LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

Yeah the buttons are capacitive touch. They are all the way to the right. There are buttons at the top middle and bottom. A little led lights up next to the button you are touching.

FYI - Nice bright sunny day here in VA. Took a noon time drive, this thing seems to be plenty readable even in direct sun-light.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this thing has been riding around in the car (installed) for at least two weeks now. I've been trying to abuse it with lots of AC and then plenty of heat. So far so good! The capacitive touch sensor seem to work good over the full range of temperature I subjected the gauge to. Sometimes cap touch sensors sensitivity changes with temp, humidity and so on, but the chip I'm using does an adaptive correction by sampling capacitance when your not touching it.

This profile display is really neat. I have seen all kinds of plots, steady acceleration - slow rising values, punching it - spikes, To my surprise the automatic transmission is really smooth in terms of holding boost pressure throughout the gear change.

Coincidently - My MPGs are way down.

There is still a few things I need to implement in software. So far there are about 4500 lines of code. Yikes! Big program for me, good thing I'm making backups of this.

I'm also waiting on new black PCB boards. They will help the gauge appear black when the leds are off. Of course it already looks pretty black. The new PCB boards ship the 28th from china I think via Fedex. So early May I should be able to get out 3 Beta units.

The sending unit box design is finished. I built up a few of these. You can see the box in the picture attached. You can also see the cable and how it attaches to the boost gauge. The cable is 18 inches long. There appears to be plenty of room to toss the sending unit near the fuse box and it's also convenient for power.

DSC05823.thumb.jpg.cefbbcffc627eab3bbb3ee6520d95eff.jpg

DSC05830.thumb.jpg.9317d6913adedf278e3834cc44882c21.jpg

DSC05833.thumb.jpg.ffbd3a0222c8bc05284b68cfde9c8105.jpg

DSC05834.thumb.jpg.08906a29506cacf099c27450a1525766.jpg

What language are you writing the code in?? (just curious)

Also, I know that you spoke about an aux input in the past, how is that connected to the board, and what type of inputs will it support?

Thanks!

I'm new to these forums, but I JUST read through this whole thread and WOW! This vent gauge looks just amazing. I've done programming and creating circuit boards in college (no PCBs unfortunately, just old-school soldering), and I KNOW you're having a blast making this thing. :D

Just wanted to add my congradulations and thanks for making this amazing gauge. I don't even have a turbo model and I want this!

How will we interface the LC-1 with it? Some sort of ribbon cable adapter?

If you look at the first picture on the previous page you can see the box has four wires coming out of it. Two wires go to the lc-1. The ribbon cable goes from the display unit to the sending unit only (the box).

Super excited about this!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

BTW, will these come with detailed instructions as well? Also, I know it was mentioned that the first beta units were due at the beginning of may. When will the production models be out? Finally, what other equipment would be needed with this setup (ie. sensors, t-fittings, etc)?

I think you feed it +12v and ground, and plumb in the included pressure sensor for boost. Hook up the wideband (LC-1) if you choose to use it, and you'll be good to go.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

BTW, will these come with detailed instructions as well? Also, I know it was mentioned that the first beta units were due at the beginning of may. When will the production models be out? Finally, what other equipment would be needed with this setup (ie. sensors, t-fittings, etc)?

Detailed manual will be released when the production units start shipping. Beta testers will get their own manual similar to the final version.

Beta units are not out yet. Still putting some final touches on the software.

Final production units to follow after all beta unit feedback.

I think you feed it +12v and ground, and plumb in the included pressure sensor for boost. Hook up the wideband (LC-1) if you choose to use it, and you'll be good to go.

Yup that's right.

....is there a ballpark cost?

Yup 250.

Any end-user customization available? Different splash screens or anything? I'd love it for mine to say "Outback XT" instead of "Legacy GT", or if the "gauges" swept like the SI Drive window does, or something.

SOOOO excited!

A lot of software was finished up this weekend. The main thing left is to program the startup splash screen and or make it configurable. I know a long time ago I promised custom capability but I wanted to make sure I could fit all the "gauge features" into the program memory before cramming it full of large startup code just to look pretty.

BAC5.2 thanks for the ideas. I know in the past custom text was also on the wish list. I will see what I can do.

I will also be posting later this week some more details of the general functionality. The gauge has alot of options for operational preferences including a 16 option menu including the following:

Max Led Brightness (1-10)

Min Led Brightness (1-10)

Max Oled Brightness (1-6)

Min Oled Brightness (1-6)

Peak Boost Alarm (1-25, or NONE)

Auto Display Peak Boost (on / off)

Peak Hold Time (5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec)

Display Volts (on / off)

Display AFR (on / off)

Auto Bright (Parking lights / Ambient light)

AFR PLOT MAX (1-20)

AFR PLOT MIN (1-20)

BOOST PLOT MAX (1-25)

BOOST PLOT MIN (1-25)

BEEP (ON/OFF)

UPDATE RATE (DIGITAL FILTERING - Low, Med, High)

PLOT PROFILE LENGTH (5 sec, 10 sec)

Edited by lossol

Sounds good!

Is "Auto Bright" going to control the LED's and the OLED?