LegacyGT.com

Official Test for NTD Throttle Control Unit

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have another burning question, how quick is the throttle response from a stand-still? Does the engine rev more quickly? As of right now, I come close to stalling out all the time because I touch the gas pedal and get no response and I'll slowly let off on the clutch at the same time and consequently the engine just bogs down. Its embarrassing to say the least. I've get to rev it 3 or 4 times just to be able to take off because the revs dont come when I want them to, and the car still manages to hesitate slightly....ughh i can't wait for this piece.

I go through the same thing. This isn't the first manual that I've owned but it is the first Drive-by-wire manual I've owned. It's taking some getting used to for sure. I've been reading the threads for this product and I understand that it solves the throttle lag that causes the 'problem' discussed above by improving throttle response but....now please have pity on my noobness...will this device solve the lag that exists between gears?

What I've experienced is that when you take off from a light in 1st rev to 3k rpm, push the clutch down and shift to 2nd, you have to wait for a second for the RPMs to drop sufficiently to release the clutch and feather the throttle. If you don't time it right you get some jerking/bucking. The amount of time you have wait between the gears changes under different conditions too (cold car in the morning/warmed up half way to work). The '05 mustang GT I had just went from one gear to the next when no hanging RPM's in between.

Again, this is my first DBW so if this is just something I have to live with that's cool. I've been working on figuring it out for the past 7,500 miles and I'm getting better. But if this product cures or at least minimizes this aspect of the DBW then I'm definitely interested.

Robert

I have a 2007 2.5i 4EAT. Would this device be worth my while or is more towards 5speed 2.5i owners.

Also is there online directions on how to install this unit?

Well that is hard to say the 4EAT is garbage as far as transmissions go but the quicker response coupled with an auto could be FUN!!!! The instructions are included and are VERY EASY

The device is compatible w/ all 05~09 drive-by-wire Subaru Legacy (BP5/BL5)

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me I hooked it up wrong... But after looking at this picture and comparing my harness, I don't think I'm hooking it up wrong.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/turp_0810_2005_subaru_wrx_sti_blitz_throttle_controller/photo_03.html

Rev "Type" = Model Year (Typically)

A, B, C = 2004-2006 (JDM) 2005-2007 (USDM)

D, E, F = 2007-2009 (JDM) 2008-2009 (USDM)

BL = 4th Gen Sedan (Legacy and 3.0R)

BP = 4th Gen Wagon (Legacy and Outback)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Rev "Type" = Model Year (Typically)

A, B, C = 2004-2006 (JDM) 2005-2007 (USDM)

D, E, F = 2007-2009 (JDM) 2008-2009 (USDM)

BL = 4th Gen Sedan (Legacy and 3.0R)

BP = 4th Gen Wagon (Legacy and Outback)

Awesome, thanks ;) I'm wondering, this must be part of the VIN number.

Bump for a great product and the 1st batch has been sent to the group buy participants. Let's wait and see some more reviews.

Panson

I'm in Europe right now for work, but when I get back I will post a review :) Did the harness ship yet? No rush, I'm going to be here for a bit I think...

Just got it in today and installed it. Went around town with Eco mode for a bit, and first impression is that it is really smooth, and at full depression, does not jump at all, just slowly but surely going from 25 MPH to 35 MPH, with a line of cars behind me :lol:

Now for sport mode, I have yet to test it on the highway and on-ramps as it is already rush hour and stop-and-go traffic would not be an ideal testing situation. But around town, it does feel more spunky than normal, especially for a 4EAT. I'll do a few more 'test runs' when traffic clears up but so far, I like :cool:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Now for sport mode, I have yet to test it on the highway and on-ramps as it is already rush hour and stop-and-go traffic would not be an ideal testing situation. But around town, it does feel more spunky than normal, especially for a 4EAT. I'll do a few more 'test runs' when traffic clears up but so far, I like :cool:

I'd be interested to know how much different it is from the "sport" mode already on the 4EAT, and sportshift?

And have you tried it on sport, while actually in sport mode, or sportshift?

I wonder if it bypasses the built in throttle adjustment, or it just gets really twitchy?

Thats one of the reasons why I was hesitant on getting one, I didnt know how much different it would be from the built in sport modes, or if they would even play well with each other.

I'd be interested to know how much different it is from the "sport" mode already on the 4EAT, and sportshift?

And have you tried it on sport, while actually in sport mode, or sportshift?

I wonder if it bypasses the built in throttle adjustment, or it just gets really twitchy?

Thats one of the reasons why I was hesitant on getting one, I didnt know how much different it would be from the built in sport modes, or if they would even play well with each other.

This is my first review on a product purchased for my car, so please bare with me :redface:

Got to play with it again tonight on my local highway. On-ramps with 4EAT sport mode disengaged and ETD sport 7, there is definitely more pull from a complete stop. Same goes on a roll in 2nd accelerating to 60 and shifting into 3rd.

With sport mode engaged on the 4EAT, along with the ETD sport mode, there is a noticeable difference. It is definitely more responsive, especially from sport 3 upwards to 7, and 3rd gear does not feel as doggish in normal mode.

Now for a little comparison test. I did 60 to 70 MPH runs (did not want to attract any attention) in 3rd and started with sport 1, and kept the pedal depressed at 20% and gradually went up the sport levels. The throttle became more and more responsive the higher I leveled up, and going from 60 to 70 MPH became quicker each time.

NOTE: There may be inconsistencies in these test runs as the highway I tested on is not completely level ground with gradual inclines and declines.

I haven't yet decided where to permanently mount it and all the while during the testing, held it in my hand or placed it below the shifter. I was also under the impression that the controller would revert back to normal mode after shutting the car off, but when I started my car back up since the initial run a few hours earlier, it was still in eco mode, where I left it :confused: Any insight to this, Panson, before I 'restart' it?

As this is my first testing/review on a performance modification for my car, any and all criticism or suggestions for further testing would be greatly appreciated and received, and I hope what I contributed so far is helpful even in the slightest :redface::)

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Archived