LegacyGT.com

Yet another HID Kit Review: APEXCONE Raptor V2

alaskajoel

Ok so got the lights in approx. 15 days after ordering. Lights and ballasts looked great out of the box. Only took about 45 minutes to install as it was totally plug and play with just some time spent figuring out where to mount the ballasts. Fired right up with no problems. Absolutely love the lights. I have been running them for a week now and barely use my high beams anymore. The light output is great and the temperature is perfect. I am so impressed with the kit and the results that I just ordered a set for my fogs. Can't beat the price. i should have done this months ago> I will post pics when I have had time to transfer them from my phone. Before people ask my setup is below.

55w Raptor Large Ballast H7 6000K ( Not running a harness) Car is 2008 LGT Limited

If you have questions feel free to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine in and installed them, had them for 2 days, and GOOD GOD they are bright. They seem to be pretty fine with the stock projectors, install was straightforward, I just need to find better mounting locations for the ballasts.

It took less than a week from when I ordered the kit to when it arrived at my house. My ballasts are the same good looking shiny ones that the OP posted in his original post.

The only problem I had was that one of the clips on the connectors snapped off as I was connecting two of the wires, but nothing a little duct tape couldn't fix.

My first impressions tell me that I would recommend this kit to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, here's what I got:

1 set DDM Raptors 55w 4500k bulbs

1 set Morimoto 3Five 4300k bulbs

This experiment has been done with only the 55w Raptor ballasts. A few questions: Is there that much of a difference in 200k? Could it be the DDM's aren't really 4500k? Or is it because the Morimoto bulbs are rated only for 35w ballasts (as stated over at the TRS page)?

I've read somewhere that the wattage doesn't depend on the bulb, but on the ballasts; is this true? Or are certain bulbs 'capped' to 35w?

Gonna wait until I get new caps to drill to permanently run these HIDs. I did the clean install (without drilling) with my previous DDM slim kit, but this time, I want to make it easier to swap bulbs in and out :cool:

Comparison shots, sorry, I don't own a fancy shmancy camera :redface: :

First is with Osram H7 65w bulbs

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112964&stc=1&d=1329944037

Next, is a comparison shot between the DDM and Morimoto bulbs respectively with 55w Raptor ballasts

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112965&stc=1&d=1329944037

Bulb comparison side by side; Morimoto/DDM

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112966&stc=1&d=1329944037

Broken clips of the DDM, er, wires :spin:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112967&d=1329943657

IMAG0010.thumb.jpg.e0239287f27b3e245552ab3db855affa.jpg

IMAG0008.thumb.jpg.50bb25c42ddfd41022a249ba83a52416.jpg

IMAG0009.thumb.jpg.947b34a2b9cd8ea687f5e609191786c8.jpg

IMAG0011.thumb.jpg.118352fe08b34acd3101ba54793e01f8.jpg

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been enjoying my 55W Raptor Kit for the last 2.5 years. The bulb is getting dim and discolour. I think I need new bulb.

I believe the ballast can fit either 35w or 55w, anyone can confirm that?

any brand name product would have 55w? all brand name (philips/osram) only has 35w?

35W would not be as bright as my 55w stock?

I have been enjoying my 55W Raptor Kit for the last 2.5 years. The bulb is getting dim and discolour. I think I need new bulb.

any brand name product would have 55w? all brand name (philips/osram) only has 35w?

OK. DDM said I can fit either 55W or 35W bulb on to my 55W ballast.

Other than DDM, where can I find good 55W?

All high end brands makes only 35W bulbs. In fact a 55W kit uses also 35W bulbs but overdrives them which often causes premature bulb failure. Any bulb will fit your kit.

Guys,

Just orderd my 55W DDM kit. Coming in from China. I have a 35W DDM kit on my motorcycle for the past two years, so hopefully I will have the same reliability for the car.

My question is, did everyone who did the HID conversion disable the DRL's? Also, did you guys need to re-aim the headlamps afterwards?

Your '08 has the updated headlights, where the DRLs are separate from the main projectors so, no, you do not have to disable the DRLs.

Personally, I haven't had to re-aim my headlights at all. YMMV, of course.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

• 2 years later...
So has anyone had any problems with these so far? Mainly with the lifespan Just a little skeptical with the price. And I don't want to have to constantly be replacing bulbs and ballasts. How long has everyone had these installed??

I took mine out when I sold my LGT 18 months ago. They went into a family member's car, and haven't had a problem whatsoever after 5 years. They still fire every time, even without a harness.

Archived