LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

Yeah this is for the drivers side Vent made for USDM LGTs. By making this for the vent it allows flexibility for those with NAV to be included this go around.

I think the location is pretty sweet, but we'll see what the beta testers say.

Guess Ill have to start putting my wallet in my other rear pocket to straighten my seating position a lil bit. As I sit now, i wouldnt be able to see the right most LED/OLED... but its not like your supposed to stare at this thing all the time anyway so no biggie.

Cant wait to see the finished product and how much it costs!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess Ill have to start putting my wallet in my other rear pocket to straighten my seating position a lil bit. As I sit now, i wouldnt be able to see the right most LED/OLED... but its not like your supposed to stare at this thing all the time anyway so no biggie.

Cant wait to see the finished product and how much it costs!

Staring at it, would probably be a bad idea!

But i cannot wait to see what your finished product looks like. So far i really liked the idea and design of the one in the center dash. Took over my "instant mpg". At this point its not accurate anyways! haha

How about some preview pics of the hardware?

This looks outstanding.

TWO requests:

1) You mentioned that the brightness is adjustable... could it be tied in with the car's brightness controller (it is very close to this vent already).

2) And this is probably more important for me -- the colors of the LEDs are extremely important. The OLED displays match perfectly with the standard colors and layout in the LGT, but the bright red LEDs seem to stand out just a bit. I would prefer either blue LEDs or just dimmer red LEDs so that this display doesn't stand out above everything else in the car. The closer you can make this look to being a factory option the better.

This is great work! I look forward to the final product!

lol

Boy, how do you get on the list of Beta Testers?

I will make a post when we are ready to beta test...were getting closer. Software is coming along nicely. Will post some more pics/video soon.

You mentioned that the brightness is adjustable... could it be tied in with the car's brightness controller (it is very close to this vent already).

Your right, the illumination control module is inches away from the vent. I may do this actually. The illumination control output is 0-5V and I think that is standard over the 05-09 models.

And this is probably more important for me -- the colors of the LEDs are extremely important. The OLED displays match perfectly with the standard colors and layout in the LGT, but the bright red LEDs seem to stand out just a bit. I would prefer either blue LEDs or just dimmer red LEDs so that this display doesn't stand out above everything else in the car. The closer you can make this look to being a factory option the better.

I think you will find the final version of led red and intensity will closely match the stock look. The pic with the bright leds was just for test and you will noticed the intensity actually varied led to led.

One feature I'm thinking of adding is a boost profile/history. The display to the right scrolls leftward showing boost profile. You can also see the AFR display option to the Left. Numbers are all test, a graph of AFR sits above.

Here is an example pic.

Thoughts?

DSC05479.thumb.jpg.92f74ece9ed390d9091b3b78e236c8bb.jpg

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

Just had a thought, would it be useful to sample and store AFR while boosting. Currently I plan on implementing a feature that allows you to recall the boost profile history from previous boost sessions. I could also sample AFR at the same time and could recall that - Would it also be useful to see a AFR profile during boost? Or is this just not useful?

Thanks for the input.

I will make a post when we are ready to beta test...were getting closer. Software is coming along nicely. Will post some more pics/video soon.

Here is an example pic.

Thoughts?

Well, I'm sure there's going to be a loooooong line of beta testers to choose from - I want to make sure I'm on that list! The nerd inside of my is getting a chubby from this product, and seeing you develop it.

Just had a thought, would it be useful to sample and store AFR while boosting. Currently I plan on implementing a feature that allows you to recall the boost profile history from previous boost sessions. I could also sample AFR at the same time and could recall that - Would it also be useful to see a AFR profile during boost? Or is this just not useful?

Thanks for the input.

Well, what are the trade-off's? Does the board have enough processing power/memory to handle it? Or the ability to display the required resolution for the information to be useful? Or is it meant to be along the lines of "oh, this is cool, check this out!" kind of thing.

I mean no disrespect, as I have an idea of what goes into a product like this - but if to add the capability, it will:

a) increase development time (programming)

b) increase hardware cost (more memory)

c) sacrifice other capabilities (always tradeoffs)

d) delay release time (constantly making it better)

So, that's food for thought. The project manager side is beating up my nerd sice. :lol:

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

nemo, Almost none of us need a boost gauge.

Haha - so true.

I think that the AFR history would be very nice for quick troubleshooting (aka, to know if you need to hook up the lappy for some serious logging).
Good point.

Looks like I can implement AFR history profiles. I hope to have some more screen shots late this weekend.

UPDATE:

ugh. I was having a hell of a time getting the capacitive touch sensors to work. The interface to the chip was quite complex, a hardware (PCB) error, and on top of that I ordered the wrong chip. Luckily the correct chip was in stock and was delivered Friday.

After all that, the good news is...its working! And it's working quite well actually. After finally getting the interface to work correctly now I'm working on the actual menus the user will interface with.

How about some video?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efbxEn6P3gg]YouTube- Vent Boost Gauge in Development[/ame]