LegacyGT.com

Yet another HID Kit Review: APEXCONE Raptor V2

alaskajoel

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just ordered these! How hard is this install 1-10? Ive seen some say its super easy but im worried about the drilling into the cap part. (i can be a screw up at times) Sorry if it's a stupid question. Im such a noob to this forum

thanks nemo! you rock!

on a side i love the 4500k 55w kit, i can see way better than the 35w kit!

also, dont know about anyone else but mine flicker for a few seconds on startup, not a big deal but just want to let people know.

i noticed a LITTLE flicker too when i started them up to take the picture on my garage doors. it was only for maybe a full one second. it really wasn't even like a flicker -- but a distortion of the light

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

just ordered these! How hard is this install 1-10? Ive seen some say its super easy but im worried about the drilling into the cap part. (i can be a screw up at times) Sorry if it's a stupid question. Im such a noob to this forum

it's really easy. just get a 1" spade bit, and drill a hole thru the center. you might have to make it slightly larger to get the harness through (i just worked it with the spade bit, worked fine).

the hardest part is finding a place to mount the ballasts. really.

^ if you were going to do both fogs and low beams, it has been recommended that you use wiring harnesses.

just my .02

Red: Are you running this set-up made by Apexcone, with both HID kits at once???

I don't recall anyone who is running this exact kit, both lows and fogs that has required the harness.

I don't think a fair comparison can be made between this kit and other kits and past experience from different vehicles jumping into the LGT fitment.

I'd like to hear from the LGT folks who are actually running both lows and fogs and ARE running the harness and why??? Versus, how many are running both low and fogs without the harness and how consistent the kits fire up.

^

Doc, that is just what was recommended to me, and it wasn't by the vendor, I will be running both fogs (35W) and low beams (55W), I just want to do it in fail safe way, though there is no such thing, but I like to think it reduces the odds of having any issues. As a note though, I haven't seen/heard anything about people having problems on the LGT with two HID kits and no harnesses...

as I said before just my $.02

habitual derail-er

Just a bit frustrating hearing comments from the peanut gallery by folks thinking of running the kit and making suggestions that entirely come from reading other's posts and not by practical experience.

I for one am running both low and fogs, 55w 6K low and 35w 6K fogs, WITHOUT a harness and have been since January, not a single issue. And that was based on the OP's suggestion to go without the harness as I am not running any aftermarket sound equipment in my set-up. **( in addition, I own 5 of these Apexcone HID kits: 8K LGT low backup kit, 55W 5K in a 99Mazda and 55w 5K in a 93 suburban. No issues and very happy customer!)**

^

comments.... you mean opinions, everyone is entitled to their own, and if you were going to be putting in any after market sound, video etc... It would save you some time in the future of having to harness the lights.

I am glad all of your kits are working out for you.

habitual derail-er

Ordered my lows (55w 6k) and fogs (35w 3k) over a week ago. Still no tracking number. Called but its been going straight to answering machine. Hm... Anyway I've had an issue with my old set of HID's through xenon expert (35w 6k) lights only turn on when the car is off or ebrake is up when the car is on. I've checked my wiring a couple of times over, but can't seem to find anything. I have the wiring harness but not installed. Maybe i'm blind. Anyone have this problem? hopefuly it will go away with the new kit.

im sure they are on the way, I just ordered mine yesterday with no tracking number either im thinking a little over a week maybe 2 at the most, it sounds like these are flying off the shelf they may need some time to catch up with orders. remember its coming from the west coast..

try emailing them if you are really concerned..

^ i didn't get a tracking number, either. i just checked my order number with the DDM website. on the right side they tell you what order range they are processing. mine came a few days after mine was in the range.

Just a bit frustrating hearing comments from the peanut gallery by folks thinking of running the kit and making suggestions that entirely come from reading other's posts and not by practical experience.

I for one am running both low and fogs, 55w 6K low and 35w 6K fogs, WITHOUT a harness and have been since January, not a single issue. And that was based on the OP's suggestion to go without the harness as I am not running any aftermarket sound equipment in my set-up. **( in addition, I own 5 of these Apexcone HID kits: 8K LGT low backup kit, 55W 5K in a 99Mazda and 55w 5K in a 93 suburban. No issues and very happy customer!)**

^

comments.... you mean opinions, everyone is entitled to their own, and if you were going to be putting in any after market sound, video etc... It would save you some time in the future of having to harness the lights.

