LegacyGT.com

Official Test for NTD Throttle Control Unit

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely interested in finding out more about this, but my main question is how differenct is this from my SI drive other than it has many different levels? If I was in Sport 7 and S# on my SI would it be about the same or would this be noticeably quicker acceleration?

Definitely interested in finding out more about this, but my main question is how differenct is this from my SI drive other than it has many different levels? If I was in Sport 7 and S# on my SI would it be about the same or would this be noticeably quicker acceleration?

It is similar in theory to SI but it is better in functionality. Not to mention you have WAY more settings and it installs EASY. I have one of the first ones for Legacies and I still to this day enjoy SP7 for spirited parkway drives and ECO 3 for long hauls.

Trust me your Sport Sharp wont come close to the SP setting on this product :)

Just installed my unit this evening and took it for a quick spin around the block. Eco 5 REALLY slows the acceleration to a minmum to help with fuel economy, and Sport 7 almost snaps my neck from a stop compared to normal mode. Everything was easy to install, the only hard part was finding out how to run the damn wire through the steering column :lol:. I predict in less than a month this unit will pay for itself in the money I will be saving in gas during traffic. My new job will take me to route 66 east and 28 north (for all you Northern VA people, you know what I'm talking about), and the reverse going home, both times in traffic.

Thanks again Panson!

Just to keep the record straight, the only way this changes fuel economy (if it does at all in the end) is by limiting the throttle. You can do the same with your right foot. It does not do ANYTHING that changes engine's characteristics i.e. create horsepower, fuel economy, etc.
:spin:

I truly find it hard to believe you think that the roughly 0.001 time it takes for a foot to go from no throttle to full throttle has any REPEATABLE changes on acceleration. Seriously. With no changes in the engine, as long as you can request 100% without this, this is JUST A FEEL MOD...
:spin:

Its all about response time, and yes it is a great FEEL mod! True story, I reset my unit earlier today, started the car, and proceeded to drive. As i was cruising down the road, I noticed how sluggish the car was acting. It was terrible, definitely a WTF moment. Then I noticed the ETC unit was still in normal mode! Clicked it up to SP7, downshifted to fourth, touched the pedal, and the car just felt much more willing to accelerate.

• 2 weeks later...
Its all about response time, and yes it is a great FEEL mod! True story, I reset my unit earlier today, started the car, and proceeded to drive. As i was cruising down the road, I noticed how sluggish the car was acting. It was terrible, definitely a WTF moment. Then I noticed the ETC unit was still in normal mode! Clicked it up to SP7, downshifted to fourth, touched the pedal, and the car just felt much more willing to accelerate.

Paul dude SP7 FTW and whats your XBL tag dude GEE OTTO over here lets race.

Praedet whats the deal with that Y pipe?

(I can pollute my own thread :lol:)

Paul dude SP7 FTW and whats your XBL tag dude GEE OTTO over here lets race.

Praedet whats the deal with that Y pipe?

(I can pollute my own thread :lol:)

its just pawlwawl06, i havent been on FM3 in awhile thanks to school, but ill be back on soon enough.

i'm sorry if i missed this but does it stay in the same setting the next time you start your car?

also i just skimmed through, but i assume this just amplifies the signal from the pedal to ecu. so what about letting off the throttle? does it de-amplify it? stock there is a delay when you let off the throttle too so i'm curious how this deals with it.

what i mean is, when stock, there's a delay after you let off throttle. like when you let off the pedal completely, theres a delay in engine response to let off also. it happens very quick, but i still notice it.

its helpful though when i'm driving very lazyly keeping the RPM's up between shifts but annoying when i'm driving quickly.

what i mean is, when stock, there's a delay after you let off throttle. like when you let off the pedal completely, theres a delay in engine response to let off also. it happens very quick, but i still notice it.

its helpful though when i'm driving very lazyly keeping the RPM's up between shifts but annoying when i'm driving quickly.

I'm with you on the same thing. Seems to me when you drive fast with such an RPM hang that you would burn the clutch up pretty fast. I want to get this problem figured out. Do you have any mods on your engine naimouasta?

no engine mods. i've looked around, some say its an emissions thing.

what i want is to get my car open source tuned, to sharpen everything, engine response, throttle response, +10hp, etc. i just want the throttle to be a little more responsive, and a bit more linear. not super aggressive.

next add the ntd throttle controller on top of the tune, so that i may control my throttle response like SI-drive.

i don't really know anything about tuning, so i don't know how the engine and pedal position relate to one another. from what i've gathered, not only is there a delay, the pedal position is merely suggestive?!? <--someone confirm this?

After using the ETC for about a month... I've noticed a huge change in fuel economy. I normally set it on ECO 5 during heavy traffic, ECO 3 when traffic is moving consistently, and either normal or ECO 1 during normal driving. Here's proof that ECO mode really helps:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/sniper588/IMAG0011.jpg

This was about 3/4 of a tank driving down 495 on ECO 3. The previous setting was ECO 5 during the heavy traffic since the refueling. And Subaru says this car gets 30 highway... Booya!

naimouasta, if you take this up definitely post what you see. This has been my main concern since I bought my car and this is my feeling in why I have not bought one of these kits yet myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing that hang on the throttle.

The hanging RPM's are programed into the ECU btwn shifts to keep the engine and trans closer in speed to help with shifting. This idea comes from the idea of double clutching where you tap the throttle to raise the engine speed to the speed of the tranny so you can shift smoothly. IT can be tuned out with RR and a tactrix cable i forgot which field

Archived