LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the decision for two OLED screens instead of one longer one? Was that a price decision?

How do you program the startup animation on the board? Would it be possible for us to create our own on the computer then flash the gauge? I can think of a few ideas I'd like.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just got confirmation back from the board house. Looks like the pcbs will be back here by this time next week. Like I said before I'm finishing up parts ordering - so I will have a price soon. However there are still some unknowns that will dominate the price point. First we have to prove function. The original GTBoost20 went through 3 revesisions before I got it right. This is only Rev 2 so far ;)

Why the decision for two OLED screens instead of one longer one? Was that a price decision?

Size and color.

Mainly vertical size was the limit, The display is really quite small, to get more active display area I added another one because I had enough room. I also wanted white to mimic the stock LCD gauges.

The oleds and the pressure sensor itself are the two most expensive components on the board. However the unit price on the OLED drops fast if you order 100s of them.

Price is always a concern. It's hard to make these things affordable when your doing such low rate production.

It's like Extreme Programming for aftermarket parts!

You touch on a good point. There will be alot of programing involved once all the hardware is in.

Or ideas on when something like this might go into production?

My hopes are to have beta units out in late march. :spin: Theres still a lot to do, so no promises, but I will keep you all updated.

Thanks again for all the input. I cant wait to get the real thing running I think it's going to look sweet.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• 2 weeks later...

So as you can see the prototype Revision 2 hardware is in. The programing begins...

The hardware is in good shape mostly. I do know already there will have to be a few modifications which will mean another PCB spin...ugh. However the board came up quite smoothly with nearly all hardware tested and working.

New Faster Microprocessor - up and working.

Two new Led driver chips (smaller package size than GTBoost16/20) - working great

Power sequencing for OLEDs - works

OLED function/speed - check / beautiful

Capacitance touch control - not tested yet

I was worried about the size and contrast of the OLED displays. But after I powered them up and got them working, wow, they are really quite readable, bright, and contrast well with the LEDs. I loaded to Bitmaps for test, which is what you see the previous pics. Essentially you display 32x132 bit black and white images with these things. They do have global contrast control which will make them look super readable at night and not obnoxious.

I wanted to give you guys a better idea of how this fits in the vent:

It is actually a 2 board stack. One board holds all the electronics. And the other board holds the first board into the vent.

The first picture shows the board stack.

The second to last picture show where the capacitive touch buttons are. They have led indicators next to each one.

The larger Led location near the middle cap touch sensor is for the ambient light sensor - so this things can automatically adjust brightness.

What is not shown in these pictures it the smoked overlay...because it hasn't been made yet.

DSC05460.thumb.jpg.a6ec666ba4f2f1edebdf78f473ee5423.jpg

DSC05461.thumb.jpg.22293045b994297319ccc3817b6bd1d3.jpg

DSC05466.thumb.jpg.575066e97a1538b95a33c6cde8d3591d.jpg

DSC05469.thumb.jpg.cebd442a2428d29ed42b159762cc536b.jpg

DSC05470.thumb.jpg.c356d57a8da1496efcf51231fac2b5e8.jpg

DSC05471.thumb.jpg.92cba1f7082320b8e1d75918e451db74.jpg

Wow - I'm really glad you guys like the redesign. I'm also glad you guys encouraged me to stick with the curved LEDs. I have also created a custom character set so the font looks good clear and readable. I hope to get some demo videos up soon as well.

I figured I would take a break from code and answer some questions:

How do you program the startup animation on the board? Would it be possible for us to create our own on the computer then flash the gauge? I can think of a few ideas I'd like.

Not sure yet - this will probably be decieded when all essential programing is done. THere is only so much memory in this chip I have to work with - Best case I create and app for the computer where you can configure animation and B&W small bitmaps. Worst case you choose from some pre-loaded bitmaps and have the capability to alter startup text.

As a thought, are there any alternatives to OLED LCDs that would be significantly cheaper? Something that could be an option if someone is budget-conscious.

It terms of size cost and daylight readability. I don't see any other option.

Can we display two values (other than boost)? Like Say AFR and EGT... etc.

Right now I'm planning on shipping the first production version with Boost and AFR (via LC-1 or equivalent) and voltmeter capabilities. I'm going to narrow my focus to that for now.

So there's brightness control in the LEDs, right?

Every Led has 128 levels of brightness. Oh so do the OLED displays.

im guessing we will have to modify our vent on our own? think you'll have some sort of instruction?

Yes you will have to remove the first two louvers / diverters from the top of the vent. They actually pop out and then there are four holes you will use to install the gauge into. You will have to run a ribbon cable from the gauge to the interface box. The interface box holds the pressure sensor and power / AFR connections.

I will be sure to have instructions.

ok, how much do these cost and how hard are they to install?
cost hasn't been released yet - they shouldn't be that hard to install but I will hold off judgment until the beta testers provide feedback. Were just not there yet...getting closer.

Will this fit only in the vent to the left of the steering wheel? I didn't even realize it wasn't for the middle cubby.

Yeah this is for the drivers side Vent made for USDM LGTs. By making this for the vent it allows flexibility for those with NAV to be included this go around.

I think the location is pretty sweet, but we'll see what the beta testers say.

There has already been interest in a RHD version. If interest continues that will happen after the LHD has already been released.