LegacyGT.com

Official Test for NTD Throttle Control Unit

This is my first review on a product purchased for my car, so please bare with me ... As this is my first testing/review on a performance modification for my car, any and all criticism or suggestions for further testing would be greatly appreciated and received, and I hope what I contributed so far is helpful even in the slightest

Thanks for the info!

I wasnt sure how much different it was compared to the built in sport mode, so thanks for letting me know.

I guess if there is another group buy I will end up getting one, I was really close in the last one, and after your review i might end up getting one.

Thanks again.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, that's weird. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it reverts back to normal mode just in case someone else (family member or other) drives it to prevent any sort of 'mishaps'. Ah well, I'm not complaining, just was expecting it.

iTrader coming your way, Panson :)

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Huh, that's weird. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it reverts back to normal mode just in case someone else (family member or other) drives it to prevent any sort of 'mishaps'. Ah well, I'm not complaining, just was expecting it.

i remember someone commented on this too... about a family member not backing in another car in sports mode or something... doesnt matter though i actually prefer this cuz i'm the only driver...

Id actually prefer it to keep the same setting. Would be a pain having to set it everytime you get in the car.

I left mine in SP7 once got to go to work the next morning and i was like why am I riding the clutch so much really the throttle has advanced so much you have to advance your clutch operation as well I thought my clutch was going then i looked at the red SP7 clicked that down to normal :)

Can I just say SP7 is the shyt!!!! I really need to get a launch video in that setting its like a Auto if your clutch skillz are on point which mine are :lol:

Not sure if you caught my post (#101) but I gotta know your secret with the clutch skills (noob speaking...if you couldn't tell :)). I'm gettin' better but I'm wondering if this throttle control unit can help me out? What's your take? TCU and lots of practice? Lots of practice then TCU and more practice?

Robert

Not sure if you caught my post (#101) but I gotta know your secret with the clutch skills (noob speaking...if you couldn't tell :)). I'm gettin' better but I'm wondering if this throttle control unit can help me out? What's your take? TCU and lots of practice? Lots of practice then TCU and more practice?

Robert

Well the clutch on a Subaru tends to be "heavy" when compared to other FWD 4cyl cars. Others may have as short of travel path but they don’t feel as heavy or stiff I’ve only ever driven a manual car since day one and before that I grew up driving hay trucks and tractors and skidders and log trucks so my clutch work is the result of a diverse learning experience. The refinement came with track time in a built car that how you really grasp double clutching left foot braking etc etc but that isn’t really useful in normal driving but it helps.

IF you feel you have issue with your clutch two things you should try:

1. adjust the pedal most newer car allows the owner to adjust the travel on the pedal to get the desired engagement/disengagement point.

2. You really have to dial in your clutch and this is a per driver per car thing. You need to know by feel or by watching the Tach when it engages.

I used to use sound when I was younger but in situation where you have a quite car or another loud car that can throw you off. When I first got my Legacy I had a 98 GA GT with a flow master exhaust pace setter header and 2.5 inch piping with a K&N Cold air intake and a cam swap from a QUAD 4. It was more audible than my legacy the first time out in my legacy I almost stalled it twice :eek: A louder car I think is easier for novice driver to learn on b/c the sound lets you know more gas less clutch or its clutch and brake time or down shift time etc.

Simple tips that most all people should know or do already. Don't dump the clutch btwn 1 and 2 and 2 to 3 shifts. You gotta be swift and lineal but not in or out this will solve shift shock when you have guest in your car and when driving with people in the car and you want to have a smoother ride make sure to shift with the engine speed relative to the speed of the transmission. I’m a built 335 track car it had a trans and engine tachometer keep em close smooth sailing shift when they are on opposite ends of the gauge brace for a lock up or risk snapping a cam shaft :lol:

When taking off from I will pat the gas to get the rpms up once it start to engage pat it again then full on the throttle . It is hard to explain this it happen in a second maybe 1.5 secs :lol: but you never want to hold the throttle then ease out of the clutch or your clutch wont last long and it doesn't look cool if that is what you're going for. A good way to get much much better is to drive your car on different roads not just roads that don't require you to challenge you clutch abilities

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1N3IERy6k][/ame]

^^^Thanks for the tips. I know what you're talking about with the throttle "pat" on take off. I've been working on that one because the clutch slip holding the throttle is excessive to get a smooth take off. I'll just keep driving and practicing I guess.