I am glad all of your kits are working out for you.

--

In all honesty, the bickering on the harness is un-necessary.

Each unique vehicle - "your" Legacy versus "my" Legacy versus "his" Legacy - is a bit different.

Would you believe that some '05 LGTs are still on their factory incandescent bulbs: the very same bulb that they rolled off the factory floor with?

Why do some LGTs require jacking of the engine to clear the UP for removal, and others not?

Why is it that some see enough electrical noise within the cabin wiring that such will set off false-alerts on their RADAR/LASER detectors, but others never have that problem?

The truth of the matter is that the problems associated with having insufficient power to fire one or both - or more - of the typical aftermarket HID systems is not uncommon. No, it doesn't necessarily extend to all vehicles of our generation/chassis, but there's definitely more than a handful, and we have more than enough data points in the community, which has been here and has logged such entries since 2004, to say that yes, this *can* be a concern.

But does this necessarily mean that everyone should just buy a harness?

Certainly, no - as there are also plenty of vehicles on which many of these kits, even when running more than one (i.e. low + fog) set, do not create any problems.

There's really no need to get into an argument over this, or to think any more or less of anyone for maintaining one stance or another. It's simply a by-product of unique end-variations which no-one can fully account for: maybe your Legacy has a slightly more stout or slightly weaker charging system than the next person's, or maybe your wiring runs "cleaner" to your headlamps than another person's - or maybe the kit(s) you have happen to be of slightly tighter tolerance than the other guy's.

All that's needed is for everyone who heads into this kind of a project to understand what the potential pitfalls are, what problems may arise - i.e. flickering and non-ignition - and to understand how to solve them - i.e. use a (single, or more) harness(es); or for those who either prefer a failsafe or to not have the trouble of having to go under the hood again (such as those who pay others for their installs, and would rather that this be a one-shot deal) - oh, and BTW, having the harness doesn't *guaranty* you still won't see any problems, there are more than a handful who still see non-ignition of one or more of their HIDs in extreme-cold-weather situations, and yes, some of those also have a new battery and an otherwise trouble-free electrical system.

There's really no right or wrong here.

There's a bit of need (based on unique variability), and a bit of personal preference, that's all.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ i didn't get a tracking number, either. i just checked my order number with the DDM website. on the right side they tell you what order range they are processing. mine came a few days after mine was in the range.

i must be missing somthing i do not see where you are talking about on the right side..

I just bought some 55W slims for $60 shipped to the door for DDM motorsports. AWESOME!!! lifetime warrenty.

i must be missing somthing i do not see where you are talking about on the right side..

http://i44.tinypic.com/fcsbia.jpg

they should have sent you an order number when you ordered --- compare that number to what they are showing on the site. i got my kit a few days after my number was in the range.

Almost a month after ordering and no lights. Without contacting them myself, I would never know what is going on with my order. There customer service/customer interface/customer notification blows. I understand that they are busy, but as a professional business I think that this is unacceptable... I am not hating on the product, and I understand it is a great deal, and I have no problem waiting for it, but the lack of communication from DDM sucks...
habitual derail-er

FOOT IN MOUTH!!!!

5 minutes after I wrote the above ^, I got an order shipment notification... My order number was something 586--.

Anywho it seems like it has shipped, and will be here next week... I hope it is like everyone says, that they are worth the wait.

habitual derail-er

Got a question. I've had mine in for about 2 weeks now with no real issues, until tonight. I went to middletown, then manchester, helping a friend move. Leaving middletown, the drivers side bulb didn't ignite. it flashed when i turned the lights on but didn't come on. no biggie, i'll just follow the moving truck with one bulb and take care of it when i get home.

going to leave manchester, NEITHER would ignite. turn the lights on, both would flash for a split second and not come on. I had the joy of trying to fix this on the side of the road in manchester, and was unsuccessful in finding anything wrong.

got fed up and decided to drive home with the fogs only, hoping i wouldn't get pulled over. Tried one last time and the pass side ignited. Got home (columbia) and while pulling in my driveway turned off the lights and back on - both turned on. Pulled into the garage and tried several times to repeat them not coming on and couldn't do it.

Thoughts? Ballast maybe faulty? No idea. This is the 55W 6000k kit. the only other thing of note is that each morning when i start the car, the lights turn on and flash very bright, then dim, and come back up after a couple seconds. I figured this was normal; but now i'm not sure.

Archived