LegacyGT.com

Switchblade/Flip Key

DocHolladay23

SO I got most of it done but had a small setback apparently. The key were I cut it and shaped it with the dremmel is too short, so I'll have to get another key cut and make it longer. But i have a better idea of what needs to be done this time

sounds like what I did to my wifes Honda key.. I trimmed the spare key but it ended up being too short anyways and the FOB hit the ignition housing before the key could make it all the way into the ignition.. :mad:

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sounds like what I did to my wifes Honda key.. I trimmed the spare key but it ended up being too short anyways and the FOB hit the ignition housing before the key could make it all the way into the ignition.. :mad:

Yeah that's exactly what happened the FOB is hitting the ignition housing, will get it right the 2nd time around...Probably end up making it too long and the immobilizer not working right :lol:

I had the same problem. The key actually still worked, but the fob part had to go into the ring around the ignition and would only fit in with the fob turned in a certin direction. I went down to my local Ace store and had them cut a all mettal key for me and tested it to work before I left. I then took out my dremel and cut it to the correct length and cut the end to fit into the fob and it now works great and doesn't matter wich way I put the key in the ignition.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got a new blank made and cut it down to fit the honda fob and flippy stuff. It worked but I think my cut is a lil off on the blank as I can insert it on way into the ignition and it will start but if I flip it over and insert it it won't turn, so I'm heading back tot he locksmith to have them try and go over the key to make sure it's all cut good.

Only question I have now is when you put it back together how many times did you wrap the spring around for the flip? I only did one ccw spin and it seems alright but a little loose in there area, so wondering if I should try to get another spin of the spring.

Well it looks like 3rd time will be a charm. I had to get a 3rd key cut from the locksmith since once side didn't work in the ignition, they couldn't fix it so they just cut me another one which works right on both sides, now to cut it again and put it all back together. Shouldn't take me very long to do anymore since I've pretty much perfected the art now. Just have to wind the spring in right this time.

Last time I put it together I wound it colckwise I believe and it would flip close. LOL

Well it looks like 3rd time will be a charm. I had to get a 3rd key cut from the locksmith since once side didn't work in the ignition, they couldn't fix it so they just cut me another one which works right on both sides, now to cut it again and put it all back together. Shouldn't take me very long to do anymore since I've pretty much perfected the art now. Just have to wind the spring in right this time.

Last time I put it together I wound it colckwise I believe and it would flip close. LOL

Be careful with your springs, when I wound mine the first time, I wound it too much and bent the damn thing. :lol: Luckily Firepyro bailed me out with an extra he had. :woowoo:

I went to start my car after work last night and the damn thing wouldn't start - cranked once, and then stopped with the security light flashing...walked home, got the spare, and went back to start it and did so fine with my spare subaru key. Took the switchblade key apart, and the chip had fallen towards the bottom of if...

Word of wisdom - secure the chip in a functional position or you'll be stranded!

Are you guys serious? I'm sorry about that :( , I used more glue in the ones I made for everyone than I used in mine and mine has been fine

Not your fault I'm clumsy and keep dropping the stupid thing. I gotta find a way to secure it better thought. I took it all the way apart the first time and bent my spring:nono: and had to very carefully bend it back as close as I could get it. This time I will just try and glue it with a pair of needle nose pliers. I tried hot glue too and it didnt seam to wont to read the chip covered in hot glue.

Not your fault I'm clumsy and keep dropping the stupid thing. I gotta find a way to secure it better thought. I took it all the way apart the first time and bent my spring:nono: and had to very carefully bend it back as close as I could get it. This time I will just try and glue it with a pair of needle nose pliers. I tried hot glue too and it didnt seam to wont to read the chip covered in hot glue.

What about the ticky-tack stuff that college kids use to hang up posters (without actual tacks)? It's like a play-doh type consistency, and should hold it in there pretty good. Plus it's not glue, so should you need to take it back out, you should be able to with a pair of pliers.

Another idea would be to encapsulate the transmitter first in a protective layer (i.e. tape/plastic), and then do an epoxy fill to armor it (you'll need to cut it out, but heck, it'll be armored!).

:)

Doc, don't worry about it - I know, I know, I don't even own one of these things, but I just wanted to say that this kind of trial-and-error is not at all uncommon, when it comes to custom goods like this.

Many custom-makers can well tell you how many tritium-filled GloTubes were trashed/cracked, before they figured out how to properly contain and armor those items. ;)

Yeah, radioactive! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cool, I'll get one and try it once I actually... buy... my 09 OB.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...

Just to revisit. I ordered one of these. It is NOT a flip key, but rather a slide key. You actually PUSH it open, and a side button retracts it.

Quality is iffy. It's all plastic, and feels kind of cheap. It's also huge, almost 3" long.

They sent me the other popular model as well, and I'm a little disappointed in it's quality too. It's better, but still not great. I'll probably end up using it, since it is fairly simple to revert back, until I find a better option.

If all else fails, I'll simply borrow some design cues from the more Audi looking one, and have it machined out of 6061, then anodized mostly black.

No.

I mean yes. But not right now. It's late.

The more I think about it, the more interested I am in making one myself. I how much it would cost though...

OK, I don't have pics yet.

I finally got a key cut at a local hardwear store. $2.99

I opened up my stock spare key, and found that it won't fit in the flip key shell. The buttons *KIND* of line up with two major issues.

a) The panic button is too small. We knew this already. It also sits funny.

b) Since I have the 09 key, it doesn't sit even remotely close to flat in the new case. It's angled and would require substantial grinding.

I wasn't able to get it in there enough to determine if the buttons ACTUALLY line up or not.

So, instead of grinding like a crazy man with a dremel, I decided to try ordering a Honda key with the button assembly. Hopefully, I can program the Honda keypad to work with my Outback. If so, then it's a plug-and-play solution. If the transponder can be keyed to the Outback, that'd be another bonus. If not, then I'm prepared to sacrifice the one from my spare key.

If the Honda keypad can't be programed to work with the Outback, then I'll at least have buttons that line up with the holes in the case and I can do a little grinding of the module from my 09 key to get it to work.

RE: the flip case. It's "meh". The quality CLEARLY isn't what a VW key is, but I'd say it's mostly decent. It feels cheap, but that's probably because there is nothing inside of it yet. The surface gets really scuffed up, but perhaps a coat of Plasti-Dip would help improve the appearance of the key.

Anyone know how Plasti-Dip would hold up to the abuse a key is subject to? The last thing I'd want is to paint the key and have it looking like crap later on, or having the paint come off in the pocket of my pants.

Ideas?

hi all

new owner here, 06 regal blue lgt limited.

anyways.

just starting to browse this forum and this thread def. jumped out at me.

was wondering if anyone was still "building" these for folks? as above i have a 06...

thanks for any help,/guidance.

Archived