LegacyGT.com

Official Test for NTD Throttle Control Unit

IMHO, yes. And the directions come with the unit.

From post #124:

This is my first review on a product purchased for my car, so please bare with me :redface:

Got to play with it again tonight on my local highway. On-ramps with 4EAT sport mode disengaged and ETD sport 7, there is definitely more pull from a complete stop. Same goes on a roll in 2nd accelerating to 60 and shifting into 3rd.

With sport mode engaged on the 4EAT, along with the ETD sport mode, there is a noticeable difference. It is definitely more responsive, especially from sport 3 upwards to 7, and 3rd gear does not feel as doggish in normal mode.

Now for a little comparison test. I did 60 to 70 MPH runs (did not want to attract any attention) in 3rd and started with sport 1, and kept the pedal depressed at 20% and gradually went up the sport levels. The throttle became more and more responsive the higher I leveled up, and going from 60 to 70 MPH became quicker each time.

NOTE: There may be inconsistencies in these test runs as the highway I tested on is not completely level ground with gradual inclines and declines.

I haven't yet decided where to permanently mount it and all the while during the testing, held it in my hand or placed it below the shifter. I was also under the impression that the controller would revert back to normal mode after shutting the car off, but when I started my car back up since the initial run a few hours earlier, it was still in eco mode, where I left it :confused: Any insight to this, Panson, before I 'restart' it?

As this is my first testing/review on a performance modification for my car, any and all criticism or suggestions for further testing would be greatly appreciated and received, and I hope what I contributed so far is helpful even in the slightest :redface::)

And after months of using SP5-7, and going back down to NORMAL mode to 'refresh' myself on how that felt, I have to say that I went right back up to SP6 :lol: I had to press the pedal further down to get some more power out of it, and with the T/C, I can just tap it to get to 25% in about ~1 inch of pedal depression. Of course when I set it up, I made the max pedal depression at 85-90%.

Also, with a fairly light foot, and at SP6, I've managed to get about 28 MPG highway miles at one point :D

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you guys keep thinking this device makes your car accelerate faster? The only way it can do that is if you never fully depress your gas pedal...

It may make your car feel faster... but it isn't.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

What I meant to say was that the device makes the throttle more sensitive. So instead of depressing the pedal, say, ~3 inches to get it to get up to speed, I set it to SP6-7 so I only have to depress the pedal ~1 inch to get the same reaction out of the car.

I am fully aware that this does not add any horsepower or torque, but it strictly is just a 'feel' mod. And, in my experience, I do feel it makes the car more responsive, not faster.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

no it doesn't

Perceive, but not receive

From what I understand, this essentially acts in a similar way as the sport mode on the automatic cars (and I guess like the S# modes on the later models)

In those modes, the throttle is more responsive, and you dont have to jam the pedal in order to force the engine to shift, or just drive faster.

These modes don't "enhance" the engine, and magically make more HP, but it does make the throttle respond faster then normal.

On the 2.5is, the stock pedal sucks, drive in "D" and youll be in for a slow shifting, ride. Drive in sport, and the car reacts better.

For us, theres essentially "D" and "Sport", those are the only adjustments that we can make. But when you get the throttle controller, it lets you choose finer adjustments, and possibly ones that are more responsive then sport. And for manuals, they're just stuck with driving the way it is.

The stock throttle is delayed, and acts slow. The throttle controller fixes this problem, and makes the car react a bit better.

There is definitely a difference between "D" and "Sport", and the throttle controller allows for finer adjustments, and possibly "better" then sport mode.

mwiener, again, I think we understand we don't gain any more HP out of this, it's not a magical box. But it does make the car react faster, because it's amplifying the throttle signal. And for 2.5is stock is crap. And I dont think if this controller did nothing, i dont think you would have a bunch of people saying it is a good thing. If it was crap, people would say something.

(I don't have one, but I have some understanding on how it works, and how it can help. I may get one in the future, but not right now.)

mweiner2 - It's basically the same as Si-Drive or fooling with the throttle mapping ("Requested Torque").

Look at how many flocked to TDC's throttle remapping, back in the early days. Look at how many later reverted to standard mapping or something that's more akin to that of the STi's (because while factory mapping does leave many with something more to be desired - more "responsiveness" - a certain subset also felt that the TDC remap was too aggressive, particularly for their specific driving needs).

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Got my NTD in and tried it out. Hooked up easy but not my cup of tea since I have SI drive. If anyone is interested in it PM me.

Thanks

DT

Really? So the NTD controller didn't make the much of a difference in SP 7 compared to S#? I also have a 3.0R and have been waiting for someone to buy one to see if it has made any noticeable difference.

It worked as advertised and I did try it on S# but thought it was a little to sensitive for my tastes. I know SI also maps the timing so its more than just throttle response so I don't feel it added much to my experience. It really comes down to personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

DT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to say after about 2 hours of Installing this everyone and the garage loved it. Now the reason it took so long is because we took alot of pieces apart, ran the wires nice and clean unscrewed some things so that it looks very clean on the install. We hid every wire and redid some stock stuff to make it look clean if I had to take it in for check up. But it is very simple and take's 10 mins to put on if you just what to throw it in and not hide wires. But to make it look classy. take your time and hide all the wires and it will be nice.

Now I have to figure out how to use this this hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i would ask here.

has anyone had problems with these on an NA?

I've fitted one to my 2.5i and after a few minutes i lose throttle all together.

Even a replacement did the same thing.

In normal mode it seems to be ok, once i go to ECO or SP then i run into the problem. I basically have no throttle what so ever, the car just coasts on its own.

Any input appreciated.

Archived