LegacyGT.com

Yet another HID Kit Review: APEXCONE Raptor V2

alaskajoel

^ Just to check, you used this precise walk-through, correct?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2117&highlight=drl

If so, then, as a further check, did you pull the panel, to insure that you got the correct connector?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Properly aimed, I don't think that they're obnoxiously bright. I've never been flashed or anything of that sort... however, I've been told that they lit up the road much better than the 35w kits that my friend had used.

edit: I think it's also important to make sure you do something about the squirrel finders... at the bare minimum you should bend down the flaps but ideally you should get a high temp material like QuikSteel and fill in the gap (it helps to have a friend with long fingers if you're not willing to open up the headlight using a heatgun/oven and can't reach the flap yourself)

i think its fine. its good difference from 35watt, but not that you'll melt everyone's eyeballs, unless of course they look directly into the light LOL.

i'm just curious how these $30 kits are holding up so far. my brother is looking for some for his 09wrx. we are just waiting for more reviews. if they are good, why get $100+ ones right?

here is my 55watt 5000k kit, DIGITAL brand. excellent reliability, has been about 1yr, starts up everytime, but more expensive.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7276/dsc07032m.jpg

^ :( I wonder - do you remember any outstanding details about that thread/post you read, where there was another '05 owner who had the same trouble as you. Any strange or uncommon words in the post/thread which may help the search engine?

---

^ For an 09 LGT, do you need to disable DRL for the HID's and if so... I know there is a walk through somewhere on here for this but couldn't find it. Any help is appreciated.

^ I can't remember which year - '07 or '08 - that Subaru switched DRL to the high-beam element on the BL/BP, but that's what will determine whether you "need" to disable DRL for the HID.

You don't want your HID to share the same element as the DRL.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Nice, you found it!!! (I wonder why my search parameters didn't work? :confused:)

----

05-07, the DRL were on the low-beam. 08-09, even 10, have the DRL on the highbeam.

^ Thankyee. :)

Yes, thank you for the information, since the DRL's run off the high beams, would that mean that lows and fogs HID's wonn't be affected by the DRL's?:confused: :confused: Also has anyone figured out an easy mod for disabeling the DRL's on an 09?:confused:
habitual derail-er

Yes, thank you for the information, since the DRL's run off the high beams, would that mean that lows and fogs HID's wonn't be affected by the DRL's?:confused: :confused:

That should be correct.

Also has anyone figured out an easy mod for disabeling the DRL's on an 09?:confused:

^ There is a thread for the 2007 - which some have reported success with the 2008, too, but I am not sure abot the 2009:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42292

UPDATE: 4 weeks and still running strong. Passenger light flickers on cold startup but burns strong once it warms up. No notable problems to date.

Actually I am a bit confusing with this "Apexcone Raptor V2 from DDM Tuning" with the one from "Xenon Depot DDM Kit". What is DDM? Is it just a name? Can someone explain to me?

DDM tuning is a vendor of these bulbs, but they also have their own in-house brand of HIDs that are slightly more expensive. DDM sells Apexcone and DDM, other vendors have been known to sell DDM.

On the search for a new DD...

The 3 kits I have purchased (on 2 different orders) have all looked like the pictures in my original post

at 1st i thought it was because i had 35w kits but another member stated his 35w kit looks like yours :confused:

if so i assume they bit off more than they can chew and bought some generic brand...

i guess i cant complain that much as i paid $30 just a little peeved but ill live.

lucas, i just got mine in the mail, looks exactly like urs

^^^Ditto on the second order I received for my Mazda and Chevy. Generic looking ballasts, not the hi shine and laser etched ones like the OP has posted.

I called DDM to see if the ballasts were different for different vehicles and he said NO, same internals as my Subie kits, will work the same, just different look. All 5 of my kits are the 55W (3 look like this threads ballasts, 2 look like the new--generic ballasts). All have functioned the same......so far.......

Archived