LegacyGT.com

New Subaru variant of Subyota Coupe will not get AWD

MarcusDubya77

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uhm... you do know that the news about that is from 2009 right? The link I posted is much more recent...

There is no AWD.

As far as Impreza, the article states it is based off the Legacy platform...

isn't the new impreza based off the legacy platform too?

Uhm... you do know that the news about that is from 2009 right? The link I posted is much more recent...

There is no AWD.

As far as Impreza, the article states it is based off the Legacy platform...

It's not based directly off the Legacy platform. It's based directly off of the current Impreza's platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Impreza platform is the Legacy platform is the Impreza platform is the Legacy platform

You are correct; however, the 2005 Legacy platform was modified and stretched into the 2006 Tribeca to incorporate a double wishbone suspension. This was modified into the basis for all forthcoming Subarus. Impreza/Forester is similar, but different from Outback/Legacy. the FT86 is a modified version of the Impreza iteration.

Length:

FT86: 163.78 inches

2008 Impreza 5 door: 173.1 inches

2009 Legacy: 185.0 inches

2010 Legacy: 186.4 inches

Width:

FT86: 69.29 inches

2008 Impreza 5 door: 68.5 inches

2009 Legacy: 68.10 inches

2010 Legacy: 71.7 inches

Height:

FT86: 48.19 inches

2008 Impreza 5 door: 58.1 inches

2009 Legacy: 56.10 inches

2010 Legacy: 59.3 inches

Wheelbase:

FT86: 101.18 inches

2008 Impreza 5 door: 103.1 inches

2009 Legacy: 105.1 inches

2010 Legacy: 108.3 inches

Wheelbase to length:

FT86: 62.1%

2008 Impreza 5 door: 59.5%

2009 Legacy: 56.8%

2010 Legacy: 58.1%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you look at the FT86 Toyota has been showing off with the hood up, you can see that the engine is way too far back for there to be an AWD variant. The car was designed with a better weight distribution in mind, not AWD.

I'd still buy it. Subaru is more than just an AWD system to me.

That's what most of us are saying - that Subaru is more than just AWD, but we have a few folks that can't see beyond Subaru's short-term decision to offer only AWD in US and Australia.

They've been AWD and FWD in most markets, and were AWD and FWD in the US until about 1995, so:

25 years of offering both FWD and AWD, then only 15 years of offering only AWD in the US, and now they're offering only 1 RWD model, and some get all up-in-arms about it saying it's the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

The real question is which will cost more??

and I doubt you will see many of these running through the snow so the AWD is not a huge issue

its true though that its subaru's branding and thats why i dont think they should make a version of the toyobaru, just make toyota pay out the ass for it

Let toyota take the horizontal cylinder design putting it into a ballin sports car.

but make sure everyone knows that its powered by a subaru engine

Are you talking about the cladding? I don't see any hunchback built into the sheet metal. What's disturbing is that it looks like the hood scoop is covered, not functional. Even a test mule would need to flow air over the intercooler, if it's running a turbo engine.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Are you talking about the cladding? I don't see any hunchback built into the sheet metal. What's disturbing is that it looks like the hood scoop is covered, not functional. Even a test mule would need to flow air over the intercooler, if it's running a turbo engine.

toyotas Base model isnt Turbo might just be a non turbo test mule. And theres nothing official that says the base Subi version will be turbo either, just speculation at this point.

Based on the size of the tailpipe and the blocked scoop it appears this is more then likely the case.

I expect that Subaru will offer both turbo and non-turbo models, just as they do with the rest of their line-up. They need all the CAFE help they can get!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Having studied the pix more carefully, I think this is just a 'mule', something cobbled together using existing bodywork just to test the powertrain. If you look at the side-view you can see the outline of rear doors from the donor vehicle - looks like maybe a WRX rear end (sedan?) that has been shortened. That also looks like a modified WRX front end. So I'm thinking now that none of these body panels are representative of the production vehicle.

Previous rumors had suggested that the Subie and the Toyota would actually share sheetmetal, with just the front and rear end treatments different, which I think is very plausible. And this test vehicle obviously looks absolutely nothing like the FT-86 show car.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Test cladding...

I will reserve judgement until final sheetmetal appears.

Subaru has a chance to build a real beast of car. SOA will probably suck and ruin the whole thing, but the potential is there

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/09/subarucoupe.d2.kgp.ed.jpg

Archived