86-teaser1.jpg

Some automakers adopt the latest technologies in whatever form they come. Others define themselves around specific features. Take Subaru, for example, which has built up its reputation around two features: all-wheel drive and the boxer engine. In its joint venture with Toyota over a shared sportscar platform, Subaru may have had to give up on AWD (at least in conceptual form), but it's not budging an inch on the horizontally-opposed engine configuration.

So far, all we've seen of the Subaru version of what Toyota is calling the FT-86 program are some spy shots of test mules wearing modified Impreza bodywork. But both Toyota and Subaru are expected to unveil their own versions of the sports coupe at the upcoming Geneva Motor Show, and to pique our interests, the latter has released the single teaser shot you see above, representing the boxer engine nestled inside a Tron-like representation of the sportscar's frame. Not much to go on, really, but about all we've got so far, so check out the statement after the jump, follow the link to Subaru's website and watch this space for more.

No AWD and my wallet isn't opening. Hope that it is a true sports car though. enough ponies and troque's to compete at the right price.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

No AWD and my wallet isn't opening. Hope that it is a true sports car though. enough ponies and troque's to compete at the right price.

Ponies and torque are on my list after "Added Lightness." I'd rather have a 200hp 2000lb car than a 400hp 4000lb car. They'll both go in a straight line the same, but the lighter car will run circles around the other when the road bends.

my 2 cents... when this does come out, (the subaru version) I am DEFFINETLY getting a loan and getting this car. maybe ill wait for the 2nd year its out so they get the kinks/bugs out. but seriously, RWD is dominated by the Nissan Z's. Toyota messed up with stoping the Supra line up to produce the IS lexus. Its time for a new age RWD to compete with Nissian/Infinity, and the beat skeat RX8's, as well as the luxury inspired IS line up.

edit: i just read/looked at the article above.. and it says the concept see threw body/chassis has front axles.. i kinda do wish it will be RWD, open up the subaru market to other enthusiasts.. I mean comon, we have the Impreza, Impreza WRX, Impreza STi, Legacy, and Forester, all STi motor swapable as well as AWD, why not have a STi RWD Subaru monster in the line up. it'll be eligable to be a drift car, and RWD touring events.. Subaru VS. BMW..?

Hyundai is making a RWD car.. Genesis coupe..

Nissan - 240, 280, 300, 350, 370 Z's & ZX's, Infinity G's

Toyota - Supra, IS's, soon to be FT-86

KIA- beat.

Honda - S2000 discontinued in 2010, but is now a legendary vehicle.

Volvo- im not sure, not a volvo guy

BMW - all.. besides XI's

Mercedes - most

Subaru...? None existant in the market share..... Lets make subaru a competitor in ALL aspects of the tuning/motorsport world.

PS. lets face it, subaru is a dying bread in WRC, Peugot, Citrion, Renault are ahead due to their production of hatchbacks for decades.. also their S2000 versions. but Subaru enthusiests said the 5 door STi was "UGLY" too bad hatchbacks rule rallies in europe, and now subaru cant perfect the hatchback, due to idiot perceptions that the STi 5 door was "ugly"

Dont let judgements and bias's rule out another great production car by Fuji Heavy Industry.

marketers view forums...... the subaru comunity shapes the companies decisions in some ways.

i looked at the pictures, and I can't see any front axles, but none of the pics give a clear view of that area. Also, the plaque seems to say that this platform, the platform that underlies the RWD coupe, will also support AWD vehicles. Toyota has already stated that they'll use a stretched version of this chassis for the IS series - maybe they'll have an AWD IS. I'm sure Subaru will use this chassis for other vehicles too.

ive read that the FT-86 is an shortend impreza chassis, which would suit RWD. The 370z's chassis was shortend from the 350, same strategy..?

as for an AWD IS..? would this be an equivelent of a luxury Subaru..? Since Toyota owns 8.5 or 9.5 % of subaru, their not intruding into their own markets per say.. but Id still rather see the Legacy remain the luxury Subaru make.

Here is another angle for the potential of this coupe. Maybe Subaru revised their 4wd layout so that the front diff is ahead of the transmission, thus moving weight further back in the chassis to achieve close to 50/50 weight distribution. Since Subaru 4wd is modular, they could roll this drivetrain over to the next generation of Subarus which would provide for much better balance in future models. Audi did this with the most recent iteration of the A4/A5 platform (it is modular so this will trickle into their larger vehicles) when they relocated the front diff ahead of the transmission and were then able to move the front axle forward about 4".

That said, I would be more than happy with a RWD subaru coupe.

subaru modifying their AWD drivetrain setup would be a fail in my book, even if it would help the distribution.. i say this only because it would make the next gen. subarus, including the toyobaru engine/trannies unswappable into any of the 1993-2010 subarus.

(edit: though the toyobaru shorter chassis would mean a shorter driveshaft if swaped into any impreza)

words from a rs25.com moderator -

I always loved leggos when i was growing up, now i own the coolest one of all.

and that is the best part of owning a subaru.. a 1993 version 1 tranny will fit on a 2010 Impreza, and a 2010 Sti 6 speed will fit on a 1993 Impreza.

That said, I would be more than happy with a RWD subaru coupe.

Ftw.

While I'm dreaming, I'd start with these lines, slant the nose a touch more, soften the bumpers, shorten the back deck a smidge and keep the targa top. Vertical stack headlights can-am style with small units, no wrap around. Double wishbone suspension up front and multi-link rear. Keep it at ~2400lbs and give me the traditional WRX turbo set up with a factory front mount. Don't dress out the interior with a bunch of tibeca wrap around bs either. Give me a real set of gauges and a choice of six speed in either manual or double clutch auto. While your at it give me a keyed switch in the glove box to turn off the ABS. Did I leave any thing out??

Edit: Make that Targa top CF.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Porsche_914_Spring2008.jpg

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

words from a rs25.com moderator -

I always loved leggos when i was growing up, now i own the coolest one of all.

and that is the best part of owning a subaru.. a 1993 version 1 tranny will fit on a 2010 Impreza, and a 2010 Sti 6 speed will fit on a 1993 Impreza.

Ftw.

best thing I've heard in this thread. :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/01/geneva-2011-subarus-rwd-sports-car-getting-2-0-liter-non-turbo

RWD appears to be confirmed now. I'm kind of upset now because both the Toyota and Subaru variants will have RWD and a 2.0l boxer motor that is naturally aspirated. What more than sheet metal will differentiate the two?

Totally agree. For fans of WRX/STI performance, this is total fail. Even 20% lighter than the STI, with maybe 180-190 hp (optimistic here!), it'll be slower than many grocery getters.. I don't think they'll out-Miata the Miata - at least not on their first try.. Genesis Coupe may go to 270hp base (speculation), but even the current 200hp base turbo is easily upgradeable.. If it's just the looks, I'd take the Toyota over the Subaru - because there are at least 10x the number of Toyota dealers around compared to Subaru dealers for service..

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5253/5489206016_da2fe39f19_b.jpg

Toyota is showing off the FT-86 II concept at Geneva. press shots, show floor photos

Toyota took the covers off an FT-86 II concept at the Geneva International Motor Show that it says gives the clearest indication yet of what the FT-86 will look like in its final design.

The FT-86 II shows off more flare than the previous concept with the addition of a gaping front grille accented by what look like LED lights. Out back, there is a more aggressive rear diffuser, and a spoiler makes its way to the deck lid. Usually the more aggressive concept leads the way to a dulled-down production version, but it seems Toyota went the other way with its FT-86.

Archived