LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'd pay 30k for a fully loaded rwd subaru. just make sure it handles good. maybe 2600-800lbs loaded, and H6 tuned for ~300hp. 370z fighter. as much as i want awd, i have accepted the fact that a balanced sports car is faster and more fun to drive.

So then why wouldn't you just buy a 370z? I would. The whole point of getting a Subaru is because it offers AWD, which the competition does not....A RWD coupe is just another drop in the bucket.

No, the whole point of getting a Subaru is loyalty to the brand. If enough people want a 370z with a Subaru badge, Subaru would do well to either build one or rebadge the 370z.

I personally like the styling of many of Nissan's offerings, but their quality problems of a few years ago have shied me away from that brand. Also everybody and their brother, sister, and all their cousins are driving Nissans. I don't want to be a sheep following the herd. I'd rather drive something a little different.

Yeah, it's only Subaru of America and Subaru of Australia that think they have to be all-AWD. The Subaru branches in the rest of the world are a little smarter.

Aren't they just FWD versions of the Impreza or similar?

I'd be curious to see Subaru sales trends in the other countries compared to the US

In Japan they also offer the Pleo, Sambar, Dias, Dex, Lucra, R1, R2, Stella, & Exiga.

I know for certain the R1 comes in both FWD and AWD, not sure of the others, probably mostly FWD, as well as FWD Impreza (not sure of Legacy).

those of you hating on the RWD haven't driven enough lightweight sporty RWD coupes then. s2000 for example, or twin turbo Rx-7. It's just a different feel--especially being lighter. I don't include Miata in that bunch because it is lighter, smaller, and less powerful than this class of car.
On the search for a new DD...

rx7, too old, unreliable

rx8, too weak, needs +80hp

miata, too weak, needs +100hp

s2000, good chassis, wish it was a coupe not convertible, needs +50hp

350z, too heavy

e46 m3, too heavy

370z, too expensive the way i want it, borderline heavy.

what subaru could have done in the first place was say "f.u. toyota, i'm making a cayman s", but its too late for that. ~2800lbs + mid-engined H4 would be super tasty.

I believe it's going to be a shortened Legacy chassis, not full-length.

But then why say Legacy platform, if it even uses Impreza suspension? I mean what part of this car will remain... Legacy... based? And which Legacy is my main question. Hopefully the BL4.

But then why say Legacy platform, if it even uses Impreza suspension? I mean what part of this car will remain... Legacy... based? And which Legacy is my main question. Hopefully the BL4.

found these dimensions

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2009/11/report-subarus-ft-86-sports-car-to-be-bigger-heavier-and-more-powerful.html

It'd be a shortened 5th gen platform. No way they could have a RWD car lay down reasonable power with a previous gen suspension setup, or handle, or pass newer safety regulations.

it also says it WILL be all wheel drive.

Being a Subaru, the 216A will get symmetrical all-wheel drive, which will add roughly 220-lbs. The car will also be slightly larger with a 20mm increase in both height and width, while the wheelbase will gain anywhere from 30m to 50mm.

I have definitely learned about subaru forum dwellers:

a) we will think _new-model-subaru_ will be ugly.

b) we will be disappointed with a lack of features/creature comforts.

c) we will instantly demand and promise to buy a STI version (even if it is the Tribeca...well maybe not...maybe...dunno).

d) we will say it looks like a toyota-honda-hyundai-infiniti-audi-nissan model.

e) we will reminisce in our previously decreed ugly subaru model.

and without question:

f) we will continue to love and purchase Subarus.

The Cobb supercharged 'Beca shoulda gone into production.

Oh, and ^^ d) above, you forgot BMW.

:D

Unfortunately, Cobb found little interest in the supercharger kit they developed for the Tribeca, so they discontinued development and sold off the pieces.

I think they were just too early - there weren't enough Tribeca owners yet to achieve critical mass.

320 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque = Mmmmmm....

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/16/cobb-tuning-takes-wraps-off-supercharged-subaru-b9-tribeca/

it also says it WILL be all wheel drive.

Being a Subaru, the 216A will get symmetrical all-wheel drive, which will add roughly 220-lbs. The car will also be slightly larger with a 20mm increase in both height and width, while the wheelbase will gain anywhere from 30m to 50mm.

Uhm... you do know that the news about that is from 2009 right? The link I posted is much more recent...

There is no AWD.

As far as Impreza, the article states it is based off the Legacy platform...

Archived