LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the gauge has 4 digits now. Do you have any data on the temp sensor? Might be possible.

What sort of data are you looking for? I have a digital Prosport gauge that I never installed. I would be willing to mail you the thermal sensor if you would like, just so you can try it out. The thing is, I am not entirely sure if this would make your gauge dependend on Prosport thermal sensors or if it will be compatible with any and all. I have no information if the sensors have a standardized way of sending data, but I could ask Prosport if their gauges work with other sensors. If they do, then there's our answer ;)

Later edit: according to their site, the senders are not interchangeable. They have a pro-series line of gauges and those don't work even with their own sensors from the other "regular" gauges. I guess that if you want to test out and see how the sender actually works you could try a generic one and offer it as a package deal when you sell this gauge. I, for one, would be interested in such a kit and I am sure others are as well.

Edited by fishbone

wow this is sweet.. i've been wanting to get a boost gauge but dont want a pod. this would be perfect.

so top LED's could be boost and bottom could be VAC (if i'm looking at that right, looks like there are LEDs along the bottom too)

btw, for those wanting a stealth boost gauge, you're aware of his existing gt digital gauge that replaces your "instant mpg" display on your computer readout? I LOVE me my gtboostdig!

wow this is sweet.. i've been wanting to get a boost gauge but dont want a pod. this would be perfect.

so top LED's could be boost and bottom could be VAC (if i'm looking at that right, looks like there are LEDs along the bottom too)

What about having the boost and Vac on one sweep...just split the difference down the middle.

Have the vac be a different color than the boost.

IE:

|<----------<X>---------->|

<X> marks the center of the gauge.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Yes I will try to get the timing perfect for startup sweep. Any idea if startup sweep has changed at all from the 06. i mean is the 07, 08, 09 all the same or..close enough.

Well, I looked on Youtube and found an 05 and an 09 gauge sweep:

05 Gauge Sweep-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msYv4iqPIxE]YouTube- 2005 Subaru Legacy GT gauges[/ame]

09 Gauge Sweep-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sRzhiIt-bg]YouTube- Subaru Legacy GT Gauge Sweep[/ame]

Looks like the 05' takes about 3 seconds to complete the cycle while the 09 is about 2 seconds. I doubt anyone would notice the difference if the gauge was universal for 05-09 models.

• 3 weeks later...

This is neat ! I don't actually need one for AFR or boost due to my CarPC but I fully concur with it being fabulously awesome idea. I think (though I did not investigate if this is the case) the display should be made to fit either the center or the left side vents depending on where the customer wants it.

I would buy one if this could be made into a shift light; with 2 selectable stages; and a light-up comparable to F1 cars. For instance: a ramp-up to 2500 rpm for normal driving and another one to 7000 rpm.

Edited by f1anatic

I agree. Although the alternative that I was going to go with, until I found this thread, is the Magden m1.b, which is like $600. So anything less than that would be awesome.

Note to OP: This does *not* mean that I'll pay $599 for your product. Just FYI. ;P

I agree. Although the alternative that I was going to go with, until I found this thread, is the Magden m1.b, which is like $600. So anything less than that would be awesome.

Note to OP: This does *not* mean that I'll pay $599 for your product. Just FYI. ;P

I would hope that this boost gauge isn't $600 considering the Magden gives you much much more to tinker with than this gauge ever will.

• 2 weeks later...

it's been a while sorry for lack of updates. Happy new year everybody!

So things are taking a little change...for the better! The first prototype turned out okay but I think there is room for improvement. The 2nd prototype should be built soon. I've decided to make the display a little more flexible. The new design incorporates 16 leds. 6 show vac (white) 10 show boost (red) (like a mini version of the original GTBoost gauge)

The real new addition will be two oled displays under the leds providing ultimate flexibility in displaying boost pressure and other information:

Examples:

AFR via LC-1 compatibility displayed at same time as boost.

Boost profiles (plotted like a graph in time domain)

Easier menus for setting display settings

Future external sensors could be more easily interfaced to the display (fishbone - this could mean temp sensors)

Units of meas. more flexible - no fixed indicators for PSI or BAR

Also added to the features list was an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust brightness.

I don't have actual pics yet but they are coming in a few weeks. Attached is a crude layout of the oled screens and leds.

Alot of questions on price, sorry I don't know yet, but I can assure you it wont be near the 300+ range...yikes, after all

We are not BMW owners

questions comments welcome, I'm in my last week up wrapping up design for hardware so last minute requests / ideas welcome.

vent_boost.png.3921a7642fc786ce9d39015d15cac722.png

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com