LegacyGT.com

Yet another HID Kit Review: APEXCONE Raptor V2

alaskajoel

Yes, and no it wasn't raining. We had a crazy amount of rain friday / saturday / sunday but yesterday and today were dry.

I'll double check the wiring tomorrow when i get a chance. It's frivolously easy, but i'm also trying to get the autocross car ready for the season.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the only other thing of note is that each morning when i start the car, the lights turn on and flash very bright, then dim, and come back up after a couple seconds. I figured this was normal; but now i'm not sure.

That's normal as far as i know. I put the DDM slim ballast kit on my 08 cbr 600rr and it did that every time i started it. That's what i'm basing my opinion on.

hey i got my hid's in yesterday, i whent to go takel this and grabed the wrong size hole saw (too big) and screwed the whole project up - so now im waiting to get new dust caps from subie. my question is there is this black peice thats on the harness after the gromet right before the protective cap that i cant figure out if i need it or not, but theres no way its fitting through a 1" hole in the dust cap. anyone know if and how im suposed to remove the black peice, im at work now i can get pics of it in a couple days if need be, but if all the kits are the same yall should know what im talking about.. im assuming i remove it but the plastic is pretty industrial i would need a dremel to cut it off..

After speaking with some of the folks over at DDM Tuning, I decided to go with the 55 watt setup over the 35 watt setup for a few reasons. The 55w ballasts are slightly larger than the 35w ballasts because the components are built better so as to sustain the increased electrical demands.

This post is about 18 pages late, but I had a similar discussion with DDM about their original (non-Raptor) ApexCone HIDs, and posted my review here. After a year of running them and occasionally leaving the headlight switch in the "on" position, I have never had a failure-to-fire out of the 55W ApexCone kit. (Knock on wood.)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/review-apexcone-55w-hid-08-107382.html?t=107382

Good to hear that your experience is the same.

I just bough a set of the 55w 6000k hid's and i am very pleased so far. Super fast shipping (2 days and im from north dakota!) I have come across a small problem though. It seems as the my passenger side bulb seems to not be as bright as my driver side. What is the reason for this? ballast issue? Bulb issue? electrical?

Im a noob so any info will help.

Thanks

I just bough a set of the 55w 6000k hid's and i am very pleased so far. Super fast shipping (2 days and im from north dakota!) I have come across a small problem though. It seems as the my passenger side bulb seems to not be as bright as my driver side. What is the reason for this? ballast issue? Bulb issue? electrical?

Im a noob so any info will help.

Thanks

Step 1: swap the bulbs side-for-side. If the problem moves, it is a bad bulb. If there is no change...

Step 2: swap the ballasts side-for-side. If the problem moves, it is a bad ballast. If there is still no change...

Step 3 is to use a relay harness to upgrade current to the far assembly. Current drops over distance, so some owners have had issues with the passenger light firing. Some others have had no such issue.

I went with the relay harness right from the beginning, but others without the harness have had no issues. I went with the "better safe than sorry" approach to my initial install.

Does anyone have these on a 2010 legacy that would like to take some pictures of the spread and cutoff beam patter. I'm trying to see if its even worth ripping the headlight apart to do a full Retro? Also wondering if these are anything close to the OEM Phillips ballasts on most hid equipped vehicles?

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know what it is with my slim ballasts... I started off with the wiring harness addon from the kickoff. Installed my 1st HID set on my subi, had problems with the driver ballast within 2weeks not firing up on the 1st try.. On/Off/On would usually fire it up. Swapped ballast from pass over to driver and works great first fire up like 4 different times so it wasnt the bulb. Got a new ballast one a week later, plugged it in. Drove for about 8days everything great and this one is totally out now, wont attempt to even flicker/ingite my bulb or anything. I think i might go with the Raptor V2 style since i never had problems with orginal/larger HIDs.

This probably isnt caused by the harness either... Why? It happened/wouldnt ingnite with or without the harness using the oem wiring as well.

^ You say "probably isn't the harness" - but have you tried swapping that, or the potentially problematic relay, out? ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 3 weeks later...
Just a heads up, when they sent me the tracking number it read for fed ex. That was a mistake. It was actually shipped by usps. They said it was some kind of a glitch on the website. Peace out

Ok, so my driver's side H7 died (again!). I'm expecting passenger side to go in 3-4 months. Figured it might be time to look into HID.

What I like to do is leave my lights on all the time, since it's required by law now in CA when raining anyway, plus I just like to have my lights on all the time.

One thread I read seemed to imply this is a no-no with HIDs? Do I need to turn off my lights everytime before I re-start the car? What about turning it off? I'll probably never remember to turn off my lights before I turn off the car..

Ok, so my driver's side H7 died (again!). I'm expecting passenger side to go in 3-4 months. Figured it might be time to look into HID.

What I like to do is leave my lights on all the time, since it's required by law now in CA when raining anyway, plus I just like to have my lights on all the time.

One thread I read seemed to imply this is a no-no with HIDs? Do I need to turn off my lights everytime before I re-start the car? What about turning it off? I'll probably never remember to turn off my lights before I turn off the car..

I've had these for almost 5 months now, and always have my headlights on. I usually forget to turn them off, and have yet to encounter a problem. This type of laziness usually killed off my previous kits within a month or two.:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got the kit 2 weeks ago and went ahead and installed them today. Took about 3 hours for me :redface: but I could not figure out how to take the light bulb out from the protective case so I ended up breaking it as i wasn't sure what to do. Other then that all went ok and they work like a charm. Now I just gotta wait for night to see how cool they look.

Where do most people hide the ballasts?

Well I got the kit 2 weeks ago and went ahead and installed them today. Took about 3 hours for me :redface: but I could not figure out how to take the light bulb out from the protective case so I ended up breaking it as i wasn't sure what to do. Other then that all went ok and they work like a charm. Now I just gotta wait for night to see how cool they look.

Where do most people hide the ballasts?

On the passenger side theres a flat area right under/next to the headlight.

On the drivers side I put it near the battery, close to where the hood would close. At first I put it on top of the windshield washer tank but I saw some water on the ballast a few days later so I moved it.

I wonder if any of you have had the problem I'm having. My driver's side actually has a "yellowish" spot that shows up on a wall plus the illumination is actually less than my 35W ddm kit that I have on my bike. Very strange. I already submitted a ticket with DDM about it, but not sure why this would happen. Both lights have a slight yellowing that shows up, but especially the driver's side. I have a 6000k kit aswell. I'll post some pics here in a moment. Its hard to tell about the yellow due to the lighting correction on my camera. I do have a pic that I took head on from around 3-4 ft off the ground and it shows where the yellow comes out. Higher or lower than that level and the color looks right.

^08-09 dont need to disable DRL since it doesnt use the low beam bulb for it like the 05-07 does.

I just ordered a 55W 6000K kit for my 07 last night, having issues with my Alumina 35W kit right now. I'll report back once they arrive and installed.

Archived