By the way, the "sex" video didn't post. :confused::lol:

Drove to PA this weekend from VA ( Alexandria) while on I-81 i noticed that ECO worked well on the flat stretches but you def want to switch out of if the highway has a lot of elevation changes. The delay in ECO 3-5 is so much you lose a lot of momentum and have to down shift canceling your cruise control session. Its a real problem or anything but if you dont want to keep setting your CC.

But the ECO 5 helps out a lot on flat roads

So I have my ETC unit properly installed and programmed after a few trial and error runs.

Currently, its programmed to about 85% - 90% full throttle, like Panson suggested earlier.

First impressions(mostly on SP7):

The ETC really does a great job of ridding the car of its studdering issues during sudden throttle bursts in low speed situations. I definitely noticed that the power comes on quicker and stronger throughout the entire gear range. Downshifting and hitting WOT at around 3000-3500 RPMs in 3rd/4th gear has put a wide grin on my face so far. It feels as if there is an initial boost in HP upon opening the throttle.

I also noticed before that while I get on the gas, I would feel a few slight hesitations throughout the RPM range under acceleration. This is no longer the case. You are presented with a smooth-power band - except for the initial opening of the throttle where your body is thrown back into the seat :) This sudden onslaught of power helps tremendously and also contributes to the fun-factor.

I have found myself ridding the clutch a few times, nd it doesn't help that I keep resetting the unit to adjust how the WOT percentage is programmed. I think I have found a happy medium at about 85%

Panson, in response to your last post: I actually tried what you mentioned, I programmed the WOT by pressing about 60% of the way in, and for some reason, SP7 was even more sluggish than when I pressed 90% in. SP1 was more responsive than SP7 at that point, I felt that was a bit strange.

^oh yes i know what you said, I didn't hurt anyone lol. I'm loving this product so far, SP7 is awesome. I used the eco mode, and it was basically worthless with a 5MT. Maybe its better on the auto, idk. SP1 - 3 does a great job in limiting the acceleration bursts. Thanks for a good product. Now I need a nice long stretch of highway to really test this thing out.

I also noticed that this car pulls harder up hills. When I drop it into fourth, it accelerates quicker, no lag! Love it.

Yeah I read the same thing too, such that I rechecked my wiring to be sure that the ETC was not staying powered incorrectly (I hard wired the unit instead of using the OBD connector). I prefer that it keeps the settings after engine shutoff anyway.

YES! SP7 does it again! So Friday I was braving the blizzard in route to Charlottesville from Roanoke ( 6 inches of ice and snow on the roads) I get to Afton Mountain and of course all the FWD people are slipping and sliding and stalling for that matter. I get to a point where a jack-knifed truck caused us to stop still.

If you know about snow driving you know that you have to work your clutch to get going again so you dont put too much power down and start spinning. Well in this case that is the exact thing you would want to do b/c your front tires engage once you get a certain RPM. With the 'nor' throttle setting I stalled twice b/c the reponse was so horrible. I thought dammit I may be stuck or im going to bake my clutch. Then I gazed down at that red display reading "A20" as I nailed it. i thought hmm I need quick throttle, I need SP7:) 9 clicks later i was on SP7 I walked right up that mountain didnt even bake the clutch b/c i could keep my momentum.

I had to use the same tactic in C-ville as well and it worked great.

THANKS NTD ETC!! YOU'RE THE BEST!

Yeah I read the same thing too, such that I rechecked my wiring to be sure that the ETC was not staying powered incorrectly (I hard wired the unit instead of using the OBD connector). I prefer that it keeps the settings after engine shutoff anyway.

It keeps the settings no matter which way you wire it or it should. If i drive in SP7 to work, when i get back in my car to go home its still in SP7. BUT i did wire in the reverse circuit :cool:

I was in a situation the other day when I was wondering why my car was so sluggish, then I looked down and realized my unit had reset itself back to the normal sitting. . .I shrugged, set it to SP7, and went on my way. I'm pretty sure I wired it correctly. I notice that my foot comes dangerously close to the OBD port while going for the clutch. Sometimes I do manage to hit the wire going to it.

Archived