LegacyGT.com

Yet another HID Kit Review: APEXCONE Raptor V2

alaskajoel

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious but if I order the kit from DDM, does it come with the rubber grommet to seal the hole that we have to drill in the cap? Judging by the picture posted by 5throw it does but I just want to make sure since I've ordered the 55w kit and I don't know whether I need to find a place that sells the grommet or not.

Just curious but if I order the kit from DDM, does it come with the rubber grommet to seal the hole that we have to drill in the cap? Judging by the picture posted by 5throw it does but I just want to make sure since I've ordered the 55w kit and I don't know whether I need to find a place that sells the grommet or not.

It definitely does.

"This is an adventure."

its pretty much plug n play, hard to mess up! :lol: btw how long was turnaround after payment???

Yeah I realized that once I got the hood open. I felt stupid for asking. Install was as simple as it gets. Lights look awesome. Iam very impressed.

Turn around from order to my door was less than 2 weeks. Order confirmation to shipping notice was around a week and then 3 days for shipping

Anyone running the 35 watt ballasts? I'm really hesitant to go with the 55 watt as I dont live in the super back roads with no street lighting, and dont want to totally blind people.

If the 55 watt ballasts are beefier and more solid, I guess it's worth it. How bright is 55 watt compared to 35?

"This is an adventure."

Ah, I hope not. I just got my 55w kit delivered today (ordered it on Monday) on the recommendation of the OP... I'm seriously hoping it won't be too bright or too blue (6000K) since I read somewhere that 55w kits essentially kick down the color temperature a notch.

is there a difference in the bulbs for 35watt vs 55watt ballast?

I already have hid for low beam but want to get some for fogs (3000k)

can i just buy the 55watt ballast with the fog light bulbs and switch the ballast so my current 35watt will be for fogs and 55watt for low beam? the connectors are the same just wondering if there is a difference in the bulbs

thanks

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

is there a difference in the bulbs for 35watt vs 55watt ballast?

I already have hid for low beam but want to get some for fogs (3000k)

can i just buy the 55watt ballast with the fog light bulbs and switch the ballast so my current 35watt will be for fogs and 55watt for low beam? the connectors are the same just wondering if there is a difference in the bulbs

thanks

it will work but the bulb wont last as long and you might experience some flickering etc. Few people actually do this, but since HIDs are so cheap most dont bother.

it will work but the bulb wont last as long and you might experience some flickering etc. Few people actually do this, but since HIDs are so cheap most dont bother.

flickering with 55w ballast w/ 35w bulb?

and/or

flickering with 35w ballst w/ 55w bulb?

would a wiring harness help with flickering, if so 55w ballast and/or 35w ballast?

thanks for your help

trying to save money so i can save up for other mods :p

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I like my 55w 8000k. Installed them the other night they arent too blue in my opinion. Just a shade bluer than stock 4300k. And from in the car they look pure white and not blue at all.

8000k! :eek:

i dont want to hurt the performance/safety of my lighting. To each his own i guess...

flickering with 55w ballast w/ 35w bulb?

and/or

flickering with 35w ballst w/ 55w bulb?

would a wiring harness help with flickering, if so 55w ballast and/or 35w ballast?

thanks for your help

trying to save money so i can save up for other mods :p

I think either way you go, you'll have a shortage of life for the bulb being that they are not getting the appropriate power..you'll be under powering or over powering..

you will save money in the long run buying matching the ballast/bulb power..

do a basic search with google..youll see links for people who have done this

UPDATE: Just installed mine, I bought 55W 6000K for both low beams and fog lights. DDM was right when they said 55W will wash out the color to a step below, because these lights appear just a shade bluer than OEM HIDS, so probably the equivalent of 5000K. Also, I think there needs to be a more extensive write up on how to wire up HID fogs, I had to basically cut the connector off the back of the housing. Anyways, all 4 lights worked on the first try, and the headlights are now insanely bright. The difference in lighting output between the factory bulbs and 55W HIDs is literally night and day. I have never had this much visibility driving at night. The factory bulbs are so weak they should be considered a safety hazard. These bulbs - they may push out too much light for some, but I coulndt be happier
On the search for a new DD...

8000k! :eek:

i dont want to hurt the performance/safety of my lighting. To each his own i guess...

Not sure that I understand how i am hurting the performance or safety of my lighting? If you are refering to color temp. hurting the safety of my lighting them you might as well go knock every person with 35w 5000k or 6000k cause the 55w washes out almost all of the blue.

But to each his own...

i have o-nex 6k HID kit for my 08 LGT. i bought it for $300 when they first came out. 2 years later, my driver side bulb burnt out.:mad: they work pretty well other than it being burnt out so quickly. can i use a replacement hid bulb from another manufacturer with the o-nex ballasts? have anyone tried using different manufacturer bulbs with another manufacturer's ballasts or do i have to buy a kit?

i have o-nex 6k HID kit for my 08 LGT. i bought it for $300 when they first came out. 2 years later, my driver side bulb burnt out.:mad: they work pretty well other than it being burnt out so quickly. can i use a replacement hid bulb from another manufacturer with the o-nex ballasts? have anyone tried using different manufacturer bulbs with another manufacturer's ballasts or do i have to buy a kit?

Yea you can use other bulbs, just make sure you get the same wattage bulb/ballast and youll be fine.

Update: 6000k 55w isn't completely ricetastic but still pretty blue in my opinion. If I ever needed to buy another kit, I'd definitely stick with 5000k as my upper limit... otherwise everything seems pretty good.

Couldnt disagree more. The 55W definitely washes out the color. When looking at the lights from an outside perspective, they appear bluish, but I barely get a hint of blue when I am actually driving, just appears VERY white. When compared to halogens they are very different in color though (AKA my hyper white high-beams look yellowish in comparison)

Ok, so what seems to be the consensus here? 55w 6K bulbs for dim and 35w 3K bulbs for fog? I'd throw $70 at that and write up a review if thats the case...

I did 55W 6K for both low beams and fogs (read some members have run 55W in the fogs with no problems for several years). Maybe the 3K bulbs help more in fog, but i HATE yellow lights. So far this setup helped out significantly in the snow we just had in NC. I expected more glare, but these lights allowed me to see in the snow even. Before, I could barely see sh!t in the rain, nevermind snow.

On the search for a new DD...

^ I think this post is more indicative of your eye/brain "preference" for whiter light.

Different people "see" differently - and it's important to tailor your vehicle's lighting to your preferences (and at the same time, realize, also, your preferred setup's quantitative limitations).

Me, for example, I actually prefer "yellower" light. I feel much more comfortable with the output of the +65 incandescent solutions - such as the Osram Hyper - versus even the drastic increase in light-on-road of a 55W 4300K plug-and-play setup (and this is cross-validated when comparing night-time preferences between my wife's '09 FXT, fitted also with a +65 low-beam solution, versus a current-generation Lexus RX; and as a side note, I've kept going with the 55W 4300K HID, as I require the bump in absolute light output more than comfort in foul weather, which I can retain/recover from my use of yellow/amber fogs as well as for long-distance, with HIR highs).

Nevertheless, I well understand that my perception of comfort and increased driving confidence with the yellow fogs are a false security - that quantitatively speaking, there's just not as much light-on-road, and that, again quantitatively speaking, there's no increase in driver safety/performance to be had, from such.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